Can't find answers to Cheers questions

mdempsey78

I know, I know - there are lots of Cheers threads out there...and I *have* been scouring them. But I can't seem to find definitive answers to my questions so I'm going to ask.

We understand that they are strict about the 15 drink limit once you've reached it. My husband (beer drinker) will easily reach that on a sea day.

So I have a few questions that I'd like confirmation on. I should state that we always tip and I know that goes a long way, but I'm a worry wart and need more concrete answers. I should ALSO state that I know that if we appear wasted, we'll get cut off...that will not be the case.

- Just to confirm -- we CAN buy other people drinks, correct? If we're sitting at a bar and neither of us have reached our limit, can I buy a drink for him - even if the bartender knows he's on Cheers? I know we could be sneaky about it (I could go to a different bartender and just say it's for a non-Cheers friend), but do we need to go to that length? Can I buy a drink for him if he has reached his limit, but I haven't?

- Can he buy himself a beer before he hits the limit, or does he need to say it's for a friend?

- Can we definitely get unopened beers, or is this one of those "usually, BUT technically it's against the rules" things? If it's the latter, how hard is it to do?

- Beer tubes aren't included in the package. But can we still buy them? If we split one at the pool during the day, that would go a long way to easing my mind that we won't hit the limit late night. Also - can we have them by the pool lounges or only at the tables close to the bar?

- I've seen reference to the Fosters Oil cans. Do they have them at all the bars? Those things are huge, so if he could drink those the limit would be less of an issue.

- And one non-Cheers question...if we're doing ATD and order a bottle of wine with dinner can they still save the extra for the next night? We've done that when we had traditional dinner seating, but wasn't sure if they could do it with ATD. Sometimes we like to order a fancy-pants bottle for dinner.

Thanks everyone for your patience for yet another Cheers thread :)

I know, I know - there are lots of Cheers threads out there...and I *have* been scouring them. But I can't seem to find definitive answers to my questions so I'm going to ask.

We understand that they are strict about the 15 drink limit once you've reached it. My husband (beer drinker) will easily reach that on a sea day.

So I have a few questions that I'd like confirmation on. I should state that we always tip and I know that goes a long way, but I'm a worry wart and need more concrete answers. I should ALSO state that I know that if we appear wasted, we'll get cut off...that will not be the case.

- Just to confirm -- we CAN buy other people drinks, correct? If we're sitting at a bar and neither of us have reached our limit, can I buy a drink for him - even if the bartender knows he's on Cheers? I know we could be sneaky about it (I could go to a different bartender and just say it's for a non-Cheers friend), but do we need to go to that length? Can I buy a drink for him if he has reached his limit, but I haven't?

- Can he buy himself a beer before he hits the limit, or does he need to say it's for a friend?

- Can we definitely get unopened beers, or is this one of those "usually, BUT technically it's against the rules" things? If it's the latter, how hard is it to do?

- Beer tubes aren't included in the package. But can we still buy them? If we split one at the pool during the day, that would go a long way to easing my mind that we won't hit the limit late night. Also - can we have them by the pool lounges or only at the tables close to the bar?

- I've seen reference to the Fosters Oil cans. Do they have them at all the bars? Those things are huge, so if he could drink those the limit would be less of an issue.

- And one non-Cheers question...if we're doing ATD and order a bottle of wine with dinner can they still save the extra for the next night? We've done that when we had traditional dinner seating, but wasn't sure if they could do it with ATD. Sometimes we like to order a fancy-pants bottle for dinner.

Another troll thread. Username format gives it away. Typically a name with a two digit suffix.

Wait, what? What's trollish about this post??

I only have 2 posts because I just signed up to Cruise Critic because I just booked my cruise last night.

I'm asking these questions in good faith, and if I've broken a board rule, I apologize.

I only have 2 posts because I just signed up to Cruise Critic because I just booked my cruise last night.

I'm asking these questions in good faith, and if I've broken a board rule, I apologize.

I don't buy anything in your post. All your answers are found on Carnival's site. If you don't understand what no sharing means and dedicate a post to ask, then if it looks like a duck and quacks like a duck.

I don't see it either, but while I've been around for awhile, I'm not a prolific poster or reader so maybe I'm missing those red flags... That said, I do know that your questions HAVE been answered in threads in the last few months

Im not seeing troll so I will try to answer as much as I can

we CAN buy other people drinks, correct? - YES

If we're sitting at a bar and neither of us have reached our limit, can I buy a drink for him - even if the bartender knows he's on Cheers? I don't think ive ever seen this answered but Im not sure its against the rules if a person who is NOT on cheers buys someone who is, a drink. Im not sure so I could be wrong but if both are on cheers it probably depends but might not be allowed

Can he buy himself a beer before he hits the limit, or does he need to say it's for a friend? its against the rules to buy himself one. Some people tell the bartender its for someone else but I disagree with that so I will say he is not allowed to

Can we definitely get unopened beers, or is this one of those "usually, BUT technically it's against the rules" things? If it's the latter, how hard is it to do? it depends... it is technically against the rules. YMMV

And one non-Cheers question...if we're doing ATD and order a bottle of wine with dinner can they still save the extra for the next night? We've done that when we had traditional dinner seating, but wasn't sure if they could do it with ATD. Sometimes we like to order a fancy-pants bottle for dinner. - yes you have them hold it for you.

