Am I too old for parasailing?

barb65

I would love to book the parasailing activity during our Escape cruise to Harvest Caye. I am a 76 year-old female and had knee replacement surgery about a year and a half ago, but otherwise I am very physically fit. The activity level on this activity is a Level 1. My daughter is against me trying it because of my knee replacement. Any thoughts from those who have tried this or have had any other physical impairment. Should I listen to my daughter?

Parasailing is not very strenuous.

Having said that if your daughter is against it I wouldn't do it.

When looking into hot air ballooning for my 79 YO father I found

that some of the companies don't want to take up anyone over 80.

No you are not, you will love it.....I am 56 and did it for the first time last summer. I had knee replacement and it was no problem......you just sit in the swing on the back of the boat and lift you legs when they tell you to, it's simple.....It was amazing, so quiet and peaceful up there

I've been parasailing and confused as to why she thinks the knee replacement would be a problem. It's a very gentle ride, the only part that would be even slightly jolting would be the landing and I don't recall that being anything bad (unlike skydiving or hot air ballooning, where the landing is in fact very hard on you). I wouldn't rule it out, just ask when booking if the age/knee issues could be a problem.

The decision to listen to your daughter is up to you. My 40+ year old children occasionally try to tell me what I should be doing as well. I think they are trying to pay back for all of the times I said no when they were teens. If your doctor said it is fine that is all the advice you need. Go for it!

My DW and I went parasailing in Nassau. We are 68 and I have had a hip replacement. It was the favorite thing we did. Beautiful view and so peaceful. Basically you are sitting in a swing and were on the back of the boat connected to a wrench. If you can sit down on a platform you should be able to handle it.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

I would love to book the parasailing activity during our Escape cruise to Harvest Caye. I am a 76 year-old female and had knee replacement surgery about a year and a half ago, but otherwise I am very physically fit. The activity level on this activity is a Level 1. My daughter is against me trying it because of my knee replacement. Any thoughts from those who have tried this or have had any other physical impairment. Should I listen to my daughter?

I have knee issues, and my knees barely even came into play when I went parasailing several years ago. As long as you are going from a boat and not the shore - you should have no problem. You don't have to get on your knees at all, you just have to sit and put your legs straight out in front of you for taking off and for landing you just need to get into the same position.

While I appreciate that your daughter is worried, you need to do what makes YOU happy as long as it doesn't hurt anyone else. Your daughter may be concerned, but she will see how happy it makes you (and it WILL make you happy) and she should be happy for you as well.

I would do it again and again if I had the opportunity :)

As others have stated, you should check with your physician. However, I can tell you that I just went parasailing this past September, for the first time (in Maui) at age 58. I am having both knees replaced this year as my mobility is impaired. I heard the land crew communicate with the ocean crew and tell them about my limitations. The operators of the excursion were so kind and efficient. They helped me in and out of the transfer banana boat and speed boat. They also helped me sit for the launch and caught me as my husband and I landed. It was an exhilarating experience!