Ketchikan Private Excursions

mickeysgal

Besides floatplane tours...has anyone booked a private excursion in Ketchikan? I can't get my family on a float plane...it's a big NO...despite how much I've raved about it. Most likely we'll end up on the Misty Fjiords boat tour run by NCL, but still looking at our options. My aunt and mother have pretty limited mobility, so any significant walking is out. My mother adores bald eagles...but everything I've found involves walking. A taxi tour perhaps? Worth it? Or stick with the Misty Fjiords boat tour?

Besides floatplane tours...has anyone booked a private excursion in Ketchikan? I can't get my family on a float plane...it's a big NO...despite how much I've raved about it. Most likely we'll end up on the Misty Fjiords boat tour run by NCL, but still looking at our options. My aunt and mother have pretty limited mobility, so any significant walking is out. My mother adores bald eagles...but everything I've found involves walking. A taxi tour perhaps? Worth it? Or stick with the Misty Fjiords boat tour?

We have the Ketchikan Taxi Cab tour booked for our day- this way we can customize it to whatever we want to see (kids want to see bears, I want to see Totem poles, hubby wants to catch the Lumberjack show)... with 2 members of your party with mobility issues, this type of tour may be a good idea for your group.

Agree with John, lots of bald eagles on the Deadliest Catch excursion. However, one thing to note...the largest concentration of bald eagles on this tour will be in one spot...the vessel will stop and you will be able to view multiple eagles flying about and diving into the water. It is quite a spectacular sight to see.

We saw lots of bald eagles during the week either from the ship or from excursions that were not intended to see eagles. Something to keep in mind. Not so much for other wildlife, we really only saw whales on our whale watching excursion, and we only say bears in Denali, etc.

Hi guys, will be in Ketchikan on May19th from 1:30 to 8 p.m. on the Radiance Ots. What is the possibility of seeing eagles that early in May on the Deadliest catch tour? Been thinkin of takin that tour. Inquiring minds would like to know!!

Virginia

They feed the eagles to entice them. If you are okay with that, then you are likely to see plenty of them. Some people object to this practice and avoid the tour. Your choice.

Hi guys, will be in Ketchikan on May19th from 1:30 to 8 p.m. on the Radiance Ots. What is the possibility of seeing eagles that early in May on the Deadliest catch tour? Been thinkin of takin that tour. Inquiring minds would like to know!!

Virginia

I have frequently gone the week that you are going and have always seen plenty of eagles with out looking for them. I wouldn't worry about that. Juneau is a great place to see eagles also.

We have the Ketchikan Taxi Cab tour booked for our day- this way we can customize it to whatever we want to see (kids want to see bears, I want to see Totem poles, hubby wants to catch the Lumberjack show)... with 2 members of your party with mobility issues, this type of tour may be a good idea for your group.

The lumberjack show is very close to where the ships dock - within walking distance. I definitely would not pay for a taxi for this time period as you can easily walk there and I would not want to pay for a taxi to wait during the show. Not sure where they are taking you for bears?

Virginia

We have done this tour in May & September...You'll definitely see a "lot" more in May...I was a bit disappointed in September.

Just a suggestion, but do you all HAVE TO stick together. Couldn't you go on the float plane tour and your mom and aunt take the boat tour? Just seems to me you'd have an excellent dinner conversation that night relaying your respective stories.:)