Mariner - Compass Rose

Normansmom

Hello!

Our first Regent Cruise will be Alaska in August on the Mariner. Have cruised many times before, but on Celebrity only.

I have a question about the Compass Rose dinner menu. I looked at the sample menus online and it states that the new menu will be launched, on Mariner, in 2018. I was wondering if the "all time favorite appetizers" and "design your own entrees" are a part of the Mariner dinner menu?

Thanks so much!!

Hi and welcome to the Regent board:).

You asked a really interesting question because the information on the website contradicts what I have heard previously. Although the refurbishment of the Mariner had to be delayed until 2018, it was our understanding that the new Compass Rose menu would be introduced on the Mariner in Spring of 2017.

The current menu on the Mariner does not include the "all time favorite appetizers" and "design your own entrees" (however, there do have a nice selection of both appetizers and entrees).

Hopefully we will get a more definitive answer as we will also be sailing on the Mariner this year.

Hi Travelcat2,

Thanks so much for your reply and your welcome to the Regent board! Thanks, also, for sharing the info. Since you are sailing on the Mariner this year, I would look forward to hearing about your experiences and any updates on the dining!! I'm learning a lot about the Regent experience by reading the threads on the board.

Thanks

Just looked at the Regent website and found this information regarding the new menu:

"We are pleased to re-introduce the elegantly enhanced Compass Rose, the largest specialty restaurant across our fleet. Ensuring a tantalizing mix of new and familiar items on every visit, the new lunch and dinner menus offer a vast selection to meet your discerning tastes. Exclusively aboard Seven Seas Voyager[emoji768], and Seven Seas Navigator[emoji768] for lunch, you may choose from a robust list of appetizers and main courses from our specialty restaurants. And across our fleet for dinner you have the unique ability to design your very own entrée from preferred sides, sauces, pastas and main features of beef, poultry and fish. This is in addition to sinfully indulgent desserts made by talented bakers and pastry chefs. With daily changing menus, the refreshed Compass Rose offers more choices than ever before. The new menu will launch aboard Seven Seas Mariner[emoji768] on March 8, 2017."

Looking forward to many lovely meals when we sail on Regent for the first time this August to Alaska on Mariner. Getting very excited! [emoji846]

Sent from my iPad using Forums

That's for posting the information - we now have a launch date for CR on the Mariner. I'm sure that everyone sailing on the Mariner will love the new menu.

Just want to remind posters that Compass Rose is closed for lunch on the Explorer (except for Sunday when they are running their special buffet). Chartreuse and Prime 7 switch opening days but are both open on sea days.

I just came off Mariner in January. I wasn't overly impressed with Compass Rose. Before I retired I was a bread baker and cake decorator, I wasn't overly impressed with the rolls and bread served. It was dry and hard, I will agree with Travelcat about if you have a complaint to take it up with the lead waiter or manager. After three bad entrees, my friends twice and one of mine, on the first dinner she didn't get her salad. I wondered if the fact that I didn't order a salad they didn't bring hers, because they served the entree. The second night she got her salad but her entree was the Canyon Spa lobster was rubbery and tasteless. The third night my steak was overcooked. But I had seen it posted by others that they over cooked the steaks. But she complained to the manager and they started leaving a tiered Dessert sampler at the table through the rest of the cruise. This was my first luxury cruise but not at a luxury restaurant, I was not impressed with the service and we had a different one each night, they never asked us if we had a preference. If I had one real complaint it was the dry hard bread. But it was put in a warming tray and it might have been turned up too high. Prime 7 was more a Luxury restaurant than Compass Rose. The food was perfect and cooked the best. I wish we could have eaten there every night.

I just came off Mariner in January. I wasn't overly impressed with Compass Rose. Before I retired I was a bread baker and cake decorator, I wasn't overly impressed with the rolls and bread served. It was dry and hard, I will agree with Travelcat about if you have a complaint to take it up with the lead waiter or manager. After three bad entrees, my friends twice and one of mine, on the first dinner she didn't get her salad. I wondered if the fact that I didn't order a salad they didn't bring hers, because they served the entree. The second night she got her salad but her entree was the Canyon Spa lobster was rubbery and tasteless. The third night my steak was overcooked. But I had seen it posted by others that they over cooked the steaks. But she complained to the manager and they started leaving a tiered Dessert sampler at the table through the rest of the cruise. This was my first luxury cruise but not at a luxury restaurant, I was not impressed with the service and we had a different one each night, they never asked us if we had a preference. If I had one real complaint it was the dry hard bread. But it was put in a warming tray and it might have been turned up too high. Prime 7 was more a Luxury restaurant than Compass Rose. The food was perfect and cooked the best. I wish we could have eaten there every night.

