Sydney Airport hotel or CBD/The Rocks area post cruise--Advice please!

We are on a cruise arriving back to Sydney March 28. Our international flight leaves Sydney on the 29th at 11:00 am. As it is an international flight we need to check in around 8:00 am.

We will have had 5 days in Sydney pre-cruise and have the 28th as well. Is it better to stay at a hotel at the Sydney airport on the 28th or stay in The Rocks/CBD area? How long does it take to get from the city to the airport and will we traffic be an issue at that time of day?

There are 6 of us in our group and for two people it will be their only day in Sydney. Regardless of where we stay we will have to go to the hotel to drop off our luggage so we can explore for the day. Any advice is appreciated please, including hotel suggestions. ~Thanks!

Given that there are two people who only have that day in Sydney, I would stay in the city rather than out at the airport. It might mean an early start (say leaving the hotel at 7.00 am to be safe if you want to get to the airport by 8 - it is usually only about 1/2 hour) but there is so much more to see and do in the city than out at the airport.

Perhaps with your 5 days there earlier you would be able to show them around :)

We are on a cruise arriving back to Sydney March 28. Our international flight leaves Sydney on the 29th at 11:00 am. As it is an international flight we need to check in around 8:00 am.

We will have had 5 days in Sydney pre-cruise and have the 28th as well. Is it better to stay at a hotel at the Sydney airport on the 28th or stay in The Rocks/CBD area? How long does it take to get from the city to the airport and will we traffic be an issue at that time of day?

There are 6 of us in our group and for two people it will be their only day in Sydney. Regardless of where we stay we will have to go to the hotel to drop off our luggage so we can explore for the day. Any advice is appreciated please, including hotel suggestions. ~Thanks!

I would do the debark tour from the cruise to the international airport. You get to see a bit of Sydney on your way to the accommodation/airport.

Book rooms at Rydges Sydney Airport Hotel - you can walk your luggage across the road from the coach drop off point. The hotel has a decent bar/restaurant but the airport Maccas and cafes are also at your disposal both for dinner and breakfast. In the morning you can just wheel your trolley load of luggage back across the road to the airport.

my vote would be to stay in the city.

drop off your bags at the reception area of your hotel and then wander around the city (no need to go to the airport to drop off the bags and come back in to the city again).

enjoy the city for the rest of the day and the evening.

ferry to Manly, Pylon lookout etc

take the taxi early in the morning to the airport.

hotels to recommend? four seasons, holiday inn at the rocks, sir stamford, sydney harbour marriott, sydney harbour yha...not sure of your budget so hard to advise....

I would 100% choose the CBD/Rocks. There is NOTHING to do at the airport or within walking distance. I would prefer to get up earlier in the morning for the taxi ride to airport and have a full day in the city, especially for those of you who only have the one day. It will be peak hour for your taxi ride though, so allow plenty of time. The hotel will be able to tell you how much time to allow but personally I'd be in a taxi about 7 (if I had to be there at 8) for peace of mind, but I hate to be rushing.