Regal Desserts Tasteless

deise17311

I have to agree, Princess does not seem to do a great job with desserts.

I can't say I've had desserts on Princess that really wowed me, even the Norman Love ones.

In the long run, I suppose it helps with the unneeded calories.

I hate wasting, but if I don't like what I've tasted, I'm not going to finish it. It helps to have kids that are human garbage disposals. :)

It doesn't matter if its made from scratch when they use margarine or shortening instead of butter, powdered eggs instead of "real" eggs, and other lower quality ingredients. Also, mousse is supposed to rely on beaten egg whites to firm it up instead of a heavy dose of gelatin. I could tell immediately when they stopped using real butter in the breakfast pastries. I used to love their danish and croissants, and now I rarely bother with them.

I alway thought that the breakfast pastries came from the same place that Costco and BJ's gets theres from. They tasted very commercial to me. The small tarts that they serve in the buffet at lunch all look very inviting but they may as well be made of wax when it come to the taste.

AAB2S7xDvZubjpIFUmBnnm8za

I alway thought that the breakfast pastries came from the same place that Costco and BJ's gets theres from. They tasted very commercial to me. The small tarts that they serve in the buffet at lunch all look very inviting but they may as well be made of wax when it come to the taste.

You noticed. ;)

Coming soon to a ship near you...tasteful deserts for an extra fee of course !

They did have extra charge desserts at the IC a while back. I think they're gone now.

I know they'r every well capable of making very good desserts when they want to. We've had them at the Captain's luncheon a few times. Nothing that you'll ever see in the DR or buffet.

Coming soon to a ship near you...tasteful deserts for an extra fee of course ! They do not seem to be able to do much of anything any more .....unless you pay more!

Than magically they can make a great steak...ect

Reader

My problem with that is given Princess' track record of poor tasting desserts, why would I bother paying for something I will likely not love? It's not like you can get a refund after the first bite, and say, "this is terrible, refund please". :)

My problem with that is given Princess' track record of poor tasting desserts, why would I bother paying for something I will likely not love? It's not like you can get a refund after the first bite, and say, "this is terrible, refund please". :)

I think most people are just saying that you've got to be a little selective on which desserts you choose. At the buffet I usually scan the desserts before I choose my main meal & if nothing looks interesting I'll probably just eat a little more of the regular food & leave the desserts.

I think most people are just saying that you've got to be a little selective on which desserts you choose. At the buffet I usually scan the desserts before I choose my main meal & if nothing looks interesting I'll probably just eat a little more of the regular food & leave the desserts.

I get that.... and Understand

I was commenting on the "paid for" desserts comment that I quoted. It would be difficult for me to willing pay when what I've had, is just okay and not worth the calories, IMHO.

I tend to not order many desserts, and then leave most desserts after 1 bite.

Luckily my kids are less picky so if they have room they will eat my dessert. I hate to waste but I won't eat something I don't like either.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I get that.... and Understand

I was commenting on the "paid for" desserts comment that I quoted. It would be difficult for me to willing pay when what I've had, is just okay and not worth the calories, IMHO.

I tend to not order many desserts, and then leave most desserts after 1 bite.

Luckily my kids are less picky so if they have room they will eat my dessert. I hate to waste but I won't eat something I don't like either.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I hear you. I've never paid for even 1 dessert on any ship.....even the gelata that people rave about.

Why bother when there's decent Princess ice cream at dinner in the DR & sometimes at the buffet.

Our experience with ice milk on Princess ships has been just that. Just plain nasty. :(

I will stick with regular ice cream or gelato.

Keith,

Boy do you have this one right. When you say the ice milk is nasty that makes it sound good it's a lot worse then that.

Tony

• 7 years later...

May 21, 2024. First cruise; Vancouver to Alaska. (May 14 to the 21st.) I don't want to diss the cruise line desserts; just offering my "taste bud" opinion. As  many have already said; most of the desserts have different colors/shapes, and familiar names--But; alas; they are virtually tasteless. Don't expect cheesecake to resemble a proper cream-cheese cake. Their version is the un-cheesecake. The creme brulee has the customary; brittle carmelized sugar topping. So far; so good. The "creme brulee" (custard) part? Do you like sugar? Lots of sugar? No? Avoid! Horribly sweet; no flavor. My blood sugar probably shot up eight points. Ugh. Whether you go to the buffet; or eat in the no-charge dining rooms--The desserts all taste the same. I've had tiramisu made by an Italian pastry chef. Out of this world. That's my standard. This one tasted like the "creme brulee"--Overly sweet; no flavor. Tiramisu? Pathetic. Not even close to being close. Oh well. Ending on a positive note: I can't recall the name of the following dessert: In one of the (several) buffet rooms; I spotted a chocolate colored "brownie-like" dessert in a baking dish. It had some walnuts on top; and the attendant spooned a good sized portion into a bowl--And ladled a light colored chocolate sauce on the side.

(1) It was a hot dessert. (2) It was delightfully moist. (3) The top had a thin; appetizing; "crunchy" crust. I took my first taste with a spoonful of some of the warm chocolate sauce....Oh! Delicious!!!! The dessert...the sauce...the walnuts...all came together perfectly. I couldn't get enough; but had to use some discipline. I was on the alert--The next day...Not there. I kept waiting/watching/hoping....But; 'twas not to be. Anyway; my wife and I were on the Ruby Princess. Overall; a decent experience. Too bad the desserts had to be so bland, and basically flavorless. Oh--One more thing. The chocolate mousse was basically a good chocolate pudding. It wasn't a stiffer; foamy; melt-in-your-mouth mousse. So--If you like dessert; don't set the bar too high. If you are watching your sugar intake; the taste bud reward isn't worth the insulin spike.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1