OK, now who's the troll?

I'm not talking about sharing anything. I have absolutely no need to try to squeeze an extra free drink out of Carnival. I specifically asked if I could BUY my husband a drink if the bartender knew that drink was for him and knew he was on the Cheers program. Or if he was BUYING himself a drink before he met his limit, if he needed to pretend it was for a non-Cheers friend. I know you can buy drinks for other people, I'm just trying to find out if it bartenders care if the drink you are BUYING for someone is meant to circumvent the 15-drinks per day limit for that person.

And if any question that's been asked and answered before -- or the answer to which can be found on Carnival's website -- is considered "trolling" - then half the questions on this forum are illegitimate.

Im not seeing troll so I will try to answer as much as I can

we CAN buy other people drinks, correct? - YES

If we're sitting at a bar and neither of us have reached our limit, can I buy a drink for him - even if the bartender knows he's on Cheers? I don't think ive ever seen this answered but Im not sure its against the rules if a person who is NOT on cheers buys someone who is, a drink. Im not sure so I could be wrong but if both are on cheers it probably depends but might not be allowed

Can he buy himself a beer before he hits the limit, or does he need to say it's for a friend? its against the rules to buy himself one. Some people tell the bartender its for someone else but I disagree with that so I will say he is not allowed to

Can we definitely get unopened beers, or is this one of those "usually, BUT technically it's against the rules" things? If it's the latter, how hard is it to do? it depends... it is technically against the rules. YMMV

And one non-Cheers question...if we're doing ATD and order a bottle of wine with dinner can they still save the extra for the next night? We've done that when we had traditional dinner seating, but wasn't sure if they could do it with ATD. Sometimes we like to order a fancy-pants bottle for dinner. - yes you have them hold it for you.

Thank you SO much -- this was exactly the information I was looking for. Just trying to figure out how to navigate the system, not trying to rip off Carnival. And not trying to be redundant either :D

Thank you SO much -- this was exactly the information I was looking for. Just trying to figure out how to navigate the system, not trying to rip off Carnival. And not trying to be redundant either :D

Cheers is NOT to be shared, so NO you CAN'T buy other people drinks with your Cheers card. Read the actual rules instead of relying on information here.

Cheers is NOT to be shared, so NO you CAN'T buy other people drinks with your Cheers card. Read the actual rules instead of relying on information here.

READ ......

And maybe you should read the questions before responding with such an attitude. She was asking if they could BUY the drinks. She did not ask if she could share her drinks.

Wow, just wow! Reporting what? Legit questions and hopefully you got the answers you were looking for. Your husband can began to buy his beers so he does not hug his limit. The novelty cups are extra but the beer may be used on Cheers. They do save your wine for the next night ( there is a corkage fee). This thread is way better than the usual "Is it worth it" question. Have fun on your cruise!!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Dude. I'm asking if I can BUY drinks for my husband if he's close to his limit.

BUY- as in PAY FOR. As in exchange currency for a product. As in SEPARATE from my Cheers card. As in, it will show up as a charge on my account. Which I am totally fine with and wanting to happen.

My question boils down to this: if we've parked ourselves on a couple of barstools for the evening and it's midnight and my husband is coming up on his limit, and the bartender knows we're both on Cheers, can i BUY a drink for him or do i need to find a different bartender and say I'm buying a round for people who aren't on Cheers.

Maybe I'm over thinking this situation and it's totally not an issue, but i am NOT trolling or being a jerk.

Dude. I'm asking if I can BUY drinks for my husband if he's close to his limit.

BUY- as in PAY FOR. As in exchange currency for a product. As in SEPARATE from my Cheers card. As in, it will show up as a charge on my account. Which I am totally fine with and wanting to happen.

My question boils down to this: if we've parked ourselves on a couple of barstools for the evening and it's midnight and my husband is coming up on his limit, and the bartender knows we're both on Cheers, can i BUY a drink for him or do i need to find a different bartender and say I'm buying a round for people who aren't on Cheers.

Maybe I'm over thinking this situation and it's totally not an issue, but i am NOT trolling or being a jerk.

can you.... probably

is it against he rules... probably.

I think most bartenders will probably look the other way but I think you are looking for a definitive answer here. I don't think you'll find it specifically written in the rules so its probably an interpretation thing. You are technically allowed to buy someone a drink. it doesn't stipulate that the person you are buying for cant be on cheers.

