Transportation TO the airport

sk8rmomof3

We are flying in the night before and staying in a hotel where we have a hotel shuttle to the port. After the cruise, I'm trying to figure out the best way to get to the airport for a family of 5. The shuttle bus provided by the cruise is $30/person for a 5 minute drive!!! Is it easier/cheaper to get a taxi? Can you reserve a taxi before the cruise? Or call a taxi after the cruise when we debark? What have you found is easiest when you have kids?

We are flying in the night before and staying in a hotel where we have a hotel shuttle to the port. After the cruise, I'm trying to figure out the best way to get to the airport for a family of 5. The shuttle bus provided by the cruise is $30/person for a 5 minute drive!!! Is it easier/cheaper to get a taxi? Can you reserve a taxi before the cruise? Or call a taxi after the cruise when we debark? What have you found is easiest when you have kids?

Might depend what port you are going to be at, but I would just grab a taxi at the curb or call an Uber.

Might depend what port you are going to be at, but I would just grab a taxi at the curb or call an Uber.

Fort Lauderdale. Uber makes me nervous!

Taxi's are just waiting by the curb? That's handy!

Last time we cruised last year, it was our first cruise and we went without children because my husband's employer sent us and it was all inclusive, and transportation was prearranged. This time we are on our own and I'm left to figure it all out!

Fort Lauderdale. Uber makes me nervous!

Uber is the only way to get around, haven't used a traditional "taxi" in years. Always cheaper and the service has always been levels above.

Download the app and give it a whirl, you'll never go back to a taxi in any city that has Uber

If you don't want to go the Uber route (you'll need UberXL for your family)

Taxis will be lined up, as will private shuttles.

Couple of considerations-- do you need car seats?

Many taxis cannot hold a family of 5. A shuttle van will probably be best. Can reserve ahead of time but many will be lined up.

If you don't want to go the Uber route (you'll need UberXL for your family)

Taxis will be lined up, as will private shuttles.

Couple of considerations-- do you need car seats?

Many taxis cannot hold a family of 5. A shuttle van will probably be best. Can reserve ahead of time but many will be lined up.

No carseats. I just don't like the $30/person fee of the shuttle through the cruise line. Are there different shuttles?

If you use Uber, I guarantee you will never use a taxi again. Not sure why people still use a taxi over Uber but that's just me.

Lot's of reasons and one of them being with a family of 5 like the OP is. Taxi mini van type will work out cheapest, quickest and easiest for this quick ride PE-FLL.

Easiest for you will be to get in the taxi line and opt for a mini van type.

Not sure why people still use a taxi over Uber but that's just me.

I too am a devoted Uber/Lyft user, but...lots of visitors from outside of the USA don't want to pay the expensive data/roaming fees for their smart phones to work here - why spend $$ on phone fees to save just a few bucks on cab fares?

I too am a devoted Uber/Lyft user, but...lots of visitors from outside of the USA don't want to pay the expensive data/roaming fees for their smart phones to work here - why spend $$ on phone fees to save just a few bucks on cab fares?
That isn't the issue.

We are from the UK and have a permanent call (but not data) roaming deal which enables us to phone anywhere in the EU and the USA (plus lots of other places like Australia, New Zealand and Hong Kong), from the USA all within our call inclusive bundle plus a separate inclusive data roaming deal on an iPad.

BUT

if we book with Uber and the Uber driver needs to phone us, even though we may only be 100yards from him, he has to make a very expensive international call to a UK mobile number in order to contact us and there is no way around this.

So, for visitors to the US, Uber is OK when being picked up from an address / hotel, but no good if being picked up from a busy public place like a cruise terminal.