Zaandam in Antarctica 2018

ekkc10753

:confused:

We have a deposit on the BA-V Zaandam Antarctica cruise next January (which can't come soon enough for me!)

I have a couple of questions that maybe someone who's done this cruise before can answer

The itinerary lists "Antarctica Experience" from 8AM-6PM :confused: When I asked the Future Cruise rep on board our last cruise what happens at 6PM, she said "It gets dark, you can't see anything"....shouldn't it be pretty much daylight almost all the time in January in Antarctica? One of us is really confused!!

another question I have is clothing; I'm assuming that, like Alaska, Antarctica is a little less "Gala" on Gala evenings. And otherwise layers and more layers is the name of the game!

I'm planning (I know, far too early, but I can't help it) on bringing my own binoculars and shoes with good grippy soles, plus the aforementioned layers. Is there anything else that you found to be really useful for this specific cruise?

We are so looking forward to this!!!!:D

You're right---this is not the Equator where the sun slams into the horizon at 6:00 PM. There will be light quite late, but since you are north of the Antarctic Circle, there will be late night periods of darkness.

What does happen at 6:00 PM is any commentary will likely end, unless you are in something spectacular. Then, it will start up again!

Antarctica gets a lot colder outside than Alaska every thought of getting! It's land, which holds the cold much better than water, and it's ice & snow. That wind coming off the land can be bitter, cut to the bone. Yes, dress in layers, know where the leeward side of the ship is, and be prepared to go in to warm up every once in a while.

There will also be many periods when there is little, if any, wind, the temperatures will be higher, and being outside is delightful. It varies.

I've seen people quite nicely dressed on the dress up nights, but haven't done this cruise since HAL switched from Formal to Gala nights.

You are not going ashore in Antarctica, but might want those shoes with the "grippy soles" in some of the other ports, depending on what you plan to do. I've never taken any special shoes, and have even been out to the penguin colony outside of Punta Arenas a couple of times. They have a boardwalk. Another penguin colony excursion, though, has rougher terrain.

ekkc, you are in for a treat!

We enjoyed this cruise SO MUCH we are planning to repeat it in 2019-2020 (holidays). Here is a link to my log/review of the 2016-2017 cruise. http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2302990

When in Antarctica, we never saw darkness. Yes, the sun did set for about 2 1/2 hours, but we were not awake at 1:30 AM! There was still light outdoors at Midnight on New Year's, 2017. We had commentary into the evening. Most likely the people answering the phones have not been on this cruise and really just don't know. I would say the entire time you are in Antarctic waters is all part of the "Experience!"

Note that if you do private tours the time to start planning those is now. There are only a handful of private tour operators in most of these South American ports.

Gala nights were VERY "Gala." Our experience is the longer the cruise the more "Formal" gala tends to be. This is three weeks. Not a majority but a lot of Tuxedos, certainly nice suits for men. I don't recall anyone at the 'minimum' dress for the gala nights. OTOH, we were a holiday cruise (only time I can get away for long enough) and they may be more 'gala.'

Have fun planning and have a wonderful cruise!

Later in the evening the ship goes a little further out from land, so the scenic viewing may be done for the day, but the light remains behind until quite late. I remember moving out one evening and then coming back in early the next day to pick up scientists from Palmer Station. 8 am to 6 pm give you a rough time table for scenic viewing.

Dress in layers is the most valuable information. The first day we were in Antarctica it was windy. I went up on the highest deck for pictures and literally had to walk backwards because the wind took my breath away. I'd turn around quickly, snap my picture and turn back around. The next day I was in the hot tub on the aft deck as it was sunny and 62.

Shoes with good grippy soles may come on handy if the decks get wet from spray. Also, they could be good depending on what kind of excursions you choose to do in ports. I went hiking in Ushuaia, but they gave us Wellington boots to wear. That was a good thing because it was pretty muddy in spots. For most of the other excursions, no special footwear was necessary.

We still had formal nights, but I imagine people do dress nicely and probably the same as they did back then. There was a range from the tuxes to the sports coats and long dresses to Sunday best.

Enjoy this cruise. It was one of the best experiences I've had and I plan to do this again.

I had an aft balcony on the Prinsendam's Antarctic adventure last year, so I saw both sides, though a little out of synch with the commentary.

Bring warm clothes, binoculars and a camera. As you are not leaving the ship, don't see what else you'd want. Maybe a travel mug for hot coffee and a blanket if you don't like theirs for sitting.

I'd like to do it again some year but it's not urgent for me now that I've seen it.

I am hoping to take this cruise someday. I have a question about rooms. I don't think we can afford a balcony, are there ample places to view the scenery, if booked in an inside room.

Absolutely! In fact, I wouldn't just limit viewing to my balcony if I had one. The best views are from the outside decks. They will open the bow and there are vantages higher up as well. The promenade deck gives another perspective and the aft deck is also great for viewing. If you're on the observation deck outside the Crow's Nest, then you have the ability to stop in there for a warm up and continue the view through the panoramic windows.

