Cobh (Cork), Ireland churches

Our ship will be in port at Cobh from 8-5. We would like to visit as many of the churches as possible via public transportation. Do you think we could visit Saint Fin Barre's Cathedral,

St. Peter & Paul's church and St. Anne's Church in one day? Any suggestions and public transportation directions would greatly be appreciated. Thank you in advance.

Welcome to Cruise Critic. If you pop on over to the Ports of Call board here for Northern Europe, I'm sure some members can give you a good idea of how to do it. EM

Bad advice! Cobh/Cork is covered by the sub forum 'British Isles/Western Europe'

Our ship will be in port at Cobh from 8-5. We would like to visit as many of the churches as possible via public transportation. Do you think we could visit Saint Fin Barre's Cathedral,

St. Peter & Paul's church and St. Anne's Church in one day? Any suggestions and public transportation directions would greatly be appreciated. Thank you in advance.

Take the train from Cobh (train station is just beside the dock) to Cork and get onto the Ho-Ho bus http://www.corkcitytours.com/ , Last years timetable is still showing.

The train station is the 'Kent Station' stop. two stops later is Shandon (St. Annes) next stop is City Goal which is worth a visit. Sheare's Street is the stop for St. Finbarres Cathedral. Grand Parade or South Mall is the stop for St Peter and Pauls.

I think if you get an early train to Cork so that you get the first HoHo bus, you should be able to do all the churches. With a 4pm all aboard for a 5pm sail away you probably should skip the Goal and just concentrate on the churches.

Don't over look St. Colman's Cathedral right there in Cobh. A bit of a hike up the hill from the main waterfront street but very impressive. At least it was for us given it was our first European cathedral.

I traveled by train to Cork and was frankly disappointed. I found Cobh to be much more charming and interesting and wished I had just spent my time there.

Thanks for all the great suggestions.

Please tell me how to get to the ports of call board British Isles/Western Europe.This is my first time using cruise critic.

If you scroll down the index (home) page you will find a section marked 'Ports of Call'. Within the list of sub-forums is 'Europe' - select this. Then you can select the sub-forum for 'British Isles and Western Europe' . If your cruise is going to France, Spain etc there are separate sub-forums for these areas.

Don't forget to join the 'Roll Call' for your cruise.;)

From the main index page, scroll down to 'Roll Calls' then select the cruise line, then your ship, then your sailing date.

There is a lot of information on this site - accessing it is difficult to grasp at first!