Urgent shareholder advice - Carnival

• 1 month later...
On 10/8/2019 at 8:52 PM, MicCanberra said:

Good luck. Price is now $40.91, the lowest it has been since November 2014.

Its tempting - still sitting at around $44 which is historically low. Am  I doing these figures right? 

Cost say $4500 for 100 shares 

Dividend say $200 

2 cruises OBC say $350 

So 550/4500 is 12% return (ignoring capital gain) I'm assuming the OBC is tax free? 

8 hours ago, lissie said:

Its tempting - still sitting at around $44 which is historically low. Am  I doing these figures right? 

Cost say $4500 for 100 shares 

Dividend say $200 

2 cruises OBC say $350 

So 550/4500 is 12% return (ignoring capital gain) I'm assuming the OBC is tax free? 

OBC could be in USD or AUD depending on where you cruise but apart from that your figures are good. We've been happy with our share purchase which we've had for about four years even though the current price is just a tad under what we paid. Still, shares go up and down all the time and we're not looking at selling them any time soon.

1 hour ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

OBC could be in USD or AUD depending on where you cruise but apart from that your figures are good. We've been happy with our share purchase which we've had for about four years even though the current price is just a tad under what we paid. Still, shares go up and down all the time and we're not looking at selling them any time soon.

I'm guessing it relates to the on board currency? WE're cuising Cunard out of Sydney but their on-board currency is US$ . If we cruised P&O Australia it would A$ ? 

I'm also wondering about this wording. They make the statement that OBC is available on cruises up to 31 July 2020 -and I read that this gets rollled over every at the AGM . But there is also this: 

Reservations must be made by February 28, 2020. 

So does that mean you can't book anything to get a discount from 1 Mar to 31 July.  We're doing our first cruise in late Feb - and  Iwouldn't book another one until we've done the first - does that mean we have to wait until 1 Aug? 

13 hours ago, lissie said:

I'm guessing it relates to the on board currency? WE're cuising Cunard out of Sydney but their on-board currency is US$ . If we cruised P&O Australia it would A$ ? 

I'm also wondering about this wording. They make the statement that OBC is available on cruises up to 31 July 2020 -and I read that this gets rollled over every at the AGM . But there is also this: 

Reservations must be made by February 28, 2020. 

So does that mean you can't book anything to get a discount from 1 Mar to 31 July.  We're doing our first cruise in late Feb - and  Iwouldn't book another one until we've done the first - does that mean we have to wait until 1 Aug? 

Yes, OBC depends on the onboard currency. 

Usually you can't apply for shareholder OBC until three months prior to your embarkation date. It has nothing to do with when you book the cruise. I have cruises booked up until May 2021 and will be applying for my shareholder OBC at the appropriate time for each cruise.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

Yes, OBC depends on the onboard currency. 

Usually you can't apply for shareholder OBC until three months prior to your embarkation date. It has nothing to do with when you book the cruise. I have cruises booked up until May 2021 and will be applying for my shareholder OBC at the appropriate time for each cruise.

Thanks was having a senior moment! My partner is very keen. I think we should wait until we've done a cruise and seen if we like it LOL!  Its a bit terrifying for a died-in-the-wool backpacker like me!   The shares do look like they are at a fairly low price point at the moment down about 22% this year - and the main issue seems to be fuel price. As a long-term hold and as money we can afford to lose its hard to argue with him!  

• 2 months later...
On 9/11/2019 at 9:29 PM, Relaxing Robbies said:

I bought 100 shares a couple of months ago. To avoid ongoing custody fees and inactivity fees I opened an account and purchased the shares through Stake (stake.com.au). There is no brokerage, they make their money from foreign exchange when you convert funds from AUD to USD so that you can purchase the shares. There was a $5 fee to cover the cost of completing the necessary US form. Account setup was completed in a day, and I transferred funds and purchased shares a few days later. The process was not difficult.

Thanks for the info on Stake. I am very curious and wondering if it is all worth while.

How has you "stake" account worked out.

I am curios about fees and banks fees for the dividend payment etc.

Do you actually own the shares in Carnival  or is "stake" holding them for you?

My understanding is the USA gov  has a with-holding tax on foreign owned share dividend and capital gain of 15% on NYSE shares. 

Did you consider buying the shares on the (London)LSE ?

Where I understand there is a .5% fee on purchase of shares but NO tax on dividend or capital gain.

Thanks for your advice.

On 10/6/2019 at 9:13 PM, RosieCanberra said:

I bought mine only a couple of months prior to claiming. I'd buy now, while the share price is so low. 

Can I ask which trading platform you use to buy Carnival shares given they're not listed on the ASX? I trade through commsec and I don't think they offer the purchase of those particular shares.

2 minutes ago, LittleFish1976 said:

Can I ask which trading platform you use to buy Carnival shares given they're not listed on the ASX? I trade through commsec and I don't think they offer the purchase of those particular shares.

Hi LittleFish, I use ANZ share trading, all done online. 

1 minute ago, RosieCanberra said:

Hi LittleFish, I use ANZ share trading, all done online. 

Thanks so much RosieCanberra! Sounds too easy! Are they US or UK stock exchange ones? (if that's not too personal). In the past I've thought this was all too hard but I'm just looking now at the shareholder advice page from Carnival and that on-board credit looks good. I'll check out the ANZ trading platform now, too. Is it a fuss banking a dividend cheque in a foreign currency?

Just now, LittleFish1976 said:

Thanks so much RosieCanberra! Sounds too easy! Are they US or UK stock exchange ones? (if that's not too personal). In the past I've thought this was all too hard but I'm just looking now at the shareholder advice page from Carnival and that on-board credit looks good. I'll check out the ANZ trading platform now, too. Is it a fuss banking a dividend cheque in a foreign currency?

It's the New York Stock Exchange. You open an account and your dividends are deposited directly into that account, in AUD. So no cheques.

Just now, LittleFish1976 said:

That sounds pretty fab. I have to admit that I'm trying to break up with the ANZ bank at the moment but their credit card travel insurance is wonderful!

We also rely on the ANZ Platinum travel insurance. 🙂 Even if you keep your credit card and, maybe buy shares, it doesn't mean you have to keep all your banking with ANZ.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Aus Traveller said:

We also rely on the ANZ Platinum travel insurance. 🙂 Even if you keep your credit card and, maybe buy shares, it doesn't mean you have to keep all your banking with ANZ.

Yes, absolutely. It's like changing internet providers though; you get into a rut and it's too easy to stay put.

36 minutes ago, LittleFish1976 said:

I opened an international trading account with Commsec to buy the Carnival shares. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RosieCanberra said:

It's the New York Stock Exchange. You open an account and your dividends are deposited directly into that account, in AUD. So no cheques.

Does anyone know if Comsec is the same, with NYSE Carnival shares having the dividend deposited straight into the Australian bank account in Australian dollars?