Mayan Ruins

CaityMarie

Hi, we are going to be traveling on the Carnival Magic from November 11th to the 18th. We will be visiting Cozumel, Belize City, Mahogany Bay and Costa Maya. My question is which port would it be best to do an excursion to see the Mayan Ruins? I don't want to miss out on this awesome opportunity, but I also want to make sure I have fun. This is my first cruise & my first time leaving the country (other than to Victoria, B.C which is a ferry ride away). I also am afraid of paying a lot for an excursion and it being less than awesome.

Thank you for your input! [emoji2]

Caity

Hi Caity.

Here is a link to my review so you may find some tips by scrolling down to the itinerary section...

https://solentrichardscruiseblog.com/2016/01/31/oceania-riviera-mayan-mystique/

Dzibanche is credited with being by far the most spectacular Mayan ruins site accessible from Costa Maya...

24673654165_78c3951b33_z.jpg

Yet another ship again we visited Cozumel and on this occasion we visited the Chitzen Itza site...

32686638905_7eec14d04e_z.jpg

Again, I have written up a review...

https://solentrichardscruiseblog.com/2017/02/17/oceana-35-night-caribbean-round-trip/

Chitzen Itza was a long day but well worth it.

Whatever you choose, Enjoy your mayan adventure.

I have done Altun Ha in Belize twice with different cabin mates.

Lovely ruins that you can climb, depending on weather, and interesting bus ride, not terribly long.

Perfectly ok to just wander and look if you don't want to hike/climb.

Ruins were mystical though perhaps not as impressive as other sites. There is a very small number of local vendors set up who sell mostly wares made of local mahogany.

We thoroughly enjoyed it.

We did the Coba Mayan pyramids via Cozumel and it was amazing. It has the only pyramid in Mexico that you can still climb to the top of. I highly recommend it. You can read a review of it in my review from the Dream cruise I took in 2015 (link is in signature).

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Incorrect. You can climb the pyramids in Costa Maya. It's a huge site.

Chichen Itza is on my bucket list for sure. Just the history behind it, plus it's appearance on Ancient Aliens!

When we were in Belize in Jan 2016 we did Cahal Pech. Long ride through Belize, but the guide was awesome, and the lunch stop was great too (Orange Restaurant). Had lots of time to climb the ruins, etc. Unfortunately, it leaves you virtually no time to check things out around the cruise port. Wanted to stop at the Wet Lizard.

Next time in Belize we will most likely do another Mayan ruin excursion. So fascinating!!!!

en

IMO, Belize is the port to visit the ruins. I've done both Xunantunich and Altun Ha and can recommend both...but no doubt the Xunantunich ruins are more impressive.

If you're in great shape the Xunantunich ruins may be more impressive to view and more impressive to climb :D

We're retired and the climb up the tallest ruin at Altun Ha was all I could handle comfortably (it was very hot the day we were there) ... and I did enjoy the experience very much.

Just something to be aware of :D

It looks like your sailing has Cozumel Plus, which just means you are in port longer in Cozumel, so you can do things that take more time. Chichen Itza is only available on those sailings. It is a very long day with a lot of traveling, but it sounds amazing to me.

Chichen Itza is one of the 7 wonders of the modern world, and seeing all of them is on my bucket list. My next cruise doesn't have Cozumel Plus, but I know I will get there eventually.

I will say that I did Altun Ha in Belize, and it was a very good tour. I got to climb to the top and it was really an incredible view. It is one that doesn't take hours of traveling, so if you want one a little less involved, this one is a good one.

We opted to not do any excursions on this cruise. Since it is our first cruise and first time out of the country. Plus our first real vacation together.

Sent from my LG-H910 using Forums mobile app

What do you plan on doing then? You should really do some research on these ports. In Belize for example there is a 20 min tender ride to a small port - not much at all to do here. Likewise in Cozumel - there isn't much to do in the area we have docket at recently. If I got off both these places without an excursion I would be disappointed. The excursions people have recommended such as Altun Ha/River Wallace will not disappoint. Also, Cozumel is easy to do on your own - take a cab to Money Bar or any other such place and relax and enjoy some local food. But staying just around the port is a big no.

