Havana?

Smart Arsenal Fan

According to paperwork we received, you can cancel with full refund or plan a different cruise. There is also a charge for health insurance in Cuba. They don't tell us what that is, only that it will be added to fees and taxes. They act like you don't have to worry but you still have to pay this undisclosed amount.

I don't know if this will be the same for Carnival but we are sailing around the island on Celestyal with three

Cuban ports. The Cuban insurance we paid for was $48 per person.

Just curious. How were you able to book months ago at a lower price if these itineraries and press statements were just released last night?

From your comment re the cost of the Visa and others comments on getting $100 OBC, seems like some of the expense for the Visa and taxes is ultimately being picked up by Carnival at present. Or they are charging a higher cabin rate then rebating a portion of the true cabin rate back via OBC, thus covering the Visa charges.

We had booked the original itinerary of Grand Cayman and Cozumel. They just changed our itinerary today, and because of the fact we now incur a $75 fee for the Visa, plus different port charges/taxes, they are giving us $100 OBC. Our original cruise price has NOT gone up, we are locked in at the price we booked under, we just got lucky to get this change to Cuba. Folks not booked prior will pay the higher cruise price.

I had this cruise already booked. With the original booking we had $50.00 OBC, then add the $100.00 OBC, this will take care of our Visa fees.

My TA called Carnival, they are not up to speed on the Cuba cruises yet. They told my TA there will no extra charges for the Cuba health ins.. My TA asking about the travel affidavit needed to enter Cuba, Carnival had no idea about this. This affidavit on our NCL Cuba cruise needed to be filled out & e-mail back to them 30 days before sailing. My TA found Carnivals affidavit on their web site. I will look for it & submit it to Carnival. NCL was very confused also with these Cuba sailings.

I just wanna thank you for helping get all the kinks worked out :D

I'd be happy to go and already emailed my wife with the news but we can wait until they are less confused lol.

that people to people thing to cigars and rum sounds A-OK by me!

We think the Carnival prices are much better than RCCL out of same port. We are researching to book as well and have been monitoring the rates on RCCL waiting for Carnival to announce. We will prob do the 5 day with an overnight in Havana. If you are considering make sure you review the requirements for visa and your passport is in order (cannot be expiring within 6 months after trip). It is exciting though and historic that we will have the chance to go.

We think the Carnival prices are much better than RCCL out of same port. We are researching to book as well and have been monitoring the rates on RCCL waiting for Carnival to announce. We will prob do the 5 day with an overnight in Havana. If you are considering make sure you review the requirements for visa and your passport is in order (cannot be expiring within 6 months after trip). It is exciting though and historic that we will have the chance to go.

You could also check out the NCL Sky, it sails out of Miami. They have a free drink package with no limit on the amount of drinks.

Sorry to have to ask, but who is they? Is it Carnival or a private T/A giving the $100. I booked yesterday for May 2018 and didn't get anything. Thanks for the info.

Carnival gave us the OBC. But that was due to the fact we were already booked prior to itinerary change and were incurring unplanned expenses.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Sorry to have to ask, but who is they? Is it Carnival or a private T/A giving the $100. I booked yesterday for May 2018 and didn't get anything. Thanks for the info.

They, Carnival, gave us the OBC due to the itinerary change. This only applies to previously booked passengers.We also got a $50.00 OBC when I booked this from them (Carnival). This way our OBC will cover the Cuban Visas.

I actually thought the pricing that I found was pretty expensive!

For comparison -

My upcoming, 6 night cruise on the Vista (brand new ship) for three of us in a balcony cabin - total $1805

Current price for a 4 night cruise on the Paradise to Cuba for two guests in an interior w/ portholes cabin - total $1250

Don't get me wrong - I'm still considering possibly booking the Cuba cruise. But I definitely think Carnival is charging a premium. Classic supply vs. demand. They only have a handful of itineraries going to Cuba right now and they are anticipating the demand to be high. Maybe they'll be wrong and pricing will come down. We'll see!

My understanding is the difference in cost is what they have to hand over to the dictators....

We're on the Oct 9 sailing and are excited to visit Havana! We have a porthole room, but we booked months ago, so our lower price is locked in thankfully :) The only added expense now is a $75 Cuban Visa, which our understanding is that Carnival will have the paperwork at the terminal to fill out, and the expense will be charged to our on board account.

It was my understanding from when I spoke to the cruise line last night while there is a $75 Visa charge, they are giving a $100 credit per person on the sign and sail card. So while the $75 visa will be charged to our sign and sail we will in essense not be paying for the Visa and will end up with a $25 pp credit to our account. Is this what they told you?

They, Carnival, gave us the OBC due to the itinerary change. This only applies to previously booked passengers.We also got a $50.00 OBC when I booked this from them (Carnival). This way our OBC will cover the Cuban Visas.

Thank you.

It was my understanding from when I spoke to the cruise line last night while there is a $75 Visa charge, they are giving a $100 credit per person on the sign and sail card. So while the $75 visa will be charged to our sign and sail we will in essense not be paying for the Visa and will end up with a $25 pp credit to our account. Is this what they told you?

Yes that is exactly what they told us. However, I am wondering if the port fees and taxes will change since now a different port. Either way, the extra expense is being covered.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

What are "people to people" tours?

Essentially, People-to-people" tours are cultural exchanges. You go and learn about the Cuban people, their way of life, their culture, their passions, etc. This is a US requirement for visiting Cuba, not really a Cuban requirement. Essentially, it's one of the only ways a US citizen or resident can visit Cuba--these requirements are not put into place against people from any other country. Basically, it means that you can't go to Cuba for the express purpose of going to the beach, or going solely for recreational reasons.

If you've ever looked at doing land-based Cuban trips from the US, it's the same deal--companies essentially book your full itinerary with activities that qualify per US guidelines (and these kinds of trips generally cost thousands of dollars).

Right now, DW isn't convinced that we should do Cuba--mainly because she thinks it's a lot of money for spending one day on the island, but considering the cost of land-based trips, I think this is a deal.