Avoiding seasickness

I will be sailing on Navigator of the Seas on March 3 and this will be my 11th cruise. I am extremely seasick and my doctor writes me a prescription for the transderm scop patch which you wear behind your ear while you are onboard. I have used it many times and have never gotten seasick again. You need to put it on three hours before you go onboard and need to change it every three days. One note, if you do get this, leave it on for a couple of days after you get home so it wears off, I took it off once right after we got off the ship and the next day got very sick with nausea. Let me know if you have any other questions. It has been a life saver for me.

I can tell you from my experiences it is entirely dependent on the waves/sea, and when they flare up, when you're in transit. On one cruise in 09 we had particularly bad weather, and my cabin was a lower level cabin, whereas friends were higher up, and in either cabin I had bad seasickness! It didn't matter where I moved to on the ship, as soon as I stopped physically moving, the sickness started up again. Definitely go for the transderm patch, they're very effective at neutralising the effects!

When the seas are rough, you will feel it, wherever you are. But lower deck cabins midship tend to have a liitle less motion. I am very prone to seasickness and even with 30' waves in Norway I was pretty much okay in my deck 3 cabin midship. Barf bags were out and about. Of course the meclizine (generic name for bonine) I take probably helped a lot too. And my experience is that if the ship is moving because it's windy, you feel it more on higher decks. And if you go for bonine, start taking it a day or two before AND after your cruise too. Enjoy your cruise.

Cindy

I just booked 2 inside joining rooms on deck 9 midship on Freedom of the Seas. Is that too high if we want to avoid getting seasick?

Sent from my iPad using Forums

As the saying goes - the higher you are the more you sway! I've felt fine on level 3 but the Windjammer at 11 made me queasy one sailing. There is a noticeable different in swaying as you go higher if the seas are rough.

I just booked 2 inside joining rooms on deck 9 midship on Freedom of the Seas. Is that too high if we want to avoid getting seasick?

Sent from my iPad using Forums

That is going to vary by person to person, Does a person get use to being at sea? I was on Freedom twice, once on deck 9 and once on deck 10. I love that ship and being that high up. I've only gotten a little sea sick with 15+ ft seas on the slightly smaller voyager class. Try the ginger capsules from your nuitrion store and enjoy a great ship and cabin.,

If you plan to spend all your time in your cabin, then I guess cabin placement is the most important consideration. We're always mid-ship, usually in a JS so on a high deck and honestly being in the cabin doesn't really affect my motion issues. It's being other places on the ship during certain seas. I just take Bonine and don't worry about it.

My wife had a tendency to get seasick and has used ginger root pills to control it. She even took them AFTER becoming sick and they helped her. YMMV

Besides taking ginger root capsules, I bring crystalized ginger candy and wear either Sea Bands or Queasy Beads. I usually book a midship cabin on the lower decks but sometimes get a Promenade on deck 6 or 7 and tend to feel more motion there.

Joan

I go on amazon and buy some meclazine and take one tablet every night before I go to bed starting the night before the cruise. No side effects, no seasickness. the crew recommends eating green apples.

The patch had too many side effects for me and ginger gave me bad headaches and I still got sea sick :(

your location should be fine, you will be all over the ship not staying in your cabin.

Bev

Sent from my SM-T900 using Forums mobile app

I will be sailing on Navigator of the Seas on March 3 and this will be my 11th cruise. I am extremely seasick and my doctor writes me a prescription for the transderm scop patch which you wear behind your ear while you are onboard. I have used it many times and have never gotten seasick again. You need to put it on three hours before you go onboard and need to change it every three days. One note, if you do get this, leave it on for a couple of days after you get home so it wears off, I took it off once right after we got off the ship and the next day got very sick with nausea. Let me know if you have any other questions. It has been a life saver for me.

I can vouch for the TransdermScop patch. I used it for all of my cruises until Jewel of the Seas last month. Never needed it for that cruise, I carried Bonine but never needed that either.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

This is not an issue for everyone but the first cruise I went on I used the patch and the second cruise a few years later my vision got very blurry. I was not aware that this was a side effect but was told when I returned that it is a common one.

This is not an issue for everyone but the first cruise I went on I used the patch and the second cruise a few years later my vision got very blurry. I was not aware that this was a side effect but was told when I returned that it is a common one.

Yes, my wife thought she was going blind when my MIL gave her one. She couldn't walk with an arm to hold onto.