CHEAPEST possible Saint Petersburg excursion under Visa Free Rule

ucfchuck

... OP ... you mentioned you purchased ballet tix yourself. May I ask how you went about this? ... Alla said they will do an evening transfer-only option to a ballet of our choice for $45pp if we book tix ourselves but the websites for booking tix are not very user friendly. I figure the price will be a little less but even if it works out to the same we will at least be able to book a ballet and theatre of our choice. We would actually prefer Swan Lake over MSND as it is a quintessentially Russian ballet but you got the Mariinsky which is the premiere venue in the city so you did well! We would also be happy with the Alexandrinsky, the Mikhailovsky, or the Hermitage Theatre.

You don't mention that web site you used, but here's the English FAQ for the Mariinsky box office:

https://tickets.mariinsky.ru/en/questions/

The web site doesn't show a fully the calendar beyond May. Nothing much is entered for June -- July. I don't know whether this is because the Mariinsky doesn't load far in advance or not much is scheduled in that venue.

Here's the link to the online box office in English: https://www.mariinsky.ru/en/playbill/playbill

At the bottom of that page, there are links to future months. If you were to visit either Tuesday, May 30 or Wednesday, May 31, you would hit the jackpot: Swan Lake in the historic Mariinsky Theater at 7:00 PM. (Mariinsky II will be super comfortable, with good sight lines and acoustics, but it is a modern theater.)

For each performance, there's an icon which says buy tickets. Click on that and you'll see a diagram of the Mariinsky theater. Sold seats are in blue and available seats are in yellow. If you hover your cursor over a seat you'd like to buy, you'll be shown the seat's row/number and the price in roubles.

If you click to make a purchase, you'll first have to log in. That's why I began this post with the link to the FAQ. You'll want to get logged in before you get started so you can complete your purchase.

Advice: Since you know you'll need to make your purchase online in roubles, don't try to buy your tickets until you've called your credit card company. Tell them you're about to buy something online in a foreign currency from the box office of the ??? Theater. If you alert them about this transaction, the purchase ought to get approved. If you surprise them with purchase in roubles and all your recent activity has been in your home town, the bank will block your purchase.

Good luck.

You don't mention that web site you used, but here's the English FAQ for the Mariinsky box office:

https://tickets.mariinsky.ru/en/questions/

The web site doesn't show a fully the calendar beyond May. Nothing much is entered for June -- July. I don't know whether this is because the Mariinsky doesn't load far in advance or not much is scheduled in that venue.

Here's the link to the online box office in English: https://www.mariinsky.ru/en/playbill/playbill

At the bottom of that page, there are links to future months. If you were to visit either Tuesday, May 30 or Wednesday, May 31, you would hit the jackpot: Swan Lake in the historic Mariinsky Theater at 7:00 PM. (Mariinsky II will be super comfortable, with good sight lines and acoustics, but it is a modern theater.)

For each performance, there's an icon which says buy tickets. Click on that and you'll see a diagram of the Mariinsky theater. Sold seats are in blue and available seats are in yellow. If you hover your cursor over a seat you'd like to buy, you'll be shown the seat's row/number and the price in roubles.

If you click to make a purchase, you'll first have to log in. That's why I began this post with the link to the FAQ. You'll want to get logged in before you get started so you can complete your purchase.

Advice: Since you know you'll need to make your purchase online in roubles, don't try to buy your tickets until you've called your credit card company. Tell them you're about to buy something online in a foreign currency from the box office of the ??? Theater. If you alert them about this transaction, the purchase ought to get approved. If you surprise them with purchase in roubles and all your recent activity has been in your home town, the bank will block your purchase.

Good luck.

Thank you for the reply!! When I did a Google search for Russian ballet tickets the following site kept appearing: https://russianbroadway.com/playbill ... The ticket prices look extremely inflated, in fact more than the tour companies charge, so I was really confused. Of course it would make sense to check the actual theatre websites. I can't believe I didn't think of that. Thanks for pointing me in the right direction. As you said, the Mariinsky does not have anything listed for June 14th yet. The Mikhailovsky is doing Don Quixote [with decent seats at 3500RUB *about $59USD* [compared to $95 EUR on the previously mentioned site!] that night though and whilst DH and I have seen it at Boston Ballet, we really liked it so perhaps it will be worthwhile to see again if Swan Lake isn't playing anywhere that night. Thanks again!