I am hoping to take this cruise someday. I have a question about rooms. I don't think we can afford a balcony, are there ample places to view the scenery, if booked in an inside room.

Plenty of outside places that are just fine for viewing in all sorts of weather. I have sailed this route three times in an inside cabin.

Lower Promenade is a great spot. It is so close to the water that you will be able to see the penguins as they dash through the water. Just as important, there are areas with wind breaks out there, so you can be somewhat sheltered, yet see things "up close and personal". On calmer days, I just get a couple of blankets and plunk myself on a lounger and spend hours out there taking it all in.

Lido aft gives expansive views, and is still somewhat sheltered (unless the wind is coming straight on). Handy to hot food & drink, and a restroom, too.

Make sure you have a wind break layer. All the warm layers will not be as effective if you don't have that.

Good gloves are important too.

And a HAT. You can put your hands in your pockets but you will NEED a hat for your head.

Roy

:confused:

another question I have is clothing; I'm assuming that, like Alaska, Antarctica is a little less "Gala" on Gala evenings. And otherwise layers and more layers is the name of the game!

We and friends of ours will be on the Jan 8th Antarctica cruise and from the way it sounds we'll be the noticeable ones in the MDR on Gala nights as I for one am leaving my tie and dinner coat at home. Not taking the dinner coat leaves more room in the suit case for other "layering" clothes to bring. That's my excuse anyway and I'm sticking to it. :)

The Zaandam just sails by. All you can do is wave to Antarctica. Why not book one of the cruise lines that does landings and gets you to shore? Then you can truly say you've been to Antarctica!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

My understanding is that it's quite a bit more than just sail-by and wave; the ship spends a good bit of time in the water off Antarctica. But I have two serious reasons for choosingg the HAL cruise, one is $$$, a sad reality. But also there's the issue of tromping around a fairly fragile environment. Is it essential for my experience of Antarctic that I tred all over small organisms or possibly carry germs onto the continent? I might be being hyper vigilent, but I'm content with my choice

This was a wonderful cruise - I would love to repeat it. I packed Goretex jacket and pants for wind/rain, with layers underneath for warmth, and used them on the Antarctica portion as well as one Ushuaia excursion. Hat, gloves, binoculars - don't forget sunscreen for Antarctica - including your lips. We liked our ocean-view cabin - could run up one flight to the promenade deck, but could also watch penguins floating by our window on icebergs.

We and friends of ours will be on the Jan 8th Antarctica cruise and from the way it sounds we'll be the noticeable ones in the MDR on Gala nights as I for one am leaving my tie and dinner coat at home. Not taking the dinner coat leaves more room in the suit case for other "layering" clothes to bring. That's my excuse anyway and I'm sticking to it. :)

You'll be fine.

My understanding is that it's quite a bit more than just sail-by and wave; the ship spends a good bit of time in the water off Antarctica. But I have two serious reasons for choosingg the HAL cruise, one is $$$, a sad reality. But also there's the issue of tromping around a fairly fragile environment. Is it essential for my experience of Antarctic that I tred all over small organisms or possibly carry germs onto the continent? I might be being hyper vigilent, but I'm content with my choice

It's a sail-by, nothing more. But totally acknowledge the price difference - it's indeed significant.

There is no "tromping around". Ships that do landings operate under very strict regulations. For example, every square inch of your outer layer needs to be cleaned, disinfected, checked and signed off by a certified naturalist before going on shore. From there on out, before and after each landing, boots, tracking poles, etc. need to be disinfected over and over again. There are mandatory briefings, rules about where you can and can't walk, etc. etc.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

It's a sail-by, nothing more.

The cruise is very special. Not everyone can, or wants to, set foot on the continent.

Beyond that, the OP is asking a question about the cruise they have chosen. If you can't answer the question, there's no point in posting for the sole reason of finding fault with the OP's choice.

If anyone mentions it, I'll just tell them I'm a fruit farmer and raise honey bees and wearing a nice dress shirt and slacks is me dressing up. :)

That reminds me of the time my sisters and I wore our yellow and black matching "bee" outfits and went shopping together. We told everyone we were bee keepers.

You will want two of everything -- gloves, hats, shoes, socks, scarves -- because you will want to be outside whether it is snowing, sleeting, raining, fog and anything else. And one can be drying while you wear the other. Inside the ship will be quite comfortable so usual cruise wear will work. Just remember that in the rest of South America, it is summer and you will need some lighter weight clothes.

The cruise is very special. Not everyone can, or wants to, set foot on the continent.

Beyond that, the OP is asking a question about the cruise they have chosen. If you can't answer the question, there's no point in posting for the sole reason of finding fault with the OP's choice.

Thanks Ruth! Its a drag when someone tries to take the wind out of my sails!

Thanks Ruth! Its a drag when someone tries to take the wind out of my sails!

You're welcome.

I hate it when I review my options and make a decision on what's best for me, and someone comes along to tell me why I'm wrong. :rolleyes: