Passport 6 month rule

rdemn

My comment to the OP is, your passport will expire this fall!

We just renewed our passports, which were expiring in August 2017. It took 3 weeks and two days from the time we mailed the forms to receive the new passports. Be aware though, the forms say it could take up to 6 weeks. I am thinking that summer could take longer since the travel demand is usually higher then?

Point being, if you are not traveling for at least 6 weeks from now, or the time you submit the renewal forms and picture, why not just update the passports now? You still have to fill out the forms, pay the $$ ($110 or so) whether you do it now or later.

While we didn't get the full 10 yrs out of our previous passports, it just took out any issues, in case we decide to travel this Spring/Summer. :)

My comment to the OP is, your passport will expire this fall!

We just renewed our passports, which were expiring in August 2017. It took 3 weeks and two days from the time we mailed the forms to receive the new passports. Be aware though, the forms say it could take up to 6 weeks. I am thinking that summer could take longer since the travel demand is usually higher then?

Point being, if you are not traveling for at least 6 weeks from now, or the time you submit the renewal forms and picture, why not just update the passports now? You still have to fill out the forms, pay the $$ ($110 or so) whether you do it now or later.

While we didn't get the full 10 yrs out of our previous passports, it just took out any issues, in case we decide to travel this Spring/Summer. :)

Plus, what is $110 (or so) over ten, sorry 9 1/2 years?

Passports make travel easier, what ever your destination!

We cruised to Mexico in December 2016 and didn't need a passport.

He was talking about a land based trip, which requires a passport. The only cruise i have ever been on that required a passport was a an Alaskan trip which stopped in Canada.

If you are using your passport as proof of citizenship, it must not expire in the next 6 months at the completion of your cruise. You can use another form of proof of citizenship, like a certified birth certificate or passport card.

My dad cruised last year and the day he got off the ship, his passport expired in 9 days. He was fine. I have called numerous times to Carnival and they suggest 6 months for a passport. I am cruising at the end of the month and come back March 4th. Mine expires 3 weeks later. I am still going because its still valid.

• 10 months later...

HI I'm in a similar situation would you be able to email me or post the screenshot on here that mentions the listed below?

Thanks.

I'm going on a cruise to the Bahamas in April and just did the check in online and it specifically said the passport needs to be valid until the last day of the cruise. I remember it saying the 6 month thing before, but it didn't this time. For things like this I always take a Screenshot, then if anyone makes an issue I've got proof.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Forums mobile app

According to the government webpage, Mexico is a fine as long as its valid throughout the trip. I'm heading out in 5 days and mine expires 1 month after I get back. https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/international-travel/International-Travel-Country-Information-Pages/Mexico.html

Sent from my iPad using Forums

It is good to be well informed.

No passport is needed for a US citizen on a closed loop cruise from a US port. This includes the Caribbean and Alaska. A birth certificate and photo ID will do nicely.

Continuing....there is no 6 month rule in the Caribbean for 'in transit' cruise passengers with passports who are US citizens.

Unless there is a fire that disables the ship and have to fly back to the United States. But this has never happened on board a Carnival Ship. :rolleyes:

or a close relative dies and you need to get back. Not to depress you but my father in law is in serious condition. We have thought of cancelling the cruise but Mom and Dad said we should go. We leave Friday with trip insurance and PASSPORTS, sorry about the caps, but we would never leave U.S. soil without a passport.

Unless there is a fire that disables the ship and have to fly back to the United States. But this has never happened on board a Carnival Ship. :rolleyes:

Actually the better example is the CCL ship that disembarked everyone in St Martin as a precaution. Those without passports were given a letter from CBP allowing them to board a plane without a passport and made it back at the same time as everyone else.

or a close relative dies and you need to get back. Not to depress you but my father in law is in serious condition. We have thought of cancelling the cruise but Mom and Dad said we should go. We leave Friday with trip insurance and PASSPORTS, sorry about the caps, but we would never leave U.S. soil without a passport.

Sorry about your FIL and yes, that is a consideration but it doesn't apply to everyone. A bigger consideration is, does one have the money to travel back from the cruise in the event something happens back home? Even if one has insurance payment for the airfare needs to be made first and then reimbursed and while airlines sometimes offer a lower fare in that situation it can still be pricey. (And if someone is traveling with a passport that expires the day after the cruise then it's valid for a return flight to the US.) In any event, I do hope that you'll be able to enjoy your cruise.

Going on the Carnival Dream May 21 2017 with stops in Roatan Honduras May 24 2017 and Belize City Belize on May 25 2017. My passport expires six months to the day on November 25, 2017 do you think I should renew my passport?

The 6 month rule is for flying, so if you were leaving the country on a flight in the next 6 months, yes, but if not, you can wait!

Renew it before you sail and save yourself the worry. If something happens and you need to fly home from one of the ports, you will need a passport.

We went on a cruise in Nov. and our passports were going to expire in Jan. and we didn't get around to renewing them in time because we had been traveling a lot last fall. Had our birth certificates, or so we thought. 3 days before the cruise we couldn't find DH's birth certificate! I called his birth state's dept. to see if I could get a new one overnighted. The day before the cruise was a holiday (Vet's Day) and their office was closed. I can't tell you how wonderful the woman was and worked hard for us to make sure we got everything we needed to fax and get the new birth certificate overnighted. It arrived at 5pm the day before the cruise. For awhile I though I'd be going on the cruise alone. As soon as we got home, we renewed our passports and received our new ones in about 10 days or less.

Renew it before you sail and save yourself the worry. If something happens and you need to fly home from one of the ports, you will need a passport.

We went on a cruise in Nov. and our passports were going to expire in Jan. and we didn't get around to renewing them in time because we had been traveling a lot last fall. Had our birth certificates, or so we thought. 3 days before the cruise we couldn't find DH's birth certificate! I called his birth state's dept. to see if I could get a new one overnighted. The day before the cruise was a holiday (Vet's Day) and their office was closed. I can't tell you how wonderful the woman was and worked hard for us to make sure we got everything we needed to fax and get the new birth certificate overnighted. It arrived at 5pm the day before the cruise. For awhile I though I'd be going on the cruise alone. As soon as we got home, we renewed our passports and received our new ones in about 10 days or less.

You put yourself under a lot of stress needlessly. Your passport is valid for reentry into the US up until the day it expires and if it's valid through the end of the cruise then it would be valid if you needed to leave mid-cruise to return home.

He was talking about a land based trip, which requires a passport. The only cruise i have ever been on that required a passport was a an Alaskan trip which stopped in Canada.

We had a port stop in Costa Rica on a HAL cruise. You had to have a passport for Costa Rica. Without one you could not even board the ship at the start. HAL did send at least 3 emails reminding/warning that you need a pp - the first 2 early enough to apply if you didn't have one.

You will be fine and can renew when you get home.

AS long as your passport is not expired before you show up at the US Customs on your way back into the country, even if something happens and you need to fly home, you will be OK.

The 6 moth rule is when you are entering a country not on a closed loop trip, and most of the time it is an airline requirement NOT the requirement of any government. I am not saying there are no governments that have this requirement, but most do not.