Thank you for the reply!! When I did a Google search for Russian ballet tickets the following site kept appearing: https://russianbroadway.com/playbill ... The ticket prices look extremely inflated, in fact more than the tour companies charge, so I was really confused. Of course it would make sense to check the actual theatre websites. I can't believe I didn't think of that. Thanks for pointing me in the right direction. As you said, the Mariinsky does not have anything listed for June 14th yet. The Mikhailovsky is doing Don Quixote [with decent seats at 3500RUB *about $59USD* [compared to $95 EUR on the previously mentioned site!] that night though and whilst DH and I have seen it at Boston Ballet, we really liked it so perhaps it will be worthwhile to see again if Swan Lake isn't playing anywhere that night. Thanks again!

I followed your link, used your June 14 date and discovered that Swan Lake is available on the night you want. It's playing at both the Hermitage and the Alexandrinsky Theatres. (Both at 8:00 PM)

The version at the Alexandrinsky is an edited version with a running time of 2 hours and one intermission. The version at the Hermitage is probably closer to the original with a running time of 2 1/2 hours and two intermissions. We attended the Alexandrinsky theatre; it is gorgeous, every visitor's fantasy of what a Romanov-era theater should look like. The Hermitage is far from plain, but it doesn't reach the heights of the Alexandrinsky. In fact, I like the appearance of the Alexandrinsky even better than the Mariinsky, although the dancing will be better at the Mariinsky assuming the regular company is dancing. (Ten years ago, the dancing at the Alexandrinsky was mediocre, but the Russians may have gotten more tourist savvy and upped the quality of the performances.)

Both versions probably include the Soviet ending rather than the original ending. Since the Mariinsky dances Swan Lake with the Soviet ending when it tours internationally, I can't imagine they'll do anything else in their home city.

• 1 year later...

It is my understanding from several sources that you must at all times be accompanied by a guide from an official tourism agency if you are to be off ship at all without a formal tourist visa. (Possible exception is for a performance, where the guide could drop you off and meet you at the end of the performance).

Otherwise, you would not be allowed off the ship.

So my question is, for anyone who plans to independently attend a performance, did you find a travel agency that would provide you with a driver just to accommodate your attendance at the performance, and what did it cost you?

To the OP. I understand where you are coming from. When we travel, we also try to save money wherever possible. My DW has always had the theory of just get us on a ship, and never worry about all the other frills. We try and tour on our own whenever possible and if we can save on tours, we go for it. Now that I've said that, there are times when, if you feel you may never return to a place, REALLY. do not try and cheat yourself out of fully enjoying it. If just doing a sightseeing drive by is OK for you, then by all means do that. But, in reality, you really need to get off the bus and experience many of the things St Petersburg, (and other cities) have to offer. Seeing Peterhoff, Catherine's Palace, the Hermitage, Church of Peter and Paul and so many other sites just by driving by, sorry, but you really will be missing the experience.

Again, I'm not trying to lecture you, but when we did our Baltic cruise,. paying $300 a day for each of us WAS an expense, but we do not regret one penny of it. We did all the other ports on our own so we saved a bundle doing it that way. Even if you have to go over your budget a bit, go for it. You will not be sorry. Please don't try and see this wonderful city on the cheap.

Cheers

Len

I agree. That's the best strategy to follow.

Also check my spreadsheet to compare some of the tours offered by top local companies. They cover all major attractions, and some of them should be within your budget. The URL is

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B7qPbaGB1wZ9LWFhektxV0w5UFVzaEdnU3dJd0tnSFh5S3hB/view?usp=sharing

Thank you so much for putting this together. Excellent information and I'm sure a lot of time and effort went into it.

Is it OK if I share the link on my Roll Call?

Thanks for this advice and I certainly have perused the wonderful spreadsheet. It's a bit outdated in prices, but an excellent resource. I wholeheartedly recommend to anyone who hasn't been to StP before and may not go again to take full advantage of everything and basically sightsee until you drop! (which you might!)

But you misunderstand. We've been to St P at least 13 times and have seen everything (long before they started gouging, and also since). Just want to get off the ship and see friends and perhaps the one or two sites whose renovations have been completed since last visit. The cost of tourist visas for 4 is pretty steep, so was hoping that this "visa free" option might be more reasonable. But not if we have to have a "tender". And from what I can see, the price is about the same. If you go 'visa free" you are only allowed off the ship for the exact hours of your tours, and with the exception of one company that offered us a car and driver for $60/hr/pp, you have to have a guide with you every step of the way except possibly while you're attending a performance.

Interestingly, it seems if you come on a ferry and book a bus ticket and hotel, you can do everything you want on your own. But they seem to have a (cooperative and) captive market in cruise pax, and obviously they're taking maximum advantage.

Thanks for your thoughts everyone. So, it sounds like an independent tour company is our best option. I will look to see if there is one that is especially promising!

