Trying to Choose Between Two Itineraries

I've been doing a lot of research today on two cruise itineraries we're considering and decided it might be helpful to seek advice from the experienced cruisers here. Right now we have one cruise booked and the other on hold, so we only have 24 hours to make up our mind.

We've already sailed on the Silhouette, Allure, Oasis, Liberty and Enchantment (and enjoyed them all) so I'm sure we'd be quite happy on the Serenade as well. We've done eastern and western cruises but have never cruised any of the southern ports. At this point we're leaning towards the Serenade, thinking it offers nicer ports for light sightseeing and beaches (which is what we like to do) but we're really not sure. We're not concerned about the number of ports, so the fact that the Celebrity cruise is one day longer and has more ports, really isn't important to us. The departure is mid January from Ft Lauderdale for both.

12 nights on the Celebrity Silhouette: San Juan, St Maarten, St Lucia, Grenada, Barbados, Dominica and St Kitts.

11 nights on Royal's Serenade of the Seas: Antigua, St. Lucia, Barbados, Curacao & Aruba.

I'd really appreciate any feedback/advice regarding the ports that might help us make our decision. Other things we're considering are the ships themselves as well as the cost, but the ports are definitely the most important to us. TIA

I would choose the Serenade for myself. I think the beaches in all of those ports, on this itinerary, are beautiful! I also really liked the Serenade, when we were on her last year.

We went to Dominica, and didn't get to a good beach, but I think there is more sightseeing there. St. Kitts, we went to see the monkeys at Shipwreck, which is part of Friars Beach. Loved the Monkeys, but not the beach.

I don't think you could go wrong with either cruise though. ;)

Kathy

Edited by A Pisces

Tough choice, as both offer islands we love, but if I had to choose, I'd go with Celebrity. While the extra day may not be important, you also get to sample two extra ports. Each of the islands is interesting in its own right and all offer the light sightseeing and beach time that you are looking for, but again, with the extra two islands you have more diversity.

I'd say choose the one that has the most ports you've never been to. I've hit just about every cruise-able Caribbean island at this point, and each one has something absolutely unique about it. My vote is to visit as many as you can for the first time, then choose itineraries based on which ones offered the most for what you enjoy.

If you were to ask me my 3 favorite non-ABC Caribbean islands I would immediately say St Lucia, Barbados and Antigua. Now add Aruba and Curaçao....

In my humble opinion do the Serenade itinerary.... Incredible itinerary all in one sailing. That is a very awesome cruise!

I will add that someday you should try to book an itinerary that includes Dominica... A great surprise and well worth a visit. Whatever you choose have a great cruise :D

I think the Serenade itinerary is really nice. If it also had St. Maarten it would be pretty close to my dream itinerary.

The southern Caribbean is awesome. You will be happy with either itinerary. The really cool thing about Serenade's itinerary is you will see vastly different island ecosystems and topography from Aruba and Curacao's desert and relative flatness to mountainous St. Lucia, Antigua, and Barbados with their lush green tropical rain forests. The contrast is really something to see.

If you were to ask me my 3 favorite non-ABC Caribbean islands I would immediately say St Lucia, Barbados and Antigua. Now add Aruba and Curaçao....

In my humble opinion do the Serenade itinerary.... Incredible itinerary all in one sailing. That is a very awesome cruise!

I will add that someday you should try to book an itinerary that includes Dominica... A great surprise and well worth a visit. Whatever you choose have a great cruise :D

I have never managed to get their. I will keep your advice in mind.

• 3 weeks later...

Life got hectic after I posted this and I just realized I never came back with an update and a thanks to everyone who replied. We ended up going with the Serenade. Although Celebrity offers two extra ports, we've already been to one of them, and after reading posts here and elsewhere, the ports on the Serenade appealed to us more. Although we currently have it booked for January 2018, we'll be changing it (next week when Royal releases 2019 dates?) to January or February 2019. We were originally doing a November 2017 cruise on Independence with two other couples but have since changed it to February 2018. As Canadian snowbirds, we felt cruising in January & February was a little too much when we have a beautiful condo sitting here in Ft Lauderdale for us to enjoy. As long as we escape winter, we're happy wherever we are.

Even though in general I prefer RCCL, I would go with Celebrity, much bigger newer ships and I love St Marteen and the other ports

I actually prefer Celebrity (although I think RCCL is going down hill and from what I've read, so is Celebrity, so that opinion may change the next time we go with Celebrity) We've been to St. Maarten several times but we've never been to any of the ports on the Serenade's itinerary.