Where to Obtain Kina in Sydney CBD?

ssawjo

We are cruising to PNG this April and I would like to exchange either US dollars or AU dollars for some Kina to use while in PNG.

We are staying a few days at the Shangri-La Hotel before leaving. Any suggestions for a nearby location to do the exchange?

Thanks,

Bill & Kathi

Definitely ordering it is the way to go.

If your itinerary is going to Rabaul or Port Moresby first. then you may be able to use an ATM and get a cash advance, (I not sure if they will have any cash in them or are accessible to the port/dock.)

Definitely ordering it is the way to go.

If your itinerary is going to Rabaul or Port Moresby first. then you may be able to use an ATM and get a cash advance, (I not sure if they will have any cash in them or are accessible to the port/dock.)

You can't rely on that. On the cruise I did one of the banks had people come onboard to sell Kina (at a much better rate than Amex, by the way) but they ran out before 9:30am. It was a Sunday so banks were shut, and all the ATMs ran out as well from what I heard. Much better to get some before leaving Sydney.

You can't rely on that. On the cruise I did one of the banks had people come onboard to sell Kina (at a much better rate than Amex, by the way) but they ran out before 9:30am. It was a Sunday so banks were shut, and all the ATMs ran out as well from what I heard. Much better to get some before leaving Sydney.

That is why I said to definitely order it in, to ensure that you have some ready for the first visit..

We used small denomination Aus notes with no problems in PNG. There was no local Kina available on our Princess cruise ship.

The problem with using AUD is that it is very difficult and very expensive for them to change it to Kina, especially those that live on the smaller islands. We noticed quite a few locals begging for people to change the AUD they had for Kina.

Thank you everyone for your replies and ideas. I will look around in the states to see if there is place to order some Kina. If I fail, I will make some arrangement in Sydney to obtain some. I'll have a few days before sailing.

Bill