Confused about specialty restaurants (newbie to Oceania) ;-)

Go-Bucks!

One complaint is often "slow service". The only times we've had really slow service when we were at a table for 8 ...

Yes, it's been the same way in all the MDR's that I've dined in. My friend and I don't usually want a table for 2, but when sharing with others it can take so-o-o long to finish dinner. I prefer a table for 6 at the most. Sometimes when we don't feel like sitting for a long dinner we just go eat in the buffet. Sounds like the O buffets are really good so we might eat there even more often.

On the few occasions when we were invited to the captain's table, the service was impeccable! :cool:

I've never been invited to the captain's table and I often stay in full suites. What gets someone invited to eat with the captain? I wonder if it's easier on a small ship? It sounds fun, but I'm sure the odds are pretty small that someone gets to join him.

Quite frankly, I don't know what magic gets you invited to the captain's table. The first few times (I'm talking 2-3) we assumed it was because we happened to be in a top suite. We were still sitting at the bottom of the table! But it's a lovely experience, especially if you are a wine drinker since the wine is freely poured throughout the meal.

On one cruise with Capt. Flokos (our first Marina cruise in Oct '11) I had been privately corresponding with his wife, Denise, and so I'm sure she got us invited! He is absolutely delightful, as others here well know.

On our two cruises this year on Sirena and Nautica I didn't see ANY captain's table dinners ... of course, we could have been in the dining room at the wrong time. But I've heard that some captains don't want to bother ...

We've had several dinners with one or two other couples with an officer but not the captain. In those cases we were usually celebrating a "fifth" or "tenth" cruise. I don't know if they do these any more ... Perhaps it's become impractical as more and more passengers are at that level.

I will say that the dinners we've had with officers, whether or a high or mid level, have been extremely interesting. They make great hosts.

Mura

I agree! I've learned alot from reading many current and past threads to learn "the O way" of doing things, as well as asking questions from those who are seasoned O cruisers. Each cruiseline has it's own culture, but I'm finding O to be pretty different from others I've sailed on. I think I'll like it, but want to learn how things are done so I won't make mistakes. I suggest you do alot of research on this board to help guide the way. :D

I'm on page 8 of 357 pages of helpful tips! Good thing I have until November!

But seriously, it's amazing how much is not mentioned, much less clearly explained, on the O site. Having worked in site design, I'm beyond frustrated when "search" gives nothing useful. The site should be the prime information source to explain basics and finer details of Olife, restaurants, timetables, OBC...so much. Lines typically stay on top of social media to indicate what they need to address. The mass of general comments and questions should be a red flag for them. On to reading page 9....

I'm on page 8 of 357 pages of helpful tips! Good thing I have until November!

But seriously, it's amazing how much is not mentioned, much less clearly explained, on the O site. Having worked in site design, I'm beyond frustrated when "search" gives nothing useful. The site should be the prime information source to explain basics and finer details of Olife, restaurants, timetables, OBC...so much. Lines typically stay on top of social media to indicate what they need to address. The mass of general comments and questions should be a red flag for them. On to reading page 9....

Where did you find your helpful tips list? We are looking to book our first Oceania cruise for 2020 but those schedules probably won't open for at least another year. But we are interested in learning more about this cruise line.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Where did you find your helpful tips list? We are looking to book our first Oceania cruise for 2020 but those schedules probably won't open for at least another year. But we are interested in learning more about this cruise line.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We are here, this is it, the very compilation of helpful tips. Boards>Cruise lines A-O>Oceania Cruises http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=51 . There is massive information right here, though it can be a lot to plow through. You can also look up info for specific ports via threads or by doing a search for random mentions.

2020 is a long time for eager anticipation! Our 1st O cruise will be in November, and I've learned a lot thru this community. One thing I learned about planning shore excursions: O doesn't post information till ~120 days ahead, but if you look at other O cruises coming sooner with any port of interest, you can drill down to find the prices with descriptions.

We are here, this is it, the very compilation of helpful tips. Boards>Cruise lines A-O>Oceania Cruises http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=51 . There is massive information right here, though it can be a lot to plow through. You can also look up info for specific ports via threads or by doing a search for random mentions.

This is so true!! Our first cruise ever was on Oceania in 2011. I was intimidated beyond words. Spending countless hours on this board helped me feel like it wasn't my very first cruise! I was able to board with eyes wide open. Six years later, I'm still learning the ins and outs and have 10 cruises - all on "O"

Quite frankly, I don't know what magic gets you invited to the captain's table.

I wonder if we'll get to eat with the Captain (or some other officer) during our World Cruise! Certainly the odds are better since we'll all be on the ship together for 6 months. ;p

I wonder if we'll get to eat with the Captain (or some other officer) during our World Cruise! Certainly the odds are better since we'll all be on the ship together for 6 months. ;p

I am confused, after many many O cruises, I have never seen a "captains" table at any time. On the R ships, the officers seem to enjoy the Terrace about 30 min before they close and eat together. Captains tables are a hold over from fixed time seating dining of the past and mass market boys which had only one venue. O's casual dining and variety of restaurants ( 5-6) encourages you to dine any time any place pretty much.

