First cruise,thinking of the Fjords which smaller ship should we choose?

Flyingdaffodil

I would go on Viking because the ship is so new and also because of the inclusiveness. Did you know Viking Ocean Cruises was voted #1 in 10 out of 10 categories here on Cruise Critic for 2017? I think that would be an absolutely fabulous cruise - in fact, we're thinking of doing the fjords this summer as well. Hope you have a simply marvelous time!

I agree with small for the fjords- we've been once on a massive ship, which couldn't visit some of the smaller ports. We're going with Fred out of Newcastle for our next visit.

We know people who have enjoyed the new Viking ship; we also know plenty who are happy with Fred, although we haven't yet tried them. There will probably be a big difference in price, but also in luxury.

Enjoy seeking.

Fred Olsen is much cheaper and the ships are older. You might read the reviews here on Cruise Critic compared to the reviews of Viking Ocean. Comparing these two lines, Viking is a luxury line while Fred Olsen is more of a budget line. Viking attire is always resort casual. Fred Olsen still has formal nights and people do dress in black tie and gowns. I think you will have to choose based on budget and what you are looking for in a cruise ship.

As you are from Wales consider TUI Discovery as well for summer 2018. Sailing from Newcastle/Harwich. A bit larger than Fred Olsen and extensively refurbished. Dress code more relaxed, their formal nights are called dress to impress. Used to be known as Splendour of the Seas.

We did the fjords last summer on the 200 passenger Star Legend with Windstar. They have wonderful food, excellent low key service, open seating dining and probably among if not the largest standard staterooms in the industry.

You might want to check them out as well.

As you are from Wales consider TUI Discovery as well for summer 2018. Sailing from Newcastle/Harwich. A bit larger than Fred Olsen and extensively refurbished. Dress code more relaxed, their formal nights are called dress to impress. Used to be known as Splendour of the Seas.

The TUI Discovery has 1800 passengers. That is most definitely not a small ship. My definition of a small ship is 500 to maybe 1000 passengers max and preferably significantly less than 1000 passengers.

DON

Thankyou all for your interesting replies. After reading copious reviews we have booked a larger ship and we are going on the P&O Aurora. We loved the idea of Viking esp as it also went to St Petersburg but was far too expensive for us. The Aurora seems a happy in between. We are really exited to be going on our first cruise.

Thankyou all for your interesting replies. After reading copious reviews we have booked a larger ship and we are going on the P&O Aurora. We loved the idea of Viking esp as it also went to St Petersburg but was far too expensive for us. The Aurora seems a happy in between. We are really exited to be going on our first cruise.

Have a wonderful cruise! I'm sure P&O Aurora will be great!

She's a lovely ship, and a one-off, built for world cruising. We've sailed with her twice, and have been extremely happy on board. :)

Edited by jocap
old age