I find you comments very interesting. As you probably know, Compass Rose on the Mariner will soon change menu's and, IMO, it is for the better. Signatures also will be undergoing a change (also for the better). We do find desserts and bread to be the most inconsistent on Regent ships. I'm glad that you received a special dessert tray after letting management know that you were not happy. I cannot overstress how important it is to let onboard management know if something is not right. Once you leave the ship, they can't fix the problem.

Good to hear that you enjoyed Prime 7:)

I find you comments very interesting. As you probably know, Compass Rose on the Mariner will soon change menu's and, IMO, it is for the better. Signatures also will be undergoing a change (also for the better). We do find desserts and bread to be the most inconsistent on Regent ships. I'm glad that you received a special dessert tray after letting management know that you were not happy. I cannot overstress how important it is to let onboard management know if something is not right. Once you leave the ship, they can't fix the problem.

Good to hear that you enjoyed Prime 7:)

Having been on Voyager after its refurb and change of menus we agree that the new menu in Compass Rose is excellent. Also, we loved the bread (always fresh) and desserts, so maybe the bread maker on Mariner was having an off-time

However, we found the dishes in Chartreuse disappointing; a step down from Signatures. Also, unlike Signatures the menu never changes which is an issue for those on longer cruises

Just looked at the Regent website and found this information regarding the new menu:

"We are pleased to re-introduce the elegantly enhanced Compass Rose, the largest specialty restaurant across our fleet. Ensuring a tantalizing mix of new and familiar items on every visit, the new lunch and dinner menus offer a vast selection to meet your discerning tastes. Exclusively aboard Seven Seas Voyager[emoji768], and Seven Seas Navigator[emoji768] for lunch, you may choose from a robust list of appetizers and main courses from our specialty restaurants. And across our fleet for dinner you have the unique ability to design your very own entrée from preferred sides, sauces, pastas and main features of beef, poultry and fish. This is in addition to sinfully indulgent desserts made by talented bakers and pastry chefs. With daily changing menus, the refreshed Compass Rose offers more choices than ever before. The new menu will launch aboard Seven Seas Mariner[emoji768] on March 8, 2017."

Looking forward to many lovely meals when we sail on Regent for the first time this August to Alaska on Mariner. Getting very excited! [emoji846]

That is good news. We board the Mariner on March 29!!

As usual, Regent's website is inconsistent

This page https://www.rssc.com/ships/seven_seas_mariner/cuisine/default.aspx#Content states "Compass Rose will undergo enhancements and a new menu will be unveiled in the spring of 2018"

whereas this page https://www.rssc.com/experience/cuisine/compass-rose/states "The new menu will launch aboard Seven Seas Mariner on March 8, 2017"

For the enjoyment of those cruising this year, I hope the latter is correct

I haven't found anything indicating when Signatures will morph into Chartreuse on Mariner

I am assuming that Chartreuse will replace Signatures on the Mariner as it doesn't make sense to keep it for another year. We were not huge fans of Signatures but are fans of Chartreuse (for lunch only - on the Explorer). I guess we'll find out in the near future.

As usual, Regent's website is inconsistent

This page https://www.rssc.com/ships/seven_seas_mariner/cuisine/default.aspx#Content states "Compass Rose will undergo enhancements and a new menu will be unveiled in the spring of 2018"

whereas this page https://www.rssc.com/experience/cuisine/compass-rose/states "The new menu will launch aboard Seven Seas Mariner on March 8, 2017"

For the enjoyment of those cruising this year, I hope the latter is correct

I haven't found anything indicating when Signatures will morph into Chartreuse on Mariner

I had seen that inconsistency as well. I'm with you, and hoping the latter is correct! Perhaps someone who sails the Mariner in March can let us know which it is!

