9:20a Flight Out Of Miami - Any chance?

kjwkjw

We're due into Miami at 7am tomorrow morning. If we self-disembark, is there any chance of making it to the airport ticket counter by about 8:30 or so? There's an earlier flight we'd love to catch.

Worst case, we miss it and just stay on our original flight. I'm just curious, as we haven't sailed to/from Miami before.

As it can take up to two hours before you are actually allowed to disembark and you need to be there at least an hour before the flight, I would say your chances are less than slim to none!

Personally, I wouldn't even TRY to catch a flight before 11am and I'd consider that pushing it! To even attempt to catch a 9:20am flight is nothing short of insanity!

As I'm reading this OP is booked on a later flight, but if they get to the airport at 8:30 they would like to move up to an earlier one. Nothing wrong with that plan. Yes, it's possible if you are lined up before 7. We went down 30+ minutes past when debarkation started and from getting in line to curbside was less than an hour. Can certainly be even less if you are at the very front.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

After nice and relaxing vacation - why would you stress yourself with so much rush???

Stress? Not sure why you think we'll be stressed. We either make it or we don't. And if we don't, we sit around the airport instead of sitting on the ship waiting to get off.

Stress? Not sure why you think we'll be stressed. We either make it or we don't. And if we don't, we sit around the airport instead of sitting on the ship waiting to get off.

I think it may be because the people who say you may be able to do this if you are right at the front of the queue for self-disembarkation mean that you would have to get up extremely early and it might end up being a complete waste of time.

I think it may be because the people who say you may be able to do this if you are right at the front of the queue for self-disembarkation mean that you would have to get up extremely early and it might end up being a complete waste of time.

I'd give it a shot since you already have a later fight booked. But you will have to get up real early to be off the ship in time. We did it once and ordered cold b'fast delivered around 10 p.m. night before so we could eat before we left...Of course if you don't make early flight you can have b'fast at the airport....but if you do it's peanuts and cheez-its for breakfast!! :D

You have a decent chance provided the ship arrives on time and is not delayed being cleared for debarkation. I have never tried to make a flight that early, but have ended up at the airport early enough for such a flight on some occasions I have self-disembarked. While I would advise against attempting to make a flight this early without a solid back up plan, since you already have a safer flight booked (and are trying to make the early flight on standby I presume) provided you are OK with being up early it is well worth attempting. The odds are more-likely-than-not of arriving to the airport early enough for the earlier flight.

After nice and relaxing vacation - why would you stress yourself with so much rush???

Exactly Isabella. Besides, I've not had the best experiences out of Miami in recent months, and would never chance a 9:20 flight.

I hope the OP considers a flight that departs around 12 Noon or later.

Hope this helps !

As it can take up to two hours before you are actually allowed to disembark and you need to be there at least an hour before the flight, I would say your chances are less than slim to none!

Personally, I wouldn't even TRY to catch a flight before 11am and I'd consider that pushing it! To even attempt to catch a 9:20am flight is nothing short of insanity!

Possible if you are willing to put in the effort. On our last cruise from FLL (don't try this in Miami) we checked in for our 10:00am flight the night before and printed our boarding passes in the computer center. We elected for self disembarkation. We walked off the ship with all our bags around 7:45 or so. We had pre reserved and prepaid for a taxi who was waiting for us right out front. Jumped in and a quick drive to the airport which is only 2.4 miles. Jumped out of the taxi in front of a curbside checkin desk that was open but nobody waiting. Ten minutes later we walked into the terminal. Now we have Pre TSA status so we zipped through an express line, no taking shoes or belts off etc. Sat down at our gate at 8:37 for a 9:36 boarding for a 10am departure.

If you were able to do all these things and got to your gate at 8:37 you would have plenty of time for a 9:20 flight which would start boarding at around 8:45 or so.

Keep in mind that if any of these things I mentioned doesn't happen you are stretching your luck. Hey, what have you got to lose?

We have done it....as long as you know if you miss it you have a backup....I would be on the self debarkation line by 6am...or an hour earlier then whatever time the cruise lines says to...we were in the first couple of people off....right thru...no lines....went outside and grabbed a taxi...at the gate around 8am....

I am sure the OP is aware of all the reasons not to do it but we for sure would give it a shot. First, someone said that it may be 2 hours before the first disembarkation. Never have had that happen on any cruise, and that included a dozen TAs ending in the US after spending a season abroad. Do walk-off, go there first thing to get to the head of the line, and go. Make the flight and there are seats, bravo. Don't make the flight and take your original booking and relax at the airport. No brainer for us.

The chances of making the flight also assume that there are seats available on the early flight. These days, that is not guaranteed.

That's a really good point!!! And OP is assuming that he will be allowed to purchase a ticket that close to departure....some airlines won't...and many of them won't let you check baggage with less than an hour before departure time either. I'm with Isabella.....what's the big rush to get home to all that mail, laundry, dusty furniture, no food and a cat that's in a real snit!!!

Exactly Isabella. Besides, I've not had the best experiences out of Miami in recent months, and would never chance a 9:20 flight.

I hope the OP considers a flight that departs around 12 Noon or later.

Hope this helps !

Hey Andy, good to see you posting here. If you read the OP's post, they have a later flight booked but are wondering if they can make it to the airport to catch an earlier flight. As others have said, worth a try as their back up plan is their original flight.

Now, for those folks who book a 9:20 flight and have no backup plan, well that's a whole other issue.

Like! Totally with you. I always try to get out asap and if I fail, oh well, there's the later flight. I've made an 8:50 am out of Miami and an 8:20 am out of Fort Lauderdale.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Thanks for this post. We are going to try to make a 9:10am flight from FLL next month (I have a later flight booked as a backup also). We'll be sure to get in the debark line early and hope we can jump in a car and get there quickly. Your answers make me feel better about my chances.

Sent from my KFGIWI using Tapatalk

Can you do a Luggage Direct on Celebrity in Miami? That way you wouldn't have to deal with checking in bags at the airport, you'd have your boarding pass in hand and could go directly to TSA screening and to the gate. m--

Controversial issue. Last I heard Luggage Valet was available only to Zenith members and suite guests. Others have said different things. Your best bet is to self disembark.

We drove from NC to Miami and back on our last X cruise, we were in line for self-disembarkation super early so we could get on the road and get home that night. I think we were waiting at like 6:30 AM ? We were about 5th in line, sure enough between 7-7:30 around oh 50 or so groups came around the corner were shocked at how many people were waiting and tried the old "we have a early flight can we please get in front of you" excuse/reason. The 1st couple that asked me I said "sure as long as you ask the other 100 people behind me too, if they all say yes you can get in front of us". My wife and I have a 2 PM flight after our next cruise, we will just hang out in the AMEX Lounge at the airport, lots of free food, high speed internet. I agree with some others why be all stressy on your last day ?

Go online to the website of the airline you're flying. Do a mock booking of that earlier flight and then click on "View Seats". You can see how many seats are available for that flight, and if there are some available, you can chance it. We recently returned from a cruise out of Miami and from that experience I know that a flight that early would be nearly impossible. I also know that our flight home that morning was overbooked by 19. Airlines seem to overbook their flights more than ever.