Snorkeling from the beach

Pennrod

We like to snorkel from the beach. Any suggestions for good spots from the beaches of Grand Turk, Amber Cove and Half Moon Cay? Please be specific on directions (left or right from the pier etc.). If you could pick one of the three ports, which would it be for the best snorkeling from the beach?

At Half Moon Cay, get there early and if the water has been calm try snorkeling along the left side along the rocky shore all the way to the floating line. The right side to the far end (Not past the signs) are some underwater rocks with lots of fish, surf can be rough, and barracudas are around.

At Grand Turk right off the Margaritaville beach or go to the right some if the water is calm. Good ship Excursions from these two ports. Amber Cove water not good for snorkeling anywhere.

Grand Turk is an awesome place to snorkel- perhaps the best in the "Caribbean" area. But you need to get out to the Wall. I am sure it is not bad from the shore- there is beach right at the port.

Half Moon Cay doesn't have good snorkeling. It has snorkeling...but I wouldn't waste my time.

Won't be at Amber Cove for another month, so can't answer for that location.

HMC: once off the dock and facing out to the ocean, walk up the beach to the right for about 20 minutes to the rocky out-cropping and well beyond the horse trails. There are inland paths you can use for part of the way but the last part past the horse trails you will need to walk on the beach itself. You can see this on a google earth map.

GrandTurk: walk 4.5 miles to the Osprey Hotel on the end of Cockburn Town closest to the cruise ship or take a cab ($5 per person) or rent a vehicle/cart etc. Shore snorkeling there though there might be a hotel beach access fee. Check with the hotel or maybe it is just the cost of having lunch there later. Lovely, low key spot, romantic views. Check google earth maps again to see this location.

Amber Cove - did not try to snorkel there. Took the city tour to Santa Domingo instead - very interesting.

I would pick the Grand Turk location over HMC if you only do one. Best DIY snorkeling we found on a recent cruise was Klein Bonaire off Bonaire, but that requires taking an A-B-C island cruise.

Here is the link to Osprey Beach Hotel in Grand Turk - they also mention Governor's Beach which is on your way from the ship to the hotel. It looked very unused so I don't know about its safety, but the views of it were pretty fabulous. There is a dive shop right across the street from this little hotel - they can give you the best tips.

http://www.ospreybeachhotel.com/thingstodo/

There are no public buses in Grand Turk, so you will have to arrange to get to any other locale on your own.

From Snorkeling.online: Grand Turk

OSPREY BEACH HOTEL

The crystal clear waters just off of the beach area of the Osprey Beach Hotel are excellent for all levels of snorkelers. Entry from the sugar white each is uncomplicated and the abundance in marine life will amaze you. This is an excellent area for in water photo opportunities. Trumpet Fish, Stop Light Parrotfish, Grunts are just a few of the creatures that make this reef and sand area their home. You might even spot a shy octopus or two hiding themselves in some of the nooks and crannies of the coral reef areas.

GOVERNORS BEACH

This site is home to a spectacular expanse of beach which is about a 15 to 20 minute walk from the cruise center. The warm waters here invite you to snorkel with the schools of chub and snapper as they frolic with the parrotfish and angelfish. The plate corals scattered here are a good opportunity to spot spotted drums and damselfish. You might also catch a glimpse of some flamingo tongues clinging to the colorful soft corals. This area is part of the Columbus Landfall National Park and is subject to the rules and regulations as set forth by the government there. There are public washrooms here and even a bar for libations following your most enjoyable snorkeling adventure.

Here is the link to Osprey Beach Hotel in Grand Turk - they also mention Governor's Beach which is on your way from the ship to the hotel. It looked very unused so I don't know about its safety, but the views of it were pretty fabulous. There is a dive shop right across the street from this little hotel - they can give you the best tips.

Thanks for the link, OlsSalt! And for the info on Governor's and Osprey Beaches. Sounds awesome!

My best day snorkeling at Half Moon Cay I'd rank fair to poor, poor being the times I saw almost no fish. So on my best day there I did see some fish which was nice but it was hardly worth the effort. I was along the rocks on the left side of the beach, as you face the ocean. I did not try to the far right, instead we enjoyed the nature trails inland which was a fun way to see birds. m--

Half Moon Cay can have some interesting snorkeling. As others have mentioned, if it's calm the left side along the rocks and by the man made reef areas can be ok. We take our own snorkel gear, so find it fun to check it out. We often see a turtle or 2 there, often see at least 1 baracuda, I've even seen an octopus there on 2 different cruises. If you'd like to see what's out there, here's a link to my day there last Nov. http://frombeachestopeachesandbeyond.blogspot.com/2016/12/12-16-half-moon-cay-day-we-had-all-our.html

I'd read that the best shore snorkeling on Grand Turk was Pillory Beach. We took a taxi there last Nov. It was a pretty place, but the snorkeling was actually much better right by the cruise ship port---and there are free lounge chairs there. My pictures from that day are here: http://frombeachestopeachesandbeyond.blogspot.com/2016/12/12-6-16-grand-turk-11am-530pm-off-to.html

Amber Cove was a no go for snorkeling. The water was very dirty. Did see some people wading in the water from a beach to the left of the docks (looking towards land from the ship), but didn't see anyone snorkeling. We spent the day at the free pool---it was very nice. http://frombeachestopeachesandbeyond.blogspot.com/2016/12/12-7-16-amber-cove-dominican-republic.html

Thank you, slabeaume! Beautiful pictures and great info. I really appreciate the links. Spending time at the pool in Amber Cove sounds like a great idea and I'm really getting excited about snorkeling from the beaches of Grand Turk and HMC:D

• 1 year later...

For Grand Turk we found a good snorkeling location about a 1km walk from the pier. Head South from the pier, and leave the cruise ship area, from there take a sand road to the other side of the island, there is a beach and when we were there it was covered in conch shells. There are some reefs just off shore.

When we were there it was very rough, and all of the ship sponsored excursions were canceled, however we still had a great time.

We've been to Grand Turk a handful of times and we have found the best place to be is right at the cruise ship Pier. Governors beech is no better and we felt like we wasted our time getting there as opposed to just picking a chair and staying put.

Amber Cove we went on a really nice ship Excursion snorkeling to see turtles and snorkeled over shipwreck. It is true the water isn't as clear as Grand Turk or half moon cay.