Roatan is a nice port built by carnival with a nice beach - but you are missing a beautiful island without exploring.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

What do you plan on doing then? You should really do some research on these ports. In Belize for example there is a 20 min tender ride to a small port - not much at all to do here. Likewise in Cozumel - there isn't much to do in the area we have docket at recently. If I got off both these places without an excursion I would be disappointed. The excursions people have recommended such as Altun Ha/River Wallace will not disappoint. Also, Cozumel is easy to do on your own - take a cab to Money Bar or any other such place and relax and enjoy some local food. But staying just around the port is a big no.

Roatan is a nice port built by carnival with a nice beach - but you are missing a beautiful island without exploring.

I opted to saying that we decided not to go on any excursions because saying that we can't afford to go on any is a lot more embarrassing. But thank you for pointing it out! I have done research!!!

You are going to get bored

:(

My sister and I stayed on the ship in Montego Bay on one cruise. We were far from bored. Chocolate Extravaganza, special spa prices, ample loungers available in serenity area and all over in sun and shade, no crowds.

We don't all cruise for the ports, and we don't all want every cruise to be the same experience.

My sister and I stayed on the ship in Montego Bay on one cruise. We were far from bored. Chocolate Extravaganza, special spa prices, ample loungers available in serenity area and all over in sun and shade, no crowds.

We don't all cruise for the ports, and we don't all want every cruise to be the same experience.

Thank you! These comments about being bored and such not doing excursions have really not been fair. The excursions have been almost $100 per person, and we just dont have the money. We'd much prefer to spend what spending money we have saved up for things like souvenirs. My mom will be watching our animals for over a week, I'd like to bring her a gift.

We are still going to get off the ship and walk around in port. We are creative people, we will still have fun! Plus there is a ton to do on board thr cruise ship!

Xunatunich ruins in Belize are spectacular. They are far from the port. After much research here we did a Carnival excursion to them. Check out the Belize board. You can climb the steps to the top. It's a workout , but worth it!

I absolutely agree that Xuantunich is the one to visit if going to Belize. We have been to Altun Ha, but it is not much compared to Xuantunich. You also get to see a whole lot of the countryside on the way to and from Xuantunich since it is only about a few miles from the border with Guatemala.

OP you will not get bored if you stay on the ship, or just get off and walk around the port area (Belize you have to tender and it's a 20-30 min ride each way). The only two times I have done something at every port were a transatlantic and Hawaii cruise - I enjoy being on board while in port - you can still find plenty to do. Serenity area, for example, is a great place to hang out, but can be very crowded on sea days.

I know you will have a great time -- just plan on being bitten by the "cruising bug"!

I suppose the one thing I will suggest is that when choosing cruises, different itineraries lend themselves better and worse to doing excursions and not doing excursions. I've always felt that the Eastern Caribbean itineraries lend themselves better to not doing excursions but I'm not really sure.

This message may have been entered using voice recognition. Please excuse any typos.

An apology if I offended with my comment

Bon Voyage

No apology needed and no offense taken. This is a great place for people to post opinions and wouldn't the world be a sad and boring place if we didn't have different opinions and enjoy different things.

Happy sailing.

I opted to saying that we decided not to go on any excursions because saying that we can't afford to go on any is a lot more embarrassing. But thank you for pointing it out! I have done research!!!

If I offended I am sorry but there have been many people that posted how much they disliked a port because they arrived, expected to get off and stroll around and the port wasn't conducive to that.

It is extremely cheap to get a cab to MoneyBar in Cozumel or other such places where you can hang out. We spent less than $80 for a day there eating and drinking what we wanted for a family of 4 - drinks are far cheaper there than on the ship (unless of course you have Cheers). I don't remember your other ports but if one is Grand Cayman, again you can take a cab to 7 mile beach very cheaply and have a great day. Roatan as I explain has a decent beach right in the port. Belize is the only real hurdle and would be a good day to spend mostly on the ship.