Canada/New England for kids

JBCall

Hello all,

It has been over 10 years since my wife and I last travelled on HAL. We had a fun time on board the ship and enjoyed the service. It was just the two of us travelling at that time, so even though we were younger than the average demographic it didn't bother us.

We are looking at taking the Canada/New England cruise with our children (14, 10, 8) in July or August. We love the itinerary (6 port days) but are a little unsure about whether our kids will have enough to do (activities, entertainment etc.) on board. We are fairly seasoned cruisers with the kids having been on both Disney and RCCL.

Could anyone give insights as to the activities available for kids. Between the Veendam and the Maasdam are there major differences?

Thanks,

JB

We took our 14 year old granddaughter on an Alaska cruise in May. She was one of about 3 older children on the ship...no teenagers that I could see. She was open to looking at HAL Club when we boarded the ship, but there was no one in the club or anywhere near to talk to. She lost interest after that. She had plenty to do on port days, but sea days(2 of them) were long for her. We are considering taking all the family, including 3 teenage grandchildren on a cruise in the near future, but I don't think it will be on HAL. We are 3 star on HAL so it will kill us to sail another line, but they are what we love them for....a little older demographic and not loads of kids running around

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I would seriously consider the Maasdam over the Veendam for this cruise. The Maasdam still has two pools, so it will be easier for the kids to find room to play in the Lido pool. Adults have the aft pool, should they want it.

New England/Canada is a great itinerary, especially for the older kids. By now they should have studied American history, covering the early settlement, French & Indian War, and some of the events leading up to the American Revolution. What they have studied will all come to life when they see where the British climbed the Plains of Abraham, and where the Battle of Bunker Hill took place. In between there is lots to offer that's fun, and will dissipate energy.

Club HAL is aboard ship to keep the kids occupied for portions of the day. During summer there should be sufficient numbers that they will find friends, but won't be overwhelmed.

We take our two on all our cruises. Our daughter is 3 years older than her brother. First time they were 7 and 10. They love Club Hal and The Loft.

We think Club Hal is the best kept secret. You have to register them the first day. Times that Club Hal/Loft staff will be in the facilities are printed in the daily program that will be waiting for you in your cabin upon embarkation.

There are samples of the daily activities for both The Loft and Club HAL on the halfacts website. From memory, Club Hal has supervised age appropriate activities that, for the 8-12 year olds, include: sports, Olympics, crafts, board games, cooking breakfast in the culinary arts centre, scavenger hunts around the ship, movie nights, pyjama parties..... The Loft for 13-17 year olds is more fluid but still supervised and includes computer time, karaoke, board and card games.....

We are on the July 29 Boston to Montreal voyage on the Maasdam. Our daughter turns 16 on this trip. We tried Disney and that was a disaster. Compared to Club Hal our two hated the unsupervised environment of Disney.

Each night you will receive an itinerary for the next day in your mail slot so your children can plan. Our children want to be there for all open times if we are on the ship.

Incase the link above is removed here are some of the specific activities:

Club Hal

Origami

Balloon races

icecream cool-down

Lights, camera action

Pirate night

Spoon showdown

Vacation photo frame

Fresh air fun

Wacky Olympics

The Loft

Jewelry design

Java meet n greet

Trivia

Capture the flag

Teen breakfast

Walk a mile, joke a mile

Crazy charades

Wii at Sea

Rock The Loft (karaoke, guitar hero....)

We didn't have kids with us when we did the Canada/NewEngland cruise on the Veendam (which I really liked). But the itinerary is so good for kids. Everything we did on this cruise would be something kids the ages of your would like. So, since they'll be spending relatively little time on the ship, I wouldn't be overly concerned with the kids' programs. They will find plenty of kids to play with in the evenings and one sea day on a summer cruise.

While I can't tell you anything about the offerings on the ships cruising to Canada/New England, I want to suggest an excursion that I think your children will absolutely love. It's the Fortress of Louisbourg National Historic Site, which is about 20 miles outside of Sydney NS. Here's the link to the Parks Canada website. Your plans to cruise in July or August will be the perfect timing to see the Park with all the character re-enactors there. They are only at the site during the height of summer. We rented a car when we visited Sydney a couple of years ago on the Maasdam, and we drove out to the Fortress. We had a fantastic time walking throughout the fortress and talking to the re-enactors, who always stay in their characters while talking to you. I cannot emphasize too much what a great time I think your children will have there.