Edit: Specific question for Lovetotrrravel: The $199 2 day tours with either Best Guides/Insider Tours looks like winners as well as the abbreviated 2 day tour with SPB that is apparently 180 if you mention CC. Now, I will ask this though. It says Y/N for Spilt Blood. Does that mean that you might not go there, or that you have the option to not go there? Just curious.

Last, I would also be curious, since most people are talking about a two day tour, if there are any comprehensive one day tours offered (like 8-9 hours) independently, that can be had for like $120 or so. Granted, Two Days may still be very worth it, but I want to know just in case we decide to just relax on ship on the second day in town. Thanks.

Almost everyone would recommend against staying on the ship for day two in St. Petersburg. Better to skip Helsinki or Tallinn (both great cities). Personally I also hate tours in cities and find them frustrating yet they are for most people by far the best option in St. Petersburg.

I think $120 or so is the cheapest you could do the visa including the cost of an "invitation" and that would be if you do it yourself. After that you will still have entry fees and the like but if you mostly want to wander around and see the sights it is an option you could consider. Personally the architecture and ambiance is the highlight more than what is inside the museums and churches. The Hermitage is of course a must see even if you don't like museums.

Thanks for this advice and I certainly have perused the wonderful spreadsheet. It's a bit outdated in prices, but an excellent resource. I wholeheartedly recommend to anyone who hasn't been to StP before and may not go again to take full advantage of everything and basically sightsee until you drop! (which you might!)

But you misunderstand. We've been to St P at least 13 times and have seen everything (long before they started gouging, and also since). Just want to get off the ship and see friends and perhaps the one or two sites whose renovations have been completed since last visit. The cost of tourist visas for 4 is pretty steep, so was hoping that this "visa free" option might be more reasonable. But not if we have to have a "tender". And from what I can see, the price is about the same. If you go 'visa free" you are only allowed off the ship for the exact hours of your tours, and with the exception of one company that offered us a car and driver for $60/hr/pp, you have to have a guide with you every step of the way except possibly while you're attending a performance.

Interestingly, it seems if you come on a ferry and book a bus ticket and hotel, you can do everything you want on your own. But they seem to have a (cooperative and) captive market in cruise pax, and obviously they're taking maximum advantage.

I have also visited Russia multiple times but I have a visa.

$60pp an hour is quite steep - for 4, it would be $240 an hour (ouch)! It seems that in your particular case, a visa would be the best option although I would think that you could find an independent company that would offer a car/driver (with requisite "visa waiver") for less than $60pp (you may have to shop around - the top rated companies will be quite busy and probably won't have cars/drivers available to accommodate your needs).

Your other option would be to book the St. Peter Line ferry.

It is my understanding from several sources that you must at all times be accompanied by a guide from an official tourism agency if you are to be off ship at all without a formal tourist visa. (Possible exception is for a performance, where the guide could drop you off and meet you at the end of the performance).

Otherwise, you would not be allowed off the ship.

So my question is, for anyone who plans to independently attend a performance, did you find a travel agency that would provide you with a driver just to accommodate your attendance at the performance, and what did it cost you?

Your first paragraph states the common wisdom, a point of view which I share. However, some time within the past year, this board was flooded with posts about some ship's excursions and some private licensed companies that were willing to offer visa-free entry to ST Petersburg but allowed the cruisers to travel about the city independently.

Count me among the group that was flummoxed by this news. As it turned out, there were many, many ways to legally have about four hours classic independent travel in a city that supposedly prohibits this. The search feature within this site isn't very good, but see if you can do a Google search and come up with the thread and the information I recall. Maybe others from that time will remember more details of this thread.

I recall that some of these arrangements had the words Nevsky Prospekt in the tour name, suggesting that the expectation was that people would simply stroll independently along the main street. But three of four hours is enough time to go other places on your own.

Edited by Pet Nit Noy

When we went 3 years ago, we had an all day tour with TJ, and dinner at the end of the day. At that point, the guide left us at the restaurant while the driver sat outside. We got in the van at the end of dinner and he brought us back to the ship. Our guide did give us the option of her staying with us, but we declined.

Your first paragraph states the common wisdom, a point of view which I share. However, some time within the past year, this board was flooded with posts about some ship's excursions and some private licensed companies that were willing to offer visa-free entry to ST Petersburg but allowed the cruisers to travel about the city independently.

Count me among the group that was flummoxed by this news. As it turned out, there were many, many ways to legally have about four hours classic independent travel in a city that supposedly prohibits this. The search feature within this site isn't very good, but see if you can do a Google search and come up with the thread and the information I recall. Maybe others from that time will remember more details of this thread.

