Jamaica Beach excursions

kc58ab

I'm sure someone will feel the need to say ask on the ports of call boards...and I did. But they don't have the traffic volume nor as many Carnival cruisers. I'm looking for the best beach excursion in Jamaica. It appears the choices are Bamboo Beach Club or Pearly Beach. Anyone go on either? Suggestions on which is better and why.

I tried to search for both but cannot find much on Bamboo and nothing on Pearly (think this one is newer option).

Thanks in advance...counting down to cruise leaving Saturday!!!

Is that within walking distance? This was an impromptu trip with my daughter and she doesn't have a Passport so I don't really want to do an non cruise excursion unless I can easily walk there and know I can get back on time.

Is that within walking distance? This was an impromptu trip with my daughter and she doesn't have a Passport so I don't really want to do an non cruise excursion unless I can easily walk there and know I can get back on time.

If your going into montego bay it is about 3 or so miles away.

Lots of taxi's so leave beach say 3 hours before sailing time so you have lots of time to get back.

Going into Ocho Rios. Any good beaches in walking distance there? Why would u not go back to Bamboo?

Thanks

Hi there

There is a beach about a 10 min. walk from port in Ocho Rios. You can see it from the ship, on the left side (not necessarily the port side) looking towards land. It is called Ocho Rios bay beach. You can look it up on trip advisor.

hope this helps

have a great cruise

Can I say OH PLEASE. There are many, many taxis. you do not need a shore excursion to take a bus to the beach. I never heard of Dr.Cable but there is a Doctors Cave Beach, we enjoyed Aqua Sol, nice beach massage, Cornwall is also a very nice beach. Just go to TripAdvisor and check out beach reviews. BTW, the cab drivers are at all the beaches hawking rides, never a problem getting back to the ship.

Can I say OH PLEASE. There are many, many taxis. you do not need a shore excursion to take a bus to the beach. I never heard of Dr.Cable but there is a Doctors Cave Beach, we enjoyed Aqua Sol, nice beach massage, Cornwall is also a very nice beach. Just go to TripAdvisor and check out beach reviews. BTW, the cab drivers are at all the beaches hawking rides, never a problem getting back to the ship.

Yes u can and did I suppose ;p

Guess you could say I'm too paranoid. ..could get taxi and it breaks down or they take you somewhere you don't want to go. It's a foreign country and from what I've read, not been to Jamaica before, it can be dangerous place. Many tourist areas have armed guards. If u do cruise excursion they wait on you.

Hi thereThere is a beach about a 10 min. walk from port in Ocho Rios. You can see it from the ship, on the left side (not necessarily the port side) looking towards land. It is called Ocho Rios bay beach. You can look it up on trip advisor.

hope this helps

have a great cruise

Thank you! I did look on trip advisor before and wondered if this Pearly beach was the same as bay beach. Looks like might be.

Thank you! I did look on trip advisor before and wondered if this Pearly beach was the same as bay beach. Looks like might be.

Hi there

No it's called Ocho Rios Bay Beach. It is definitely there, just checked. Although I noticed that when I go to the site it reverts to a .ca suffix instead of .com.

I would imagine that it should be the same, since I post to it and there are views from people from around the world. Try again, you should see pictures, maps, reviews (I put one for it, but that was a few years ago) etc.

if your taxi breaks down, there will be 20 behind you, no worries. As to dangerous, not in broad daylight when a cruise ship is in. You might not want to walk around Kingston at midnight. The people were super friendly and the Jerk chicken was excellent.

if your taxi breaks down, there will be 20 behind you, no worries. As to dangerous, not in broad daylight when a cruise ship is in. You might not want to walk around Kingston at midnight. The people were super friendly and the Jerk chicken was excellent.

Agreed just say no thanks when they offer to sell you pot.

If you are really worried a private ride to the beach is not for you

Hi there

There is a beach about a 10 min. walk from port in Ocho Rios. You can see it from the ship, on the left side (not necessarily the port side) looking towards land. It is called Ocho Rios bay beach. You can look it up on trip advisor.

hope this helps

have a great cruise

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Review-g147312-d538092-Reviews-Ocho_Rios_Bay_Beach-Ocho_Rios_Saint_Ann_Parish_Jamaica.html

OP, what you and your daughter choose to do is completely up to you, but the pearl beach shore excursion is gonna cost you $100 and give you 2-3 hours at the beach; completely unnecessary IMO. No, I wouldn't rent a car and go driving around Jamaica (which I did btw, turned out just find but wouldn't recommend it); but a taxi ride or walk to a nearby beach will be just fine. If you really want to take an excursion why not do dunns falls or something and save the beach day for a port you feel more comfortable with?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Review-g147312-d538092-Reviews-Ocho_Rios_Bay_Beach-Ocho_Rios_Saint_Ann_Parish_Jamaica.html

OP, what you and your daughter choose to do is completely up to you, but the pearl beach shore excursion is gonna cost you $100 and give you 2-3 hours at the beach; completely unnecessary IMO. No, I wouldn't rent a car and go driving around Jamaica (which I did btw, turned out just find but wouldn't recommend it); but a taxi ride or walk to a nearby beach will be just fine. If you really want to take an excursion why not do dunns falls or something and save the beach day for a port you feel more comfortable with?

Thank you, someone else also suggested this beach. I think we may do that. As for beach on another stop, my daughter is already set on doing the stingray/turtle farm in Grand Cayman. We have been to Cozumel many times and done several excursions already and planned to shop there. I did consider the Dunn River Falls excursion for Jamaica, but I don't do heights well so after reading about that and then the exit course nightmares I thought that probably isn't the best option. We have done a lot of the other things offered before at different stops so that is why we were looking at a beach there.

I agree to do just whatever makes you most comfortable. Would you be fine taking a taxi and picking a beach? Yeah, I feel confident saying that. But you do what you are comfortable with. If it were my wife and daughter alone, they would be doing only cruise line excursions in Jamaica. Your passport concern is a valid one.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We did Doctor's Cave beach in January. There were "taxis" (vans, really) at the port to go there, and plenty on the way back. It is a bit of a drive from the port. Of the three beaches we did, I liked this one best. We did Mr. Sanchos in Cozumel and near Calico Jack's in Grand Cayman. The food at Doctor's Cave is better than Mr. Sanchos and its not nearly as crowded. It is more expensive than the AI deal at Mr. Sanchos. It was $6 per person to get in, $6 per chair and $6 per umbrella so you were in for $30 just to get in. On Grand Cayman there were no waiters and we ended up with a walk to get a drink at Calico Jack's. There were guards at Doctor's Cave, but I don't recall if they were armed.