If you'd like to see the pictures I took at the Fortress, they start here in my SmugMug album.

Have fun with your planning. I know you will have a wonderful experience on that cruise.

Since we arrive at 8 a.m. and depart at 4 p.m, I'm a little concerned that there will not be sufficient time to 1) disembark, 2) rent a car, 3) drive to the park, 4) return car, and board again by 3:30 (my limit in case the departure is moved ahead. I agree that my three dgk's would enjoy it. They will be 11, 9, and 7 at the time, but I'm afraid the logistics just won't let us do that. I really wish we had more time there. We took this cruise 12 years ago and found there wasn't much we were interested in doing in Sydney.

Since we arrive at 8 a.m. and depart at 4 p.m, I'm a little concerned that there will not be sufficient time to 1) disembark, 2) rent a car, 3) drive to the park, 4) return car, and board again by 3:30 (my limit in case the departure is moved ahead. I agree that my three dgk's would enjoy it. They will be 11, 9, and 7 at the time, but I'm afraid the logistics just won't let us do that. I really wish we had more time there. We took this cruise 12 years ago and found there wasn't much we were interested in doing in Sydney.

If the timing makes you nervous HAL has an excursion I booked DH and DD on. It gives 1.5 hours of free time at the fort after the guided tour.

I can't go but I didn't want to hold them back. I have a private tour booked in Halifax. Other HAL tours in Main and PEI. Quebec City will be on our own since we speak French.

Cruise more often,

Where were you able to rent a car. In looking at some options, I couldn't find a rental location near the port. Were you able to have the rental office meet you at the dock? What rental agency? Thanks.

The rental agencies come to the dock to pick you up and take you to their location to do the paperwork. I think we used Budget. We were there on a weekday in August. We saw very little traffic on the highway, and it doesn't take long to get there.

I like 1of4's suggestion regarding the HAL excursion. In fact, we are taking that excursion this May because we're going too early for the re-enactors, and I've heard some are provided just for the ships' tours. I'll report when we return.

Just checked the excursion options for Sydney. It appears that the excursion to the fort has a minimum age of 21--won't work for my DGKs who are 11 and under. Guess we'll have to try renting a car.

???

My DD will be 16. The excursion didn't specify age or I missed it. Her name came up on the "buy now" screen.

Just checked the excursion options for Sydney. It appears that the excursion to the fort has a minimum age of 21--won't work for my DGKs who are 11 and under. Guess we'll have to try renting a car.

Relive history at the fortress of Louisbourg

Adult $84.95

Child $59.95

Leaves at 11:30 and takes 4 hours

I would suggest calling HAL. The Fortress is definitely for families, and there were many, many children there last summer. I can't see any reason at all for excluding children.

If you decide to drive, on the Parks Canada site I linked earlier (here's the exact page: http://www.pc.gc.ca/lhn-nhs/ns/louisbourg/visit/tarifs_fees_e.asp?park=36), it looks like you can get in free this year because of Canada's 150th anniversary. You need to order a Discovery Pass. Take a look at that site and save some money!

Edited by Cruise_More_Often

My error. I looked at the wrong date for the cruise, and then didn't notice that the "not for anyone under 21" was actually a carry-over for the previous excursion. Since there are 8 in our party, if we do this I think we will just try to rent cars. I did find the web page about the "free" admission to national parks and have requested one. I will need to have my DD do the same if she thinks this is something we want to do since I can't find a van to rent to seat 8 (means 2 cars!)

Thanks for the info.

We did this cruise on the Maasdam two years ago with our then ten-year-old. He had plenty to do on the ship and preferred being at Club HAL to spending time with us. He and my husband did the bus to Fortress Louisbourg and enjoyed it very much. His favorite stop was Quebec City - just walking around the old parts of the city was fascinating, as was eating at a local restaurant and watching Mama order and chat in French. There was a good mix of kids on board and he made several friends. I expect your children would also enjoy this cruise.