Here is the verbiage online.

• Guests may purchase a round of drinks for themselves and friends. One drink will count towards the CHEERS! program and the remaining drinks will be charged to the guest's Sail and Sign account.

so strictly speaking if you bought a round for you and your husband and one drink went to you (on your cheers) and you paid for one drink for your husband it would be allowed according to this. it doesn't stipulate that the recipient cant be on cheers. having said that. a bartender might not allow it because it might be against the spirit of the rule.

I will say that people also 'JUST' buy a drink for friends... bartenders usually allow this but technically reading the rule above you can purchase a round for a friend AND one for you that will go against your cheers account only

Here is where the 'technicality' can come in

• Program allows for up to 15 alcoholic drinks per 24 hour period (6:00am-6:00am); once the limit is reached, the guest will not be served ANY additional alcoholic drinks.

so technically you are only allowed 15 drinks once you have cheers so no one can technically have more even if someone else purchased it... Im not sure if I am interpreting that totally correct but that is where the confusion 'might' be. I am sure people are going to post where they do it all the time and there is no problems and not to listen to anyone else and have fun. I think you are looking for the rules and want to abide by them so I think I have laid them out as I see it.

enjoy your cruise

There's nothing complicated about the question despite it having been asked and answered countless times.

You can always purchase (meaning get charged the selling price) for any beverage at any time. You simply have to tell the bartender your order should not be applied to the CHEERS program.

You don't have to be sneaky or beguiling. Just say "Charge me!" and they will.

Concrete enough?

There's nothing complicated about the question despite it having been asked and answered countless times.

You can always purchase (meaning get charged the selling price) for any beverage at any time. You simply have to tell the bartender your order should not be applied to the CHEERS program.

You don't have to be sneaky or beguiling. Just say "Charge me!" and they will.

Concrete enough?

no , not really because technically it is against the rules and there are a few (not many) that have denied this because you are only allowed to buy for other people. Some have even said the bartender said to them 'so... you are buying it for a friend right? wink wink'...

you are allowed to purchase for OTHER PEOPLE but according to the rules you are not allowed to purchase it for yourself.

so its not concrete at all

It seems to me that a very obvious point is being missed. Carnival are not the alcohol police, telling you that you may not consume more than 15 alcoholic drinks per 24hrs. As long as you are behaving appropriately, they don't care how many you have! What they are saying is that if you have the Cheers programme, only the first 15 alcoholic drinks will be included. Once you've reached that limit, it becomes pay as you go and of course they will serve you as long as you are not intoxicated and behaving inappropriately.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I agree with the original poster as to not finding all the definitive answers as they have varied results. The program has rules and some bartenders follow them to the letter while others use them as a guide. I would make friends with the bartenders and ask them earlier in the day as to how you can purchase more before the 15. You will get an answer that you can hopefully depend on and remember a tip goes a long way. What's even more confusing is that you can order a drink with a floater and you will either have to pay for the floater or wait 5 minutes. Technically if you are paying for the floater, you are buying yourself a drink on Cheers. Have a great cruise.

I don't buy anything in your post. All your answers are found on Carnival's site. If you don't understand what no sharing means and dedicate a post to ask, then if it looks like a duck and quacks like a duck.

I've always taught my sons, "if you have nothing nice to say don't say anything at all!" You may want to try to live by this. Makes the world a better place😀

It seems to me that a very obvious point is being missed. Carnival are not the alcohol police, telling you that you may not consume more than 15 alcoholic drinks per 24hrs. As long as you are behaving appropriately, they don't care how many you have! What they are saying is that if you have the Cheers programme, only the first 15 alcoholic drinks will be included. Once you've reached that limit, it becomes pay as you go and of course they will serve you as long as you are not intoxicated and behaving inappropriately.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

this is COMPLETELY wrong. Once you hit 15... the computer locks you out. its been documented and proven here. Once you hit 15 they WILL not serve you

so its not so obvious

You CANNOT share !!!! If you are seen sharing, you will be charged. Everyone in the cabin over 21 has to buy the pkg. Remember there are cameras everywhere. You get 15 drinks in 24 hours. If you get more your charged reg. price per drink. Yes fosters is included and last but not least all drinks have to be opened by the bartender on the cheers program. I hope this helps you. We have been on 11 cruises and usually buy the cheers pkg.

First off, disregard people calling you a troll - they clearly have nothing better to do than make comments like that.

Last month, we had no issues with just about everything you mentioned and we all had Cheers.

-We found the Fosters cans just about everywhere, however we ended up wasting 1/4 of the cans sometimes, since they're so large, they are sometimes warm before we were done drinking them!

-Beer tubes are definitely doable, we bought them several times, more as a convenience while sitting outside Red Frog Pub

-We also bought buckets of beer early in the day, to leave in the cabin - again, more of a convenience, to have something in the room

None of this affected anything with Cheers!