Chef's Table - Breeze > worth the extra $?

jvp1163

Hi - trying to get more details around Chef's Table on Breeze for upcoming Spring Break cruise....is the additional $95/person worth the additional spend? It seems that you don't find out when your party is invited to the dinner until 24 hours in advance, and you don't have input on day/time, etc.?

We haven't done this type of dining before - so looking to the CC experts for feedback!

TIA!

jvp - Breeze (3/12!) :)

I don't know why people are compelled to say what ship, chef's Table is the same fleet wide. Is it worth $95 to you? Yes, you will have invite in your cabin for 6-6:30 a few days in advance, but you know this prior to purchasing, so this should not be an issue. the food is excellent and the wine keeps on pouring all night. If you are a meat and potatoes person, don't waste your money. If you want a 6 course meal paired with wine, it's fabulous.

It's hard to explain how wonderful the Chef's Table is in words. We will do it any chance we can get in. Looking forward to it on the Vista in April. If you appreciate food that becomes art in presentation and creativity, and a very formal service experience, give it a try.

I have experienced it on the Breeze and have it booked again for my next cruise.

It is more like an excursion than a meal. The courses are artfully served and each one explained. The tour of the galley is fascinating. If you don't enjoy the first bite of a dish, don't eat it. By the time dessert rolls around you may be too full to enjoy it.

Our meal lasted well over three hours. Only you know if your children might enjoy it.

The menu has changed since last summer. It is currently the menu that rolled out on the Vista. You can download it from the Carnival Breeze website.

Happy sailing.

I agree with most everything but this "and a very formal service experience" We were really disappointed to be eating in the middle of the kitchen. We thought it was extremely tacky. The food, service and presentation were amazing.

As to kids, a 14 year old with a very good palate might enjoy the eclectic offerings. The 8 year old will not enjoy or have the patience for this dining and wine pairing experience.

I agree with most everything but this "and a very formal service experience" We were really disappointed to be eating in the middle of the kitchen. We thought it was extremely tacky. The food, service and presentation were amazing.

As to kids, a 14 year old with a very good palate might enjoy the eclectic offerings. The 8 year old will not enjoy or have the patience for this dining and wine pairing experience.

Traditionally, a "Chef's Table" is in the kitchen. On land or sea.

Our experience was on the Conquest in a very beautiful private dining room off of the main dining room. It was a very formal experience and each dish was set down simultaneously by several wait staff. We haven't done one that was in the galley and I know the Vista is, but in a glass room. It will be different I'm sure.

I don't think it's a good thing for children, they'd likely be very bored and probably won't like the food as it's non traditional. Try using the search option to find some sample menus, but salmon tartar and caviar were some of the appetizer offerings included.

Edited by SugarStar00

Traditionally, a "Chef's Table" is in the kitchen. On land or sea.

Where did you get this from? I googled Chef's Table and only came up with a movie and Carnival Cruise lines. Please give me a reference to Chef's Table and dinner being served in the kitchen?

On the Dream Class ships (Dream, Magic, and Breeze) the Chefs Table is held in the galley... On the Vista there is a dedicated room off to the side of the galley. On other Carnival ships, it is held in other various locations...

Where did you get this from? I googled Chef's Table and only came up with a movie and Carnival Cruise lines. Please give me a reference to Chef's Table and dinner being served in the kitchen?

http://www.restaurant.org/Manage-My-Restaurant/Marketing-Sales/In-Store-Experience/The-best-seat-in-the-house

http://m.wisegeek.com/what-is-a-chefs-table.htm

Chef's table on Princess

http://www.princess.com/ships-and-experience/food-and-dining/specialty-restaurants/chefs-table-info.html

Edited by AdrenalineRush

I've done several chef's table events on land, and they are often (not always) held in the kitchen. You're not eating at some cramped countertop in the corner, though, they usually set a beautiful table in the roomiest part of the kitchen. Once we sat in the passthru, which was like eating at a hightop bar, but quite elegant. You're getting a glimpse of the chef at his most creative, or something like that, so they go to some trouble to make it glam & fabulous.

I'm booked for Chef's Table on the Miracle next week, and it's one of the things I am most anticipating with pleasure.

It's considered a high honor to be served a meal by a chef in the kitchen. Not sure it's actually "called" anything though

Fantastic feedback!! Thanks so much to everyone who replied. We are in a group of 7 adults, 7 kids (ages 6-13) - we weren't considering bringing the kids - but it's helpful to know that this experience could last up to 3 hours - something to take into consideration!

One additional question - are these dinners on certain nights at a specific time - just 1 Chef's Table/day? I saw a reference to 6-6:30pm in a previous reply. We were just trying to determine if dinner is at that time, and it's a day we're in port - we'd have to come back earlier than planned to be ready/drop kids at camp, etc. :)

thank you, again!

BUMP! One more question on this topic - are these dinners on certain nights at a specific time - just 1 Chef's Table/day? I saw a reference to 6-6:30pm in a previous reply. We were just trying to determine if dinner is at that time, and it's a day we're in port - we'd have to come back earlier than planned to be ready/drop kids at camp, etc.

I just got back from the Magic last Sunday. We did ours Wed- which was Puerto Rico stop- back on ship by 4 pm and waiting to go into galley at 6:15pm.

I absolutely thought it was the best thing ever. And I'm quite the opposite- I LOVED being in the galley, in the middle of things, watching them meticulously prepare every dish was part of the experience of the whole thing.

Start with champagne and appetizers in side kitchen- presentation was breath-taking as was how well-orchestrated the service was form start to finish. Then to the table to be fawned over and captivated for the next three hours- table side magic show included!

Only bring kids (or adults) if they are NOT picky eaters. We had lamb and veal which turned some people off- they were served filet and shrimp at those courses.

We even had cotton candy wrapped katamata olives- it's a foodie dream date.

Got the tour of the galley so wear sensible non-slick shoes. Even got to see how to make the melting cake. Comes with professional photo too and the chef will autograph the photo and menu.

Loved it so much that I signed up for it again on the Breeze April 2nd. Can't wait!

Unfortunately can't get the menu to load. GRR

The Chef's Table experience does matter on what ship you do it on. We have done several and the food is amazing. The location, not so much.

Vista - it has it's own dedicated room for it.. amazing!

Dream - In the kitchen, loved it! Although the chef had to use a microphone because it was loud.

Triumph - In the Library. You don't have all the noise and action around you, but you do have people walking by looking and watching.

Elation - same the Triumph, but have more of a glass window looking into the dining room.

The menu changes every 2 years

Smaller ships/Shorter cruises usually have 1 night on a seaday

Bigger ships will have 2 or more nights

On the Vista 8 day cruise, they had 4 nights.

The price used to be $75/ person and they would give you a bill at the end to add tip if you would like. On the Vista is when I realized the price went up to $95 and they didn't give you a bill, just added it to your S&S account.

More great feedback - thank you, nancychic & nolaguy8! My sister requested the reservation - we would have a party of 7 adults. Another question - do you have the option to decline if it doesn't work for that day's schedule?