St Petersburg Russia.. Questions...Can u help? :)

Natasha708

This may not be read as it is now the end of April, but in any case here goes. Is there something particular you are looking for in St. Petersburg? We'll be there in late May and one of our ALLA Tour stops is on Nevsky prospekt, the street that is described as THE shopping street in St Petersburg. From what I've read there's everything on this street to purchase from soup to nuts.

We're not big shoppers when we travel, but just for kicks, I did a 5 minute search on the internet and found sites for some retailers mentioned as being on Nevsky prospekt; I assume you can purchase merchandise on the sites. This isn't as "authentic" as shopping in the actual store, but it is an option. Note that US Customs (and maybe Russian Customs) may have something to say about what you can have shipped, so do some research.

The earlier post about a not-so-nice experience on a tour by one of the "major" tour operators in St Petersburg is the first such report I've ever heard. For whatever that's worth.

Book a tour on one with one of the tour companies noted. As suggested by others on this thread, request some additional "shopping time", I suspect your request will be honored in some way. Enjoy St Petersburg.

Edited by visibilityunlimited
improve punctuataion

Being from Florida I'm not certain if they are fur or not , but my Michigander wife thought that they are rabbit . And I think that we forgot to mention that she bought 3 for $ 33 dollars at the cruise terminal in St. Petersburg .

Thats awesome! We are in MN, so need the warmth for sure.

Also, another question please. What time of year were you there? We're going on a Baltic Cruise leaving Amsteram on the 19th of May, so we'll be in St Petersburg/Moscow towards the end of May. I am wanting to bring a rain coat, but not sure if I'll need something more substantial?

Being from MN, cold means something different for us, but dont want to have to lug a bigger coat over there if a rain coat might suffice?

Thanks for your great photos, I am still going through your other big picture post as we speak! Love it :-)

Being from Florida I'm not certain if they are fur or not , but my Michigander wife thought that they are rabbit . And I think that we forgot to mention that she bought 3 for $ 33 dollars at the cruise terminal in St. Petersburg .

Thats awesome! We are in MN, so need the warmth for sure.

Also, another question please. What time of year were you there? We're going on a Baltic Cruise leaving Amsteram on the 19th of May, so we'll be in St Petersburg/Moscow towards the end of May. I am wanting to bring a rain coat, but not sure if I'll need something more substantial?

Being from MN, cold means something different for us, but dont want to have to lug a bigger coat over there if a rain coat might suffice?

Thanks for your great photos, I am still going through your other big picture post as we speak! Love it :-)

We were there May 8 th 2015 for 10 days and took the Sapsan to Moscow to visit some people who we met on a cruise in South America .

Last year the Baltic cruise was from June 5th to the 19th . We did have cold and rainy weather in Tallin the day before SPB , and all 3 days in SPB . We bought our grandson a scarf at a flea market/mall that your husband would really like that sold cheap military stuff also . It's called Sadamarket and it's on the way to and from old town .

Last year when we were in SPB we noticed that the Russian ladies still had their fur and boots on , so we did feel so bad that we were the only ones feeling the cold . But if it is sunny when you go , it can get warm with crowds and many places don't have A/C .

My wife did buy a nice fur hat at Gostiny Dvor , a huge Mall on Nevsky Prospekt in 2015 .

IMG_0065_zpsxvfb9odm.jpg

IMG_0067_zpsppsqauum.jpg

Here's the hat in our apartment window in SPB . It's going with us on a cruise to Alaska on Saturday . We can't wait !

DSC03398_zps83zmn0qp.jpg

Here's the hat in our apartment window in SPB . It's going with us on a cruise to Alaska on Saturday . We can't wait !

I love the hat! It will be right at home in Alaska :-) Have a great time!

So, just bring my rain coat and I should be ok then?

Its going to be great no matter what the weather, I'd rather be cold then wet for sure.

Say, I went back and looked at the daily's you shared, I see they had a cool Russian dance thing at night, it was the 2nd night right? We're doing the 3 day and on day 2 we'll be in Moscow so I am sure we arent getting back till close to midnight. I was hoping to see some sort of Russian dance type thing but maybe not.

Others on our roll call are thinking of going to the ballet, but I think we'll be just wiped out and maybe too much for those couple days..

Did you ever go to the ballet?

May I ask how you obtained rubles? Are the ATM's close by? I can see a large hat box will be required for all my hat purchases for friends and rellies. Going this July. Now I'm going to devour your trip report scubacruiser2.

I love the hat! It will be right at home in Alaska :-) Have a great time!

So, just bring my rain coat and I should be ok then?

Its going to be great no matter what the weather, I'd rather be cold then wet for sure.

Say, I went back and looked at the daily's you shared, I see they had a cool Russian dance thing at night, it was the 2nd night right? We're doing the 3 day and on day 2 we'll be in Moscow so I am sure we arent getting back till close to midnight. I was hoping to see some sort of Russian dance type thing but maybe not.

Others on our roll call are thinking of going to the ballet, but I think we'll be just wiped out and maybe too much for those couple days..

Did you ever go to the ballet?

Here we are in the Metro with our guide wearing what we consider to be typical clothing to blend in . Dark jackets for men , bright scarfs for the ladies which they will use to cover their hair if you do go into an orthodox church ( no photos please ! ) . I wore fleece under a layered rain coat and hats and umbrellas in the rain . Because you will be inside a lot , and you will be in a car or bus , a winter jacket will not be needed . However , when we stay there we walk a lot and wear warmer jackets .

DSC06284_zpskbbz7u9q.jpg

May I ask how you obtained rubles? Are the ATM's close by? I can see a large hat box will be required for all my hat purchases for friends and rellies. Going this July. Now I'm going to devour your trip report scubacruiser2.

Dollars and Euros are widely accepted . If you want Rubles however, we ordered them , Euros and British Pounds from our bank before we left the US . There are also ATMs in the terminal , and throughout many of the tourist areas , but most of the locals prefer new , unwrinkled dollars .