Cruise Director Review

tx121

Ricky Matthews was one of my least favorites. His Love & Marriage was embarrassing, in that he didn't conduct it the same way as other CDs, where the panelists are brought off-stage. He had them face back to back and made the entire show about himself, rather than the guests. I've never seen such a steady stream of people leaving a RCL show (except for the second half of CATS).

How long ago was that? I've seen 3 of this L&M shows, and didn't see that. Maybe he was experimenting with some new. (New questions would be nice)

Best

1. Marc “Bing Bong” Walker

!

I hope to have him again, He was good, but the one cruise I had with him was his very last one on Majesty back in 2016 and he was obviously packed and ready to go home.

I hope to have him again, He was good, but the one cruise I had with him was his very last one on Majesty back in 2016 and he was obviously packed and ready to go home.

Maybe he will be back on Symphony for your April 2019 sailing. I am trying to get on the TA, and having Marc as CD makes it even more appealing.

As for L&M - am I the only person who thinks it should be a maximum of 3 couples? Bobby Brown does it with 4, and I don't see the point in adding a 4th couple. With the 4 couple arrangement, the men have to stand, although I would be curious as to how that would work with a gay couple.

Bobby does have some different questions, by the way. There are the standard questions, but most of the different CD's all have some of their own material to use.

I know that I talk a lot about Abe being the best CD, but the below L&M show perfectly sums up why. I'm not sure how some of the other CD's would have handled these couples.

You know what? I just heart that RCI has a same sex couple on the game show :). I haven’t seen that before..: but awesome!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Favorite- Ricky Matthews. So fun!

Least favorite- can’t remember her name, but she was on Adventure and sounded like a Sophia Vergara. She was loud and annoying. Note, some would say I’m loud and annoying too, but she’s definitely worse than me ;)

The only problem I had with Ken Rush was he was so full of himself. Everything was a Ken Rush production.

I loved Ken... he said my favorite line ever, that my husband and I often quote- “I thought this was the line for the boo-Fay”. It was a story about people in the wrong, long line. We now say it if we witness super long lines :). I think he was our CD maybe 15 years ago?

You know what? I just heart that RCI has a same sex couple on the game show :). I haven’t seen that before..: but awesome!!!

I agree. From a gay perspective, I really appreciate that Abe let them participate, and they were really fun. Abe actually handled the difference really well and made a great deal of comedy out of it, especially with the bleeped out answer. I just can't imagine how a more conservative CD that I have had like Bobby Brown or John Blair would have dealt with this couple.

I agree. From a gay perspective, I really appreciate that Abe let them participate, and they were really fun. Abe actually handled the difference really well and made a great deal of comedy out of it, especially with the bleeped out answer. I just can't imagine how a more conservative CD that I have had like Bobby Brown or John Blair would have dealt with this couple.

So, in all honesty, I just watched the first part of the video, but it was great :)

So, in all honesty, I just watched the first part of the video, but it was great :)

Watch the second round. The gay couple gave a really risqué answer that Abe asked the production crew to bleep out. I could pretty much guess what they were saying and am not sure it was serious enough to be censored, but I'll let Abe be the judge of that one.

It really was hilarious.

Edited by Joe12

I loved Ken... he said my favorite line ever, that my husband and I often quote- “I thought this was the line for the boo-Fay”. It was a story about people in the wrong, long line. We now say it if we witness super long lines :). I think he was our CD maybe 15 years ago?

So... was discussing this thread with DH, and he insists that we had Ken on our first cruise, on Carnival... Did Ken work with Carnival first?

So... was discussing this thread with DH, and he insists that we had Ken on our first cruise, on Carnival... Did Ken work with Carnival first?

No - Ken is very much Loyal to Royal. Even if he did work for Carnival before hand, it would not have been in 1998 as they were launching the Vision Class and preparing to launch the Voyager Class, both of which Ken was involved with.

No - Ken is very much Loyal to Royal. Even if he did work for Carnival before hand, it would not have been in 1998 as they were launching the Vision Class and preparing to launch the Voyager Class, both of which Ken was involved with.

Hmmm, we must have had him on our first RC cruise...

I'll echo what many others have said and say Graham Seymour and Richard Spacey are by far my favorites. Best team was Spacey and Jamie as AM...they were great together!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Agree completely! those two were awesome together. I could tell that Jamie would be a great CD. I'd love to be on one of his sailings sometime.

Richard Spacey is by far the most over-rated. Had him as our cd on our Freedom back-to-back a few years ago and then again on Celebrity Silhouette. Not sure how he fits on a ship what with his swollen head. And his "shtick" does not vary even one iota. Same jokes over and over again. Even his"comments' at Quest are scripted (sail with him two weeks in a row and you can see it).And his "movie" that plays on a loop in the staterooms is a vanity project if ever I saw one.

Otherwise all others we have met have been fine. In general don't care who the cd is.

Had Richard Spacey on Celebrity last summer he loved himself and the video at the end of the cruise was all about him.

Graham Seymour was great on our Rhapsody transatlantic in November. I think he said he was off to fill in on one of the Royal ships in Australia round about now.

• 3 weeks later...
Ricky Matthews was one of my least favorites. His Love & Marriage was embarrassing, in that he didn't conduct it the same way as other CDs, where the panelists are brought off-stage. He had them face back to back and made the entire show about himself, rather than the guests. I've never seen such a steady stream of people leaving a RCL show (except for the second half of CATS).

Yet Graham Seymour conducted the L&M exactly the same way on the Explorer Transpacific this past Spring and he is seemingly very popular.

Yet Graham Seymour conducted the L&M exactly the same way on the Explorer Transpacific this past Spring and he is seemingly very popular.

Ricky is very popular as well though - it just sounds like a flawed L&M approach, IMO.

I agree 100% with this post!

Mark me down for a fan of Ken Rush. We had him on our first cruise in 1999 on Enchantment. It was his last voyage on Enchantment as he was taking Voyager out the week after. Some may say he is full of himself, but we thought he was fabulous and found him very personable whenever we spoke with him. He seemed to be everywhere all the time. RCI obviously thinks he does a great job as he was usually involved with taking new ships out.

Mike Szwajkowski is back!

I just got the off the Brilliance OTS January 29th sailing where Mike Szwajkowski, after spending two weeks onboard getting up to speed, took over as CD.

I thought Mike did a great job and can see why he got a lot of favorable reviews in the past. He was genuinely friendly as well as funny and entertaining without being obnoxiously silly. Mike also knows some cool magic tricks.

I especially appreciated the recognition he gave to our military veterans. When he saw how many vets were onboard, Mike even scheduled a special gathering for veterans and their spouses which included a rendition of The Star Spangled Banner by the sailing's headliner singer Jimmy Hopper.

To be honest, while they definitely can improve the cruise experience, I rarely remember who the CD was after my cruise has ended. I will never forget the antics of Richard Spacey and, while he had been my favorite, I don’t think I would have enjoyed it if I had repeatedly sailed with him.

Mike is my new favorite and I would thoroughly enjoy sailing with him again.

~ Judy