Dont get all excited for what is really a non event.:confused:

Since I've attended several captain's tables I know they do exist. Not always! Some captains don't like them, or so I understand. I admit I didn't see any on our two cruises in 2016 but I might not have been in the right place at the right time.

In the GDR there is a large table that seats 10 (or is it 12?) which is the table that is used. When Capt. Flokos had a captain's table on Marina several years ago, he sat in the middle of the table rather that at one end which made it much easier for everyone at the table to talk to/with him.

I'm not arguing with your comment that captain's tables are a sign of the past. That may well be... but they HAVE existed on Oceania for quite a while.

Since I've attended several captain's tables I know they do exist. Not always! Some captains don't like them, or so I understand. I admit I didn't see any on our two cruises in 2016 but I might not have been in the right place at the right time.

In the GDR there is a large table that seats 10 (or is it 12?) which is the table that is used. When Capt. Flokos had a captain's table on Marina several years ago, he sat in the middle of the table rather that at one end which made it much easier for everyone at the table to talk to/with him.

I'm not arguing with your comment that captain's tables are a sign of the past. That may well be... but they HAVE existed on Oceania for quite a while.

Well who knows.....The world cruise is done on Insignia , an R class and having been on a segment of that Malta to Miami, 17 days, never ever saw one..... The terrace seemed popular with staff members at 9pm as I said.

Just because you have never seen it does not mean it does not happen :halo:

The Captain does not host a dinner every night so people could be dining else where when he does

It is a delightful experience

I am confused, after many many O cruises, I have never seen a "captains" table at any time. Don't get all excited for what is really a non event.

And since I haven't set foot on an O cruise yet, I'm only listening to what others are saying. Please be gentle with us newbies - we're just trying to learn. ;)

• 1 year later...
Regardless of who makes the "reservation" eating in the Specialty Restaurant will use a portion of each Passengers allocated reservations.

The person who books the table will need the Booking number(s) and the permission of his table mates to speak for their availability.

Hello,

We will be able to reserve Specialty restaurants for our group of friends soon. We can get their booking numbers. How do our friends grant permission to speak for their availability?

Thanks!

Laurence

Hello,

How do our friends grant permission to speak for their availability?

Thanks!

Laurence

Them giving the booking number to you implies that you have their permission to use it to make reservations.

You won't be asked for further proof of permission, but you may (should?) be reminded that each time that any passenger dines in a Specialty Restaurant, a portion of their guaranteed number of reservations is used. :):halo::)

Them giving the booking number to you implies that you have their permission to use it to make reservations.

You won't be asked for further proof of permission, but you may (should?) be reminded that each time that any passenger dines in a Specialty Restaurant, a portion of their guaranteed number of reservations is used. :):halo::)

Thanks Jim and Stan. So the procedure for group Specialty restaurant booking would be to first reserve by choosing the "Dine at Private Table;"option for a table of 2. Then I would go back and "Share My Table with Other Guest." and add the first of my friend's cruise booking number and repeat this to fill up the table?

It may be more obvious to me once we are able to do the booking. I just want to be more prepared so that we can book as soon as the booking window is open.

Thanks again.

Laurence

We usually choose the "share a table" option from the word Go.

I believe that the procedure which you have described was created for people whose guests wanted to okay the time of the proposed reservation before committing to it.

103110.jpg

Reservations beyond four persons are fairly limited, mostly because of the intimate size of the Restaurants. Eight is the absolute maximum.

We usually choose the "share a table" option from the word Go.

I believe that the procedure which you have described was created for people whose guests wanted to okay the time of the proposed reservation before committing to it.

103110.jpg

Reservations beyond four persons are fairly limited, mostly because of the intimate size of the Restaurants. Eight is the absolute maximum.

The table plan is VERY helpful. THANKS!!!

Laurence

It may be more obvious to me once we are able to do the booking. I just want to be more prepared so that we can book as soon as the booking window is open.

Thanks again.

Laurence

Once your time slot to book opens up

You select the date/restaurant/time then there is a tab to add Guests then you just follow the instructions

If you get into a muddle just call Oceania & someone will help you

We had a B3 cabin on our Miami - Tahiti cruise. We didn't make reservations until we boarded. No problem getting a table for two for early seating. There was also no problem booking additional reservations if we were flexible on time and which restaurant.
On a 37 day cruise, none of that surprises me.

Shorter cruises will usually attract a greater number of new or at least new-er passengers who have less time to experience all that the Ship has to offer.

The competition for reservations is stiffer on those.

Shorter cruises will usually attract a greater number of new or at least new-er passengers who have less time to experience all that the Ship has to offer.

The competition for reservations is stiffer on those.

You're right. We did a 10-night cruise this summer on Insignia, our shortest O sailing to-date. On the day that reservations opened up on-line for non-Concierge-or-above passengers (i.e. us), there were no 2-tops available to book for any date at any time. During the cruise itself , we did nab a table for 2 at Polo as a walk-in at 9pm but no such luck at Toscana. The shorter the cruise, the harder it is to make a reservation for the time and/or table size desired.