I recall that some of these arrangements had the words Nevsky Prospekt in the tour name, suggesting that the expectation was that people would simply stroll independently along the main street. But three of four hours is enough time to go other places on your own.

Yes, I too noticed some of those threads (more than one) about some tours, both ship-sponsored and with local tour operators, which effectively gave folk 3 or 4 hours free time in St Petersburg. Yes, Nevsky Prospekt (the main shopping street) seemed to be at the centre of it.

I think the answer is that there are rules - and there are different interpretations of those rules. ;)

Some operators stick hard-and-fast to the rules and others have a much looser interpretation. And who knows whether the Russian authorities turn a blind eye to some operators but not to others.

So it pays to shop around the local operators, and don't forget to check out what freedom is mentioned in ship's offerings.

That said, at least for first-timers in St Petersburg, IMHO you'll get along much better staying within range of your guide.

One of the few places in the world where that'd be my recommendation.

JB :)

We have been looking into St Petersberg from a cruise ship as a return visit after spending time on a river cruise to Moscow and two hotel nights in each of Moscow and St Petersberg.

The prices asked by the tour companies for cruise ship passengers is ridiculous compared to how easy and cheap it is to get around the city using the metro and staying in a hotel. Entrance costs are not that much either. Hence, we have decided that for any return visit we would get a visa and go off on our own, possibly staying in a hotel for the overnight if a taxi from/to the port is a rip off. The visa system is actually more difficult for Brits than others as the UK are harder on the Russians if they want visas. It is, however not unsurmountable and costed £130 pp for us at the beginning of this year. We are at an advantage as we have already done the work to gather the info required and have saved that detail, as putting different details for a second visa would cause problems. Do not know if multi entry from a cruise ship would make it more difficult, but if so a hotel would easily sort that. I would also visit off season, it was not too bad at the start of May, but things said about the summer season sounds horrendous.

As I understand it people going to St Petersberg on a ferry can go into the city visa free for a certain time visa free (?2-3 days), so is something else we will look into, but chances are getting to/from somewhere like Helsinki and using one of their ferries would cost a lot anyway.

If someone wants to see St Petersburg particularly, I would strongly recommend staying there for a week slightly off season, rather than paying the stupid cruise tour prices (even run by Russian companies) and also be herded round, either in large groups or even on an independent tour.

Having been there on a land stay, dogs4fun is the only person making any sense on this forum from my point of view, though I can see that if people have travelled from distant parts of the world and have limited time, they may well prefer to do the whistle stop tours from a cruise ship.

Edited by tring

some time within the past year, this board was flooded with posts about some ship's excursions and some private licensed companies that were willing to offer visa-free entry to ST Petersburg but allowed the cruisers to travel about the city independently. ]

Yes, you are right there are a few tours that let you out on Nevsky Prospekt and a guide would not possibly be able to keep up with everyone this way. So basically, the self serving law that says the guide must be with you at all times is routinely ignored when convenient, but they have to say it, so it looks as if they are complying. I think the hours restrictions would still apply, you just have a few hours "free". But unless you pay for an all day tour and an additional night tour, you have to be back at customs with your guide when the first day's tour is over.

The prices on the spreadsheet are 2017 prices and everything has gone up. The cheapest full day tour I could come up with was about $210 for adults and $180 for children on a ridiculous itinerary.

So we went with the tourist visa. It is NOT cheap: $300 Canadian per person plus the pain of putting together the application form (which is ridiculously extensive), getting photos, and the angst of being without a passport while they process it (went directly through consulate). But even that is far less than what the cruise line's recommended visa service wanted for the same service.

And, we will get to see our old friends and places, which is why we chose this cruise in the first place.

Glad to see such good discussions on this list. St P is unparalleled, one of the most beautiful cities in the world and one of our very most favorite; but it is complicated to negotiate the rules. Almost more so now than when we started going in 1989....and CERTAINLY needlessly difficult when visiting from a cruise ship. Had we not planned and paid for this long ago, we would probably go with the ferry and save a bundle!

How much are you spending to get to St Petersburg? To skimp on a tour in this amazing city would be a "penny wise pound foolish decision." The Palaces, Peter the Great, Catherine the Great, etc and some of the churches are the reason to go there. To not see these, might was well stay on the ship. We used TJ Travel, was about $260 per person. 2 very full days and included trips out of the city to the above mentioned Palaces. Early admission to some sights, like the

Hermitage are worth taking tours for. You would see huge lines snaking around the block waiting for 'regular' entry. We just walked in with our small tour group. Guides can tell you more than you could ever learn. They did this while avoiding any politics.