See? This is the kind of stuff Regent needs to identify and fix. How tough would it be for them to have someone spend a few hours each week to scan CC and other sites to see what kind of errors people have found in their literature and on the website? We're effectively doing their QC for them, yet they never take any action.

A simple matter of correcting the website and informing their agents in Miami...would it really be that tough? :rolleyes:

Greetings all-

Thank you Normansmom for your post above. I copied/pasted/forwarded it to my

my wonderful Regent agent and he confirmed the following good news! [emoji846]

"The new menu went into effect on March 8th, 2017. The ship is going under refurbishment in March of 2018. Hence the confusion between the two...

Hans Thumann

Personal Vacation Consultant

Oceania Cruises | Regent Seven Seas Cruises"

Being a first time cruiser with Regent I booked directly with them. Thank heaven our friends traveling with us had sailed with them before and connected us with their travel agent to transfer the booking. Win-win for everyone.

Greetings all-

"The new menu went into effect on March 8th, 2017. The ship is going under refurbishment in March of 2018. Hence the confusion between the two...

Hans Thumann

Being a first time cruiser with Regent I booked directly with them. Thank heaven our friends traveling with us had sailed with them before and connected us with their travel agent to transfer the booking. Win-win for everyone.

Thank you for your post. Did your consultant happen to mention is Signatures is becoming Chartreuse on the same date. (Also - just a nit pick -- March 8th isn't in the past - still in the future). :)

Thank you for your post. Did your consultant happen to mention is Signatures is becoming Chartreuse on the same date. (Also - just a nit pick -- March 8th isn't in the past - still in the future). :)

We are sailing on the Mariner in late May. When I made our dinner reservations the other day, although Chartreuse as well as Signatures and Prime 7 seemed to appear as options, only Prime 7 and Signatures provided times for reservations.

I hope that someone cruising after March 8 will post and confirm that the new Compass Rose menu is in place.

You are fortunate as, IMO, the dishes on offer in Signatures are a cut above those on the new Chartreuse menu

So those sailing on Mariner this year will have the best of both worlds - the old Signatures menus and the new Compass Rose menu

I am sure others may disagree

Greetings all-

Hans Thumann

Thanks so much for finding out this info! It is my first Regent Cruise (though second cruise to Alaska) and I'm looking very forward to it!!

Greetings all-

Hans Thumann

Find the above signature block of the Personal Vacation Consultant very interesting. Seems in addition to all of the functions combined since the purchase of PCH by NCLH, the Cruise Consultants are now doing double duty supporting both Regent and Oceania based on the above signature.

Certainly hope there is more cruise line specific training going on with the more difficult knowledge required in order to differentiate the two very different experience. Know many here are aware of the need to HUCA (hang up call again) in order to be sure the response received to questions is consistent and correct. Having to know the differences between the two cruise lines makes the job to know what the correct response is to the question all that much more difficult when juggling the differences.

Here's the response from my Regent agent:

"Won't be Chartreuse until 2018 unfortunately."

Thank you again and this is truly unfortunate. We will likely not dine in Signatures on our Mariner cruise this year unless we order the one item on the menu that we like. While some people also do not care for Chartreuse, IMO, it is a good idea not to have preconceived negative thoughts about the dining venue before you try it. The soups in Chartreuse are amazing and most of the food that we have tried has been excellent!

Normansmom-

We are in the same boat [emoji6] as this will be my first cruise on Regent but second to Alaska. First trip (and first ever cruise) was on Holland America's Noordam 30 years ago! While this coming voyage will be a different experience on every level, nothing will eclipse the wonderful memories of that magical journey!

We sail on August 9th from Vancouver north to Seward. Will I see you onboard?

Normansmom-

We are in the same boat [emoji6] as this will be my first cruise on Regent but second to Alaska. First trip (and first ever cruise) was on Holland America's Noordam 30 years ago! While this coming voyage will be a different experience on every level, nothing will eclipse the wonderful memories of that magical journey!

We sail on August 9th from Vancouver north to Seward. Will I see you onboard?

Unfortunately, we are on different sailings. Ours is August 16th from Seward to Vancouver. I'm sure we will both have a wonderful vacation and it is awesome to be able to go back to Alaska after 12 years! Bon Voyage and thanks again for your response!