Seward and Anchorage Questions

April2412

A few questions - please help me out with any answers or recommendations that you can. Thanks in advance :)

We are going to be flying into Anchorage a few days before our cruise and I am deciding if we want to stay in Anchorage or Seward. Here are my questions:

What are the "must do" and "must see" things in Anchorage?

Is it worth staying in Anchorage? Or should we go directly to Seward?

What are the "must do" and "must see" things in Seward?

What is the best way to get from Anchorage to Seward?

A few questions - please help me out with any answers or recommendations that you can. Thanks in advance :)

We are going to be flying into Anchorage a few days before our cruise and I am deciding if we want to stay in Anchorage or Seward. Here are my questions:

What are the "must do" and "must see" things in Anchorage?

Is it worth staying in Anchorage? Or should we go directly to Seward?

What are the "must do" and "must see" things in Seward?

What is the best way to get from Anchorage to Seward?

I personally would spend as little time in Anchorage as possible. The more days you have, the more you can do. Are you willing to rent a car?

We would rent a car if that sounds like the best way but would prefer not to. From what I am reading Anchorage doesn't sound all that exciting.

In my opinion, renting a car is the best way to make an Alaska road trip happen. It give you more flexibility and options. Public transportation is incredibly limited.

It's not that Anchorage isn't exciting... Its that it's surrounded by an Alaska that is much more exciting.

How many days do you have? How many in your group? Ages? Any specific interests? Any limitations?

We went to Independence Mine State Park, went to Moose's Tooth pizza, walked downtown, also went to the Alaska Wildlife Center all from Anchorage.

Seward has Kenai Fords National Park, Exit Glacier, and the Sealife Center.

Check out my review from last June for pictures and ideas. http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2376089

You really need to narrow things down a bit. A must do for you might not be a must do for someone else.

There’s a lot to do in Anchorage like the museum, Alaska Native Heritage Center, Trolley Tour, Segway, Zoo, sightseeing flights that include Denali.

Driving in Alaska is pretty easy, mainly just two-lane highways. More of a country road in many places. Renting a car would really open up many more options. The drive south towards Seward from Anchorage is incredibly scenic and there is a ton of stuff to do along the way. Things along the way are Girdwood/Alyeska/Tram, Spencer Glacier, Portage Glacier, Byron Glacier, Begich Boggs Visitor Center, Alaska Wildlife Conservation Center to name a few.

I agree with AKStafford, the real Alaska isn’t in Anchorage and I'd get out of town.

This is a good site to help researching the area.

https://www.anchorage.net/

Matanuska Glacier is a 2 hour drive north. It’s one of the most easily accessible glaciers in Alaska. From the parking lot you’re on the glacier in 10-15 minutes.

There is no "must do" list. What, instead you are going to find, is people enjoy the varied touring this area has to offer. You really need to dig deeper in finding out the various activities to consider. http://www.anchorage.net http://www.seward.com http://www.alaskavisit.com

A car is "necessary" in my opinion and certainly will offer you way more to consider. As already mentioned the Ma Su has a day's worth of activities, Hatcher Pass, Matansuka Glacier ice trekking- guided etc

Anchorage does have attractions, and don't overlook the Arm, Girdwood, Portage, Whittier. I've spent days in Seward, with plenty activities every day.

I think the 'must do' varies by person and what they are interested in and any limitations they have. I love wildlife and scenery but due to physical limitations, I cannot partake in more strenuous activities - hikes, trails etc. The same is said of my travel companion. I have been to Alaska once and am returning next year, so I am by no means an expert, however, I am happy to tell you what we did and what we plan to do and hope it gives you an idea or two.

The first time we went, we hired a car from Hertz for a one-way rental. This was an excellent choice and one we will repeat next year. The flexibility it offers is of such worth to us - the ability to stop where we want and alter our plans as necessary. Last time, we landed in Anchorage early afternoon and our ship left the next day. We were already tired so drove the Seward Highway, stopping at many different areas for photographs and such. Our main stop was the Alaska Wildlife Conservation Center. We then drove straight to Seward and didn't really have the time or energy for much else before boarding the ship and we feel we missed out.

Next year, we will arrive into Anchorage (hopefully) around lunchtime. We are planning our first stop at Potters Marsh Bird Sanctuary. We will also stop at various pullouts along the way. From there we are going back to the Alaska Wildlife Conservation Center before doubling back and staying overnight in Girdwood and going on the Mount Alyeska Tram. The following day we will set out early and go to Portage Lake and do the one hour Portage Glacier cruise. From there we will head down to Seward. Depending on timings and energy levels, we might go to Alaska Sealife Center that afternoon. We are planning on having 2 nights in Seward. The next day we are planning on doing a Kenai Fjords cruise. On the day our cruise starts, if we haven't managed to get to the Sealife Center on the first afternoon in Seward, we will go there first, drop the car back to Hertz and then board the cruise ship.

Would this suit everyone? Definitely not. Does it suit us? Absolutely! We are seeing what we want to see, in a way that is suitable for us and that really is the most important thing.

Planning is great fun :)

As you didn't mention when you are going one piece of advice I might mention is if it is during the summer months, reserve your rental car early.They seem to disappear fast!

Completely agree with this!

I have already got the car booked and I haven't even booked the cruise yet :')

You didn't say how long you had before the cruise. For me Denali is a "must do", but you need three days just for that. So I'm guessing you won't have time for that. So my next "must do" would be the Matanuska Glacier. Plan a full day for that. Another "must do" for me is a Prince William Sound glacier cruise out of Whittier. If you don't have the time or money for that, the Portage Lake Glacier Cruise is a nice budget item. The Alaska Wildlife Conservation Center and the tram at Alyeska fit in nicely here too.