HAL Coastal Cruises

Loveboat1995

They only offer them because some people want to get off in San Diego (in our case). HAL actually offers the full cruise for just a couple of dollars more than R/T San Diego as a lost leader to try to keep the same passengers on board. Our 33 day cruise was literally $1 and change more than the 30 day last time.

I don't know if all the coastals are this way. Just my experience with the two we did. I was warned by those that had done them before that once the coastal segment started I would see a "change". They were right.

I don't know if the change would be noticeable to those embarking for the coastal or to someone who had not sailed HAL, but it was certainly noticeable to those of us that had been on previously.

Having done several repositioning cruises where the last 3 or 4 days are a coastal cruise segment, I can certainly agree with Kazu that there is a definite change in just about everything, but that would not be noticeable to the new passengers embarking, because they wouldn't know the difference.

Very fast. You are on the ship around noon and off early the next morning. Normally the one night between Vancouver and Seattle cruises are carry on bags only- no checked luggage. Customs likely a breeze- they will probably just wave you through.

We did one in 1993 when Maasdam was in inaugural cruises and don't plan on doing it again. Seemed everyone was in too much of a rush to do everything possible- especially getting drunk. We are doing our first Coastal since on May on Amsterdam for 3 nights. We have done a few others that were B2B with another cruise but we aren't big fans of even 7 night. Our "sweet spot" seems to be 11-14 nights.

I hope this doesn't mean that checked baggage is not available. I am booked on the Oosterdam 1-day as a prelude to the Amsterdam Grand Asia (35 days on the ship) and I will NOT be travelling light.

Roy

I hope this doesn't mean that checked baggage is not available. I am booked on the Oosterdam 1-day as a prelude to the Amsterdam Grand Asia (35 days on the ship) and I will NOT be travelling light.

Roy

You might want to send an e now to HAL to make sure that you can be accommodated and/or to make arrangements and have that email with you to be safe.

I know when we were disembarking in Vancouver, everyone we saw embarking (we stayed over so had fun watching - always nice to watch people boarding and the ships) had carry on's. that doesn't mean someone didn't check luggage. I just didn't see it.

Everyone I saw boarding in San Diego for the 3 day had carry on luggage as well.

Roy

Since you are on a B2B I'm sure there will be no problem with luggage. I agree with Jacqui that you should contact HAL to make sure your cruises are linked. Last few B2B's we've done our card keys showed our true disembarkation date after both cruises.

We haven't done a one night since 1993 but have heard from others that there is no checked baggage for the one night passengers. Don't know if it is a fact- have only read it here.

I did a one nighter in Vancouver, prior to the 14 day Alaska cruise. It's just easier for us to fly to Vancouver than to Seattle. We had no issues with checked luggage (although, we had the hotel bellman transport the luggage to the terminal for us so I don't really know if there were issues at their end). I do know that we received all of our luggage onboard. We had two different booking numbers because we added on the 1 nighter (which I booked online myself) to the 14 day Alaska cruise.

By all means, contact HAL to confirm, but having checked luggage was not an issue for us (three years ago).

Thank you all! I have seen that HAL is now offering a four day coastal next year as well as several one and three days that all look appealing. If I go for one, I will probably go for a longer one unless I don't have that option in which case I will take the one day one to get my foot in the door so to speak and take a longer one in the future.

Thanks for posting the above about the new sailings in Spring 2018. I just booked a five-night on Zaandam leaving San Diego on May 1 that visits San Francisco before disembarking in Vancouver. And I got an ocean view for 160% single supplement. Lovely.

I know when we were disembarking in Vancouver, everyone we saw embarking (we stayed over so had fun watching - always nice to watch people boarding and the ships) had carry on's. that doesn't mean someone didn't check luggage. I just didn't see it.
Thoughts....

• Vancouver checked luggage embarkation is done behind a series of taxis and private vehicles on the West side prior to joining the embarkation line with your carry-on's.
  • the peak chaos happens around noon... long after debarkation passengers have left.
  • during the peak... it's not surprising to see a long line of vehicles trying to snake into the terminal. If you are caught in this taxi line.... consider asking the driver to drop you off at the Pan Pacific where you can do a short drag into the baggage area where you don't need to waste 10 minutes or more for the vehicles to unload.

It's just easier for us to fly to Vancouver than to Seattle. We had no issues with checked luggage (although, we had the hotel bellman transport the luggage to the terminal for us so I don't really know if there were issues at their end). I do know that we received all of our luggage onboard.
fyi... for those staying at the following cruise terminal hotels.... there is a luggage transfer service option.

• Pan Pacific » you sleep above the cruise terminal
  • Fairmont Waterfront » you sleep across the street from the cruise terminal
  • Fairmont Pacific Rim » you sleep three blocks from the cruise terminal

• 4 weeks later...

Thank you everyone! This is quite helpful. If I go with one I will probably go with a four day one. Will there be less of a change on a four day? I probably wouldn't notice it anyway since I've never sailed with HAL, but I thought I'd ask.

I have taken 5 Pacific Coastals, all 3-4 days. I haven't ever seen any difference in food or services either! Granted I didn't want a spa appointment, but we had no problem getting Pinnacle reservations, and our stewards treated us as well as they have on our longer cruises. (4-star). Food was just as good IMO.

I took my best friend on a 4-day to acquaint her with cruising (letting her know that a longer cruise would give her a better idea) ;). I would have been embarrassed if the quality had been lacking.

Completely agree. Exactly the same for us as when we board a week or more earlier. Notice no change at all.