Internet Packages

teesmc

Is the VOOM Surf and Stream the only option for internet on RC Oasis? My husband and I will want to access our emails periodically, but we don't need the high speed streaming. $22 per day for 2 devices seems crazy. Are there other packages once on board? Any suggestions?

Is the VOOM Surf and Stream the only option for internet on RC Oasis? My husband and I will want to access our emails periodically, but we don't need the high speed streaming. $22 per day for 2 devices seems crazy. Are there other packages once on board? Any suggestions?

Surf & Stream is currently the only option to purchase pre-cruise. Once onboard you can opt for the Surf only, which runs $12 (undiscounted) per day for one device. So you can see that the discounted Surf & Stream pre-cruise is a better deal than the undiscounted Surf onboard. There's no way to predict if there will be a discount onboard.

FYI. If you plan to buy the Beverage package and the Voom package you should verify if the Sip and Stream package ($49 per day) is available in your trip. You can find out in the Cruise planner. I found it today in mine.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I really wouldn't recommend the surf plan. We bought it on Harmony and it was fairly useless even for email.

That was very likely an isolated incident. Most reports, especially on ships with O3B (like Harmony) have Surf working just fine for e-mail.Also, if there are issues with the WiFi system upgrading to the Stream tier is unlikely to fix things.

Are there other packages once on board? Any suggestions?

While more expensive per day than package prices, you can get a single 24 hour period for one device Surf for $20.If you could share the one device package, use WiFi in ports you could get by buying such single day plans on just sea days and be able to check e-mail every day for much less than buying the package for the full cruise.

That was very likely an isolated incident. Most reports, especially on ships with O3B (like Harmony) have Surf working just fine for e-mail.Also, if there are issues with the WiFi system upgrading to the Stream tier is unlikely to fix things.

While I don't use it (it is vacation after all) my wife does and the internet on the Oasis class ships is shockingly fast considering you're out in the middle of the ocean.

She has zero issues surfing, streaming...etc

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

While I don't use it (it is vacation after all) my wife does and the internet on the Oasis class ships is shockingly fast considering you're out in the middle of the ocean.

Yes, initial reports from Oasis after O3B was installed during her dry-dock had folks report up to 25 Mbps on Stream - indeed fast in the middle of the ocean.

• 5 months later...
Yes, initial reports from Oasis after O3B was installed during her dry-dock had folks report up to 25 Mbps on Stream - indeed fast in the middle of the ocean.

That was very similar to my experience a couple years ago. Super-fast speeds (20+ Mbps). On my Harmony of the Seas cruise in February 2017, I consistently got 3.6 Mbps down / 1.8 Mpbs up / 200-240 ping throughout the week. Speeds were the same in the afternoon as they were in the middle of the night.

It's obvious that they are artificially throttling even the Stream package. Even 10 down / 5 up would work well and would avoid virtually all problems. I found that video streaming only occasionally worked, given the low speed connection. With the exorbitant rates they are charging, reducing the throttling would be greatly appreciated.

... It's obvious that they are artificially throttling even the Stream package. Even 10 down / 5 up would work well and would avoid virtually all problems. I found that video streaming only occasionally worked, given the low speed connection. With the exorbitant rates they are charging, reducing the throttling would be greatly appreciated.

I wonder how many guests ask for a refund on the stream package when they were unable to actually stream?

Unless you absolutely have to be on at the same time, there is no reason to get it for two devices.

Sent from my iPad using Forums