Malaria in Roatan?

day440

Malaria and Dengue Fever both are present on Roatan.

There are several threads on Trip Advisor Roatan Forum discussing taking preventive medication or not. These are people who are staying a week or more on the island.

I'm not aware of any spraying, I do know many resorts rake daily to keep the sand flea worry down. Ya might ask on the Trip Advisor forum, there are at least two locals posting who may know more about possible spraying.

Sent from my SM-G920T using Forums mobile app

Take a look at the wipes instead of the spray. They're like single baby wipes with the product on them. Deep Woods Off is made that way as are a couple of more. They're easy to pack and use. No overspray getting in your eyes or mouth (not to mention everyone else's). I got ours on Amazon.

check out the "blood donation" thread above. You used to be deferred from donating blood for 1 year.

If check out last page rules have changed. FDA states malaria not a concern unless spend more than 24 hrs in a malarial area and therefore can donate. I would conclude from that it is very unlikely to contract malaria on a port stop.

If I was spending a week there then a different story.

Also taking a malaria drug should not be taken lightly. There are side effects.

I spoke with the health department yesterday. They said if you are only going for the day (like for an excursion) bug repellent should be fine. If you are going to be staying in Roatan for several days, you should take the meds. She also suggested wearing long pants and a long sleeve shirt, if possible, to reduce the amount of exposed skin. Just FYI.