Sanctuary or Lotus Pool

sippican

Our first Princess Cruise is coming up and, after a forum search, I still have a few questions.

We really enjoy the adult pool areas on RCCI and X. I am wondering whether to reserve the Sanctuary or take our chances with the Lotus Pool area.

The things we like about the RCCI and X pool areas are, lack of blaring music, comfy loungers and availability of shade.

I am aware of the additional cost. It seems as though you get to "choose" your loungers when you reserve, yet I've read posts stating that the attendants will move your loungers to different areas - is that correct? Is the reserved lounger the main perk of the fee?

We do like to spend a fair amount of time just lounging and reading and are not opposed to paying, but wondering if we'd be just as happy in the Lotus area. Shade is a must.

Appreciate your thoughts and suggestions.

What ship? Not all are ships are the same. My requirements are the same. I am very happy using the Lotus Pool area on ships like Crown, Emerald, Ruby. Royal, Regal have an adults only "retreat" pool that is mostly taken up with cabanas for a fee and shade is not that great otherwise, just a kind of an overhead netting. Sanctuary is nice if you have money to burn, otherwise not a big deal for me. And, yes, the reserved comfy lounger is the big perk along with the peach and quiet.

It's going to depend on the sailing that you're on whether the Sanctuary or just the pool is better.

We use the Lotus pool elusively...never used any other pool in 22 cruises.

Usually, the Lotus pool is empty or one or 2 people. On our cruise on the Crown in Nov/Dec (Hawaii and South Pacific) it was standing room only. The people in the loungers were "parked" for the duration. We tried several times at different times on different days and always saw basically the same people. Finally gave up.

If that happens on your cruise, you'll want the Sanctuary.

Assuming the OP is asking about Coral Princess per their countdown clock.

(gentle reminder: please mention name of ship in the body of the post; many, many of us have signatures turned off and will not see countdown clocks)

The Lotus Pool is officially adults only but on Coral the area it is enclosed in also includes the ice cream stand so you will see kids coming and going from there. I was on Coral in 2009 (before she had either the Sanctuary or MUTS added, so ancient history) and the Lotus Pool area was always pretty peaceful and quiet.

The Sanctuary on Coral (and fraternal twin Island) is unique in facing aft rather than forward, and has a very small pool within its limits. All I can suggest is to check out the position of the loungers; on Coral there is someone less flexibility in moving them around than on the Grand-class ships with the forward Sanctuary. As the Lotus Pool on Coral is completely covered there may be more shade to your liking there than the Sanctuary.

If you reserve for the entire cruise certainly the perk is having your own lounger to come and go to as you please, plus the same attendants who will learn your beverage preferences quickly. A full Afternoon Tea service is brought to you should you be there at that hour.

I have never had an issue with kids anywhere on the Princess ships so I mostly hang out everywhere. I do love the Lotus pool as it is blocked from the wind. The Sanctuary is not worth the money to me so I have never purchased a day. I have been on the Dawn, Crown, Sapphire, Diamond, and Ruby and loved the Lotus pool on all of them.

There are only 10 or 12 padded lounges around the Lotus pool on the Grand/Gem class ships. Half are usually in sun, half in shade. Early risers pretty much stake out their chairs. Better to reserve the Sanctuary and be assured a spot. It is great; you will love it!

I have never had an issue with kids anywhere on the Princess ships so I mostly hang out everywhere. I do love the Lotus pool as it is blocked from the wind. The Sanctuary is not worth the money to me so I have never purchased a day. I have been on the Dawn, Crown, Sapphire, Diamond, and Ruby and loved the Lotus pool on all of them.

There are only 10 or 12 padded lounges around the Lotus pool on the Grand/Gem class ships. Half are usually in sun, half in shade. Early risers pretty much stake out their chairs. Better to reserve the Sanctuary and be assured a spot. It is great; you will love it!

Neither of the above will factor in the OP's decision as they presumably are on Coral Princess where unlike on the Grand-class and its close siblings the Lotus Pool is midship and fully covered. (Would be really, really nice if OP came back to confirm)

Yes, Coral, partial canal transit! (Forgot that some turn off signatures - I find them to be a great tool on the boards).

I was unable to access the thread at all yesterday, guess the "bugs" are worked out.

Thank you for the replies. I am a bit concenred about the limited loungers at the Lotus pool.

Edited by sippican