While I would recommend TJ Travel they also give a 5% discount to CC members. Alla and SPB are also considered very good. Pay the extra money and enjoy this most amazing city and people.

How much are you spending to get to St Petersburg? To skimp on a tour in this amazing city would be a "penny wise pound foolish decision."

I of course agree with this observation if, unlike us, you haven't seen it all before.

There are only a few new things that have completed renovations since our last trip there, and we want to spend time with dear friends NOT by illegally skipping out on a tour, or cramping it into stroll allowance on Nevsky Prospekt.

I was simply trying to figure out if there was a way to do this and save money over an unestricted visa using the "visa free" excursion prices, and if you are on a cruise ship, there is not. Next time, we will take a ferry and have 2 to 3 full free days!

Incidentally, for anyone who is thinking of scheduling a longer return trip that includes more than 3 business days, in addition to the tourist visa you have to spend a half a day "registering" your tourist visa at a police station. If you escape from there without having to pay a bribe, you are lucky. If you are there for less than 3 business days (e.g. over a weekend), off duty but uniformed police will likely accost you at the airport, demand to see your passport, claim that the law says "3 days" and demand a bribe. Just ignore them, and walk on. Or tell them in Russian you know the law says "tree bizness dinya" and THEN walk on. They'll go on to the next marks.

Incidentally, for anyone who is thinking of scheduling a longer return trip that includes more than 3 business days, in addition to the tourist visa you have to spend a half a day "registering" your tourist visa at a police station. If you escape from there without having to pay a bribe, you are lucky. If you are there for less than 3 business days (e.g. over a weekend), off duty but uniformed police will likely accost you at the airport, demand to see your passport, claim that the law says "3 days" and demand a bribe. Just ignore them, and walk on. Or tell them in Russian you know the law says "tree bizness dinya" and THEN walk on. They'll go on to the next marks.

Prior to 2011 you had to register your visa within 72 hours (business) of arrival. The rules for registration have since changed - you now have 7 (business) days to register your visa.

If you are staying at a hotel, the hotel completes the visa registration - no need for you to go to the police station (or post office).

I have never been accosted at Pulkovo or Sheremetyevo - the process is always painless upon departure - I just show my registration document along with passport.

There are different registration rules for cities hosting the World Cup this year (applicable May 25-July 25 only).

Edited by dogs4fun

There have been previous comments about tours that let people have a fair bit of time independently in St Petersburg.

We have now booked a P&O Baltic cruise for August 2019. Although the tours are not on sale yet, looking at details of the cruise we have booked on the P&O website, I was able to access details of a lot of tours that they have previously offered in SPB, though prices are not available.

In that list of tours there is one called "St Petersburg Explorer", which is a 7.75 hour outing that allows about six hours of independent time, spread between three locations. For those who may have an interest in reading the details of that tour, they can be found about three quarters of the way down this page if you scroll down to it from the following link:-

http://www.pocruises.com/cruise-destinations/st-petersburg-cruises/

As ships often use the same port tour suppliers, I am thinking it may appear on other ship tour list's as well. Must admit I am curious of what the cost will be, and if it will be offered for our cruise. The three hours in Nevsky Prospect would give time to wizz off somewhere by metro and we became very familiar with the two main metro stations there during our hotel stay and free day from the river boat, which took us to Moscow in May. Unless that is, we would be kept on some sort of leash or dire threat if you stray too far :)

EDIT - I have just checked the link and it is not coming up as it was when I copied it, but if you click the blue bar which says 'view all shore excursions' after the last tour listed, you will be able to find the one I have mentioned and it can be expanded to show a full description of the tour.

Edited by tring

I asked on the P&O forums if the excursion I posted details of above is being offered this year and also about the price. I was told it is being offered at £42, which to us sounds a bargain. Having spent several days in St Petersburg this May we know SPB fairly well, but would be very pleased to return and have more free time in the locations visited on the Explorer - it is a lovely city and very tourist friendly.

From the area of Nevsky Prospect described there is quite a bit reachable, e.g. Church on Spilled Blood, Faberge Museum, Art Square and the National Museum, which is an art gallery, as well as the general buzz of the area. Field of Mars is a lovely garden area and easily walkable to the Neva River where there are brilliant views over to Peter and Paul Fortress or could just walk up the canal a short way. We were not that keen on the area by Isaac's Cathedral, but there are statues nearby and you may have time to go into the Cathedral. Like a number of other main tourist 'churches' it is actually a museum, so guides can talk to groups inside and it was far too packed for out liking in very early May. though aspects of the building had an interest. We found a self service cafe down steps on Nevsky Prospect which was a good place for a quick, cheap lunch - not luxury but practical - you may need roubles for that, not sure they would take cards.