Adventure of the Seas - SJU airport question/departure/etc.

birdlord

I haven't sailed from San Juan in 20 years! So, I'm wondering what customs entails in San Juan versus Fort Lauderdale? I thought I read there were more steps involved...but not entirely sure since it's still the U.S....

Secondly, that answer will have much to do with my flight planning. We did the express self-debarkation on our last cruise (Harmony) and it was smooth as silk. We to the airport WELL in advance of when we needed to be there. Is that the general experience on Adventure and going to SJU? The flight I'd like departs 9:45 a.m., but I'm willing to wait to the 1:30 pm flight if that 9:45 is cutting it too close with whatever differences there may be in San Juan versus Florida.

I sailed by first cruise out of San Juan back in 2014 and am about to go again on Adventure this spring. I read for years here, 2006-2010 about extra long lines getting through agriculture inspection at the airport. Customs at the port can be a little slow but nothing out of the ordinary compared to Port Everglades. ,

I haven't sailed from San Juan in 20 years! So, I'm wondering what customs entails in San Juan versus Fort Lauderdale? I thought I read there were more steps involved...but not entirely sure since it's still the U.S....

Secondly, that answer will have much to do with my flight planning. We did the express self-debarkation on our last cruise (Harmony) and it was smooth as silk. We to the airport WELL in advance of when we needed to be there. Is that the general experience on Adventure and going to SJU? The flight I'd like departs 9:45 a.m., but I'm willing to wait to the 1:30 pm flight if that 9:45 is cutting it too close with whatever differences there may be in San Juan versus Florida.

Before checking in with the airlines all your luggage and carryon's will need to go through the agriculture scanner. A sticker will be placed on your belonging after scanned by an agent.

Before checking in with the airlines all your luggage and carryon's will need to go through the agriculture scanner. A sticker will be placed on your belonging after scanned by an agent.

Although technically, that's not customs, it's USDA. To make sure that food based pests don't get to the US.

As for the flight- IMHO, 9:45 is a little tight- for us, we would shoot to be at the airport at 7:45. While that is feasible, as the ship actually arrives quite early in the morning, it's also risky. 1:45 would be a lot more relaxing- no need to get up and be ready SUPER early after the last night on the ship and whatnot.

Although technically, that's not customs, it's USDA. To make sure that food based pests don't get to the US.

As for the flight- IMHO, 9:45 is a little tight- for us, we would shoot to be at the airport at 7:45. While that is feasible, as the ship actually arrives quite early in the morning, it's also risky. 1:45 would be a lot more relaxing- no need to get up and be ready SUPER early after the last night on the ship and whatnot.

Okay, now I'm understanding about the USDA thing -- I honestly don't remember that at all, but it makes sense. I am leaning towards the later flight. It's just that the self-debarkation was so much nicer than sitting around waiting for a tag number to get called; but I don't want DH to be moaning the whole time we're at the airport waiting. Thanks everyone for the helpful info!

Just making sure the birdlord knew about the AG screening which was he/she didn't remember it.

Just off Adventure. We didn't fly out until Sunday, so our airport experience was a bit different. But I can tell you that the immigration checkpoint at the pier was very slow moving. Those who walked off with luggage got right through, but the rest of us had a wait of 15 or 20 minutes. Not to bad, but it did slow us down. At the airport on Sunday, the USDA line was almost non-existent and it took maybe 2 minutes. But I'd be worried about a very early flight on Saturday. In addition to the USDA check, the TSA security lines are really unpredictable. Without PreCheck, could easily wait 30-40 minutes if you arrive at the wrong moment.

The trick we've learned from other cc'ers and used both times we flew out of SJU is to spend a few dollars for a tip and use the porters in both the cruise port and the airport. They know exactly where to go and seem to get you through the lines quicker.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Okay, now I'm understanding about the USDA thing -- I honestly don't remember that at all, but it makes sense. I am leaning towards the later flight. It's just that the self-debarkation was so much nicer than sitting around waiting for a tag number to get called; but I don't want DH to be moaning the whole time we're at the airport waiting. Thanks everyone for the helpful info!

No reason you can't do both.

Walk off whenever you want. As long as you can keep you luggage out of other's ways- walking off the ship with all of your stuff is really easy. We do it every cruise.

Or you can walk of early, head over to San Juan, hang out for a little while and then head over to the airport. The cost will be the extra cost of a taxi to Old San Juan.

Just off Adventure. We didn't fly out until Sunday, so our airport experience was a bit different. But I can tell you that the immigration checkpoint at the pier was very slow moving. Those who walked off with luggage got right through, but the rest of us had a wait of 15 or 20 minutes. Not to bad, but it did slow us down. At the airport on Sunday, the USDA line was almost non-existent and it took maybe 2 minutes. But I'd be worried about a very early flight on Saturday. In addition to the USDA check, the TSA security lines are really unpredictable. Without PreCheck, could easily wait 30-40 minutes if you arrive at the wrong moment.

I see you are just off the Adventure, I know this is off topic. (sorry) Do you recal the price of Voom (internet) per day for 1 device? Not sure whether to book on the ship or a special they are running for 30%off . Thanks for any help.

I see you are just off the Adventure, I know this is off topic. (sorry) Do you recal the price of Voom (internet) per day for 1 device? Not sure whether to book on the ship or a special they are running for 30%off . Thanks for any help.

Probably better off booking in advance. Everything is cheaper booking before sailing. I can't imagine internet would be different.

Was on Adventure in December. Have sailed out of San Juan multiple times since early 2000's. The USDA thing is no big deal, takes no more than a few minutes. As others have said, security lines can be lengthy but no different from any other airport I've used, domestically or internationally. That said I'd definitely go with the 1:30 flight as 9:45 is cutting it way too close. Airport is a good 20-30 mins from the port and traffic can be heavy.