Carnival Spirit

You have to wait until on-board to book shore excursions on Spirit. Not sure why this is, but that's it. We were used to RC where you book & pay at the time, so found Carnival's way a bit odd.

Now we are going on Princess where you can reserve your excursion, but don't have to pay until later, even on-board using OBC.

Everything's a little different on each line - it's what makes life interesting I guess :)

You have to wait until on-board to book shore excursions on Spirit. Not sure why this is, but that's it. We were used to RC where you book & pay at the time, so found Carnival's way a bit odd.

Now we are going on Princess where you can reserve your excursion, but don't have to pay until later, even on-board using OBC.

Everything's a little different on each line - it's what makes life interesting I guess :)

I like the idea of having as many of the on board expenses paid for but being able to use OBC is an attractive option. I think Carnival's system of not being able book or reserve any until you are on board is a bit strange.

• 1 month later...

Hi,

Personally I think Carnival's approach makes good sense.

How can anyone predict what the weather will be like on their Cruise, lets say 3 months in advance. Even 3 weeks in advance would be a bit touch and go.

Then imagine the "what-if": If a bad storm comes and the ship cannot go to port, then Carnival would have to arrange refunds or other options for all the pre-booked cancelled excursions.

Leigh

Hi,

Personally I think Carnival's approach makes good sense.

How can anyone predict what the weather will be like on their Cruise, lets say 3 months in advance. Even 3 weeks in advance would be a bit touch and go.

Then imagine the "what-if": If a bad storm comes and the ship cannot go to port, then Carnival would have to arrange refunds or other options for all the pre-booked cancelled excursions.

Leigh

No-one can predict months in advance what the weather is going to be. If we could, cruises that encounter bad weather would be nearly empty. ;)

There is a problem of cancelling tours whether they are booked on the ship or pre-booked. The decision to cancel a port call is made fairly late, usually much less than 24 hours before scheduled arrival. Tours booked when people board have to be cancelled, just the same as those booked before the cruise. A refund is simply a reversal of the charge on the ship-board account. There is much more work for the Shore Ex staff if there is an alternate port.

Terringal as explained above you have to wait. They have a guest services desk & A shore excursions desk on-board. You can also book from your cabin using the interactive tv; that is in each room. I don't mind the way Carnival has it. Last time when i went to MARE. it was raining & windy, so i didn't book a trip to Yedjele beach. The biggest advantage with shore excursions with Carnival is They Are Way Cheaper Then Other Cruise Lines. Enjoy the Spirit. I'll be back on her in just over 2 weeks. 5th time...