Need help with some tech related questions

cruise101

We have sailed with HAL before, but our last cruise with them was some 5 years ago. Can anyone please provide guidance re the following:

1. Does HAL still run computer classes and if so is there a cost associated with it. The last time we sailed with HAL, they had Microsoft running some very good courses which were all complimentary.

2. What is HAL's current pricing structure for internet use and is the internet high speed (like they have on Celebrity). Also are there are Mariner discounts for past HAL guests.

3. I also recall reading somewhere that one can access the daily shipboard program (newsletter) on your smart phone. Does this require you to download any HAL apps in advance and also, do you need a paid internet connection while on board to enjoy this privilege?

Thanks in advance.

We have sailed with HAL before, but our last cruise with them was some 5 years ago. Can anyone please provide guidance re the following:

1. Does HAL still run computer classes and if so is there a cost associated with it. The last time we sailed with HAL, they had Microsoft running some very good courses which were all complimentary.

2. What is HAL's current pricing structure for internet use and is the internet high speed (like they have on Celebrity). Also are there are Mariner discounts for past HAL guests.

3. I also recall reading somewhere that one can access the daily shipboard program (newsletter) on your smart phone. Does this require you to download any HAL apps in advance and also, do you need a paid internet connection while on board to enjoy this privilege?

Thanks in advance.

1. Yes, HAL still runs computer classes. They are complimentary.

2. Internet pricing is usually by the minute or a package of minutes. Unlimited used to be on a couple of ships. Not sure if it is still offered or not. Pricing is around $55 for 100 minutes, $250 for 1,000 for example.

3. Which ship are you sailing on? Most are still paper for newsletters. I know the Koningsdam has the electronic version. Hopefully someone can elaborate on that for you.

1. Yes, and they are still free

2. On most ships it is the same as it was 5 years ago: $55 for 100 minutes, $100 for 250 minutes, and so on up for larger packages. Some ships might still be offering unlimited time packages, but I'm not sure. No discounts for less than 5* Mariners, who get some free time I believe.

3. I don't think this is on all ships yet. You do not have install an app or pay for access to the Daily Navigator. You just use a browser to log onto a ship's intranet home page.There are other functions too, such as accessing your on board account, checking your reservations, creating a personal itinerary, etc. A paper version of the daily program is also provided.

What ship are you on?

edit: simul-typing with Kazu! :) Oosterdam has the new intranet system. It works from a laptop too.

Edited by catl331

I was on the Zuiderdam earlier this month. I accessed the daily navigator on the computers sometimes as well as reviewed my onboard account (and checked HAL's site for future cruises). I only paid for 3 minutes of internet (on the by the minute plan--75 cents a minute) to quickly check messages on Facebook and then the last full day special (15 minutes for $8.25) to check in with my airline.

Many thanks for all your speedy responses. In response to your question, my questions were related to the Koningsdam.

Koningsdam definitely has all the "bells and whistles". I just left her last Sunday. Restaurant Menus for all restaurants and main dining room, on line viewing of account, excursions, and more. Easy to set up and use. Connect to ship's wifi, set up account with your name and cabin number and go for it.

Koningsdam definitely has all the "bells and whistles". I just left her last Sunday. Restaurant Menus for all restaurants and main dining room, on line viewing of account, excursions, and more. Easy to set up and use. Connect to ship's wifi, set up account with your name and cabin number and go for it.

I agree, I thought it was very handy on the Konigsdam the week before you.