Bonaire

norwegianwood57

Perfect timing!!...I just ran across their business card. It is "Bonaire Vista Tours" owned by Brian & Barbel ...BonaireVistaTours.com I found them on Trip Advisor and they were well rated. We were in a van with about 8 other passengers from the ship. We booked the tour for 10 AM...easy walk to their outdoor booth to start the tour. Enjoy...and let me know what you think of the Cadusy liquor!!! :p LuAnn

Thank you kindly!

I had quite an email conversation with Eric, the Cadushy owner, and I'm looking forward to seeing the unusual operation. I will post about the tastings, for sure.

Tina

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Perfect timing!!...I just ran across their business card. It is "Bonaire Vista Tours" owned by Brian & Barbel ...BonaireVistaTours.com I found them on Trip Advisor and they were well rated. We were in a van with about 8 other passengers from the ship. We booked the tour for 10 AM...easy walk to their outdoor booth to start the tour. Enjoy...and let me know what you think of the Cadusy liquor!!! :p LuAnn

Anyone wanting an island tour without snorkelling and to get a full appreciation of all they are doing to protect their eco system should book up with Brian and Barbel. A delightful couple who really pay attention to looking after their guests. We had the most brilliant guide Edwin who is a professional photographer and so his guidance on where to take our pictures from meant our memories are so good now we look back on them.

I thought Bonaire would be an island I would visit and say that's that one ticked off how wrong I was I will welcome any cruise I am on returning to that beautiful island. I would add all the snorklers we met onboard absolutely raved about their experiences as well.

The OP probably went to the wrong beach but is now blaming the wrong person!

Not only did all the research recommend Sorobon but the Bonaire Tourist office did as well. We needed a combo of a great beach/snorkeling. Not all in our group snorkel.

Looks like I should take notes here from all the suggestions and not make a mistake again next year.

Sounds like I am eating crow. Yup, not a bad thing once in a while. LoL

I'll add another "beach/snorkel" option. The Plaza Hotel. Taxi there, and if you want, walk back to the ship. Hotel amenities, and a walk in snorkel opportunity. There are really no beautiful beaches on Bonaire if what you are looking for is something like Aruba. The coral rubble that is the beach is because of the coral reef that surrounds the island. Without the coral reef, the snorkeling/diving would not be as awesome.

This happens in varying degrees in the Caribbean islands, but most evident in Bonaire.

BRING WATER SHOES or book with Woodwind.:cool:

I guess the litter and cars reminded you of what find in any US or European city, eh!!!

Not sure what things are like in Port Arthur, Texas, but I've visited most European countries and can honestly say I've never seen lots of abandoned cars with vegetation growing out of them at the side of the street. Nor do we have anywhere near the amount of litter here as I saw in St Lucia. :)

Not only did all the research recommend Sorobon but the Bonaire Tourist office did as well. We needed a combo of a great beach/snorkeling. Not all in our group snorkel.

Looks like I should take notes here from all the suggestions and not make a mistake again next year.

Sounds like I am eating crow. Yup, not a bad thing once in a while. LoL

This has been a helpful thread for travel planning, and good on you norwegianwood57 for you willingness to rethink your opinion.

I was very disappointed when Celebrity cancelled Bonaire in 2016 on our itinerary. Well we got to go this year.

What a dump!!!

Yes, I researched for the best beach, snorkelling. I even wrote to their tourist board. All said, Sorobon beach is the place to be.

If you are looking for a nice beach, snorkelling, dont go there.

It was mostly roped off, very murcky water, lots of seaweed. Now maybe that is due to some storm that may have happened.

It is described as a full facility beach, but turned out to be very substandard.

What is good there is windsurfing. But I am not into that.

So Celebrity, you were right to cancel it last year, could you please cancel it again for 2018, we will be back to that itinerary and would be happy not to have Bonaire again.

Yes , different strokes for different folks. Now we will probably hear from those who thought it was the best port of all.

I did see one donkey, a lot of pink flamingos, all from the window of the taxi as we sped past.

We had a nice stop in Bonaire. I did snorkeling. Some nice fish but nothing out of the ordinary. Snorkeling was much better on St. Kitts at Cockle shell beach. Lots of Sea Urchins Star fish etc. The water clarity in Bonaire is tough to beat, however.

We stopped in Bonaire during our 2 week cruise on the Eclipse in January. We were not looking for diving or beaches. We took a walk into the flea market and shopping area. On the way, we passed some tour operators trying to sell their tours. The people were friendly and not pushy. The flea market had some very pretty craft jewelry and pretty paintings and note cards. I bought 2 necklaces made out of local nut shells and pretty flamingo note cards. We found the area where we walked clean and safe. There was also a cool restaurant out on a pier. A beautiful 300+ foot yacht, owned by Paul Allen, (Microsoft) was docked near our ship.

• 3 weeks later...
Definitely rethinking my opinion. Will look into the Plaza Hotel option. For a beach and a bit of snorkeling next year.

Thank you to all for your helpful ideas to get me to see the "error of my ways".

I finally figured out how to post pics here from my new photo site. These are my amateur photos right off the pier at the Plaza.

The stairs in:

ybLbL4Bv45-bvVMBk7YC12sSs0Cqgg_CKblVwZKfgdopX92IB?viewBox=316%2C237

oiNjItrZbfdVKW0zWln55EZKacyIDxcFfzTe91-C2h4pX92IB?viewBox=1920%2C1280

GcyqwJUtCQSyPZ991glwEMd4buuPyOrekZmvKOw0TUwpX92IB?viewBox=1920%2C1440