Frustration Booking Private Excursions

hishorselover

Hi. Does anyone have any insight into booking private excursions (meaning not booked through the cruise line but not necessarily "private")? It's so frustrating to fill out the online booking forms and then never be contacted.

I really can't offer any insight. We have only booked a cruise line excursion once. All of the others have been independent. Now a few of them became private when we got enough people together from our roll call to book or fill an independent excursion.

I don't know why you aren't hearing back. Recently we booked an independent excursion in La Romana and heard back almost immediately from the tour operator. The same thing with our independent excursion in Aruba. How close is your cruise? Maybe they are already full and just aren't responding. We have never had a problem getting a response from independent tour operators for our many excursions.

Hi. Does anyone have any insight into booking private excursions (meaning not booked through the cruise line but not necessarily "private")? It's so frustrating to fill out the online booking forms and then never be contacted.

What tours? Are you actually contacting the vendors DIRECTLY? In most every port there are numerous vendors to choose from. As mentioned, go to the specific port board and do some research. Also use tripadvisor.com I most always book independent and have been doing so for over 20 years.

I can only tell you Butts-UP cave tubing in Belize and Victor Bodden tours in Roatan are terrific to work with. Tons of communication and super prices. Kind and patient people who answered all of my stupid touristy questions without ever making me feel like the stupid tourist I know I am.

I've read about many others in the Caribbean and Mexico that are also great so not sure which ones you are having trouble with but if you told us someone might know more info.

Recently booked private tours for 2 of our 3 ports upcoming ports. Both were word of mouth recommendations. I was impressed with how fast they got back to me. I would suggest you go to the specifc port of call boards on this website and look around, ask questions. If a company isn't getting back to you after a couple of attempts to reach them, you probably don't want to book with them anyway.

Are you contacting well-known independent operators? I typically receive a reply within 24 hours after submitting a question or filling out an online form.

I am in the group of people who don't book excursions through the cruise line as well. We book independently and I too am very satisfied with how quickly I've gotten responses. Karib for golf carts, Bernards, Island Marketing, Pereira Tours are just the most recent we've used with a very fast response rate.

If you don't mind my asking, which company/ies are you having an issue getting a response from?

Have you checked your spam/ junk folder?

I too have always received fast, courteous replies from independents, even though I made it clear I was just asking a question and not looking to book a tour. Communication is how they make money and if they don't respond quickly, they don't stay in business. I've gotten answers on Sunday evenings!

I agree with all the other suggestions: check your spam folder, look at the website for a phone #. Of course, it's courteous to phone them during THEIR business hours and they probably aren't in your time zone.

Hard to comment on the OP's post since there was no mention of ports or the particular private tour operators. It is very large world (with hundreds of Ports) and there are literally thousands of tour operators. Some are excellent, some good, and some truly suck.

Hank

If we knew where you were going, I'm sure most of us could make recommendations based on our experiences in those ports.

I've only ever booked one excursion through a cruise line (first cruise, first excursion) and have booked in many islands in the Caribbean. I've always used recommendations I've found here in the Port of Call boards and on Trip Advisor and I've never had an issue with a vendor getting back to me.