Porters or not

808cruisef

It depends on what your definition of better is. If better means saving money by not having to tip someone per bag to bring them in for you, but having to haul your own stuff to wherever the check-in point is, then it's better not to use one.

If better means the convenienve of having your bags taken care of at the curb for a small fee and proceeding more light-of-hand to the check-in lines, you should use a porter.

The tipping is of no concern. I'm happy to tip. I was more curious about making sure that our bags get to us. Ncl sends us priority bag tags and last time we got some after midnight so I was curious what others thought of using porters or if there was something that I needed to know.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Unless you only have carry-ons, you don't have a choice. The security screeners can't put full-size luggage through the x-ray machines.

For those guests who wish to carry on luggage, it must fit through the security screening machine. When laying flat, it must not exceed 16 inches high x 24 inches wide (40.64cm x 60.96cm); the length of the bag is not a factor. Anything larger, must be checked-in with a curbside porter.

I don't know why one can't carry on luggage....many carry on small suitcases. Why can't you carry on larger? I have never seen any restrictions. I wouldn't want to lift mine on the security belt nor negotiate 2 cases with the crowds trying to embark.

There are stories of people never receiving their luggage, but obviously those are very rare. I recall some stories about luggage falling in the ocean. Who knows the legitimacy of some stories. Nothing I have read has given me thought to carry on mine....I don't even take a small bag/case on. I dress that day in clothes I'm comfortable with if I don't get suitcases until later that night.

We've cruised from most of the NCL US ports. Porters are pretty much a necessity. Using them is quick and painless. They will probably be standing right there as you unload, take your luggage to be checked, toss it on a cart, and that's it. Several times they have reminded me to be sure passport, etc are not in the checked luggage. We usually check 3 bags. I had over a $5. Everybody is happy. I've never not had my luggage arrive at my cabin. I'm not even sure how you could check that luggage in yourself.

In Seattle we didn't use a curbside porter. It was our first cruise and we walked in with our bags and checked them in and they were delivered to our room. We have used porters after that, however in NOLA they were just throwing our bags into any old bin they could find. They have no concern for the priority tags and like I said we didn't get them until after midnight. Our steward had to go look for them.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Porters only load the luggage onto the carts and work for the port. They really have nothing to do with the luggage being put on the ship (longshoremen with forklifts) or being delivered to your room (onboard crew).

If you are checking luggage your only real option is to utilize the porters.

Issues with bags going missing or arriving late? Try these steps

Put luggage straps around your bags. Makes them easy to identify and won't lose anything if zipper or lock breaks.

Put your contact information on a printed sheet inside your luggage.

Take photos of your luggage for easy reference.

We have always checked our luggage. A few cruises back SIX pieces of luggage "went missing" - not ours and not NCL. We got a flyer every day in our room with drawings and a description of each of them. I don't know if the poor guys ever got their luggage because we were still getting the flyers 4 days into the cruise. Since then we keep with us a case that is larger than a carry-on but fits the guidelines for the scanner. It has absolutely not been a problem. Our next cruise is 2 weeks with another week in Europe so we're going to do the same thing just for the peace of mind that we won't be wearing one outfit for 3 weeks!!!

We have always checked our luggage. A few cruises back SIX pieces of luggage "went missing" - not ours and not NCL. We got a flyer every day in our room with drawings and a description of each of them. I don't know if the poor guys ever got their luggage because we were still getting the flyers 4 days into the cruise. Since then we keep with us a case that is larger than a carry-on but fits the guidelines for the scanner. It has absolutely not been a problem. Our next cruise is 2 weeks with another week in Europe so we're going to do the same thing just for the peace of mind that we won't be wearing one outfit for 3 weeks!!!

Oh no! When we check in at the NYC cruise terminal, I feel like we kind of have to tip the porters that take your luggage on the curbside there just so your stuff actually makes it to the ship. Crazy, I know. :p

Same thing on our trip, there was a black garment bag that disappeared on embarkation and they sent around a flier to all the staterooms. Not a good feeling when something disappears :(