Helicopter Tour

kalliyan1

Considering taking a dog sledding tour this summer. The question I have is the helicopter seats 4 in the back and 2 in the front(not including pilot). For the people that are seated in the middle, are they going to be able to see much? It would be a complete bummer to pay so much for the tour and not be able to see anything.

Thanks!

I was seated in the middle on the flight up and my DH was seated by the window. I could see OK, but not as well as if I were next to the window, for sure. For me the helicopter ride was more about transport to the dogsledding camp, where that was the main event. However, I will mention that the pilot spotted mountain goats, and the only people who could see them clearly were the couple seated in the front next to the pilot. My husband barely caught a glimpse. I'm not completely sure why but the couple seated with us in the back flew in the other helicopter (there were 2 for our tour) on the return trip, so then I also had a window seat, which was nice. Unfortunately, you will not know where you will be seated until they know who is there on the day. They attempt to distribute the weight throughout to balance the helicopter. Hope that helps.

I will be booking with Temsco out of Skagway if we decide to go. Our Juneau and Ketchikan days are already booked and we won't have time those days.

I understand that the helicopter is the transportation but I think I might be disappointed if we are unable to see anything from the helicopter.

Decisions, decisions....LOL

I know it sucks. I've booked a sea plane, helicopter, train, bus and boat. I had to book the plane in case the helicopter can't fly etc. I hope those little rug rats of mine really appreciate the cost of these excursions. Funny: my 8 YO grand daughter says to me at Christmas, We get to do lots of things at your house grandma because you are really rich. Ahhh, if she only knew LOL.

With flights you take what you get. :) There are no guarantees. I fly multiple times, each trip. The more you fly the more you see. Hedging the bets- if able to with infrequent trips is essential for priorities and so is acceptance of less than ideal trips.

I am using temsco too. I figure I will sit at window on way to the glacier; and let me wife sit there on way back.

You will be assigned seats by TEMSCO that will balance the helicopter so changing seats with your wife will probably not be one of your options. The two middle seats in the helicopter are the only seats without a great window view.

We took Coastal Helicopters at Juneau last year with six passengers - four across the back row and two in the front plus the pilot. They did line us up how they wanted us to board based on our weight and balance. But they said on the way back we could shuffle around from side to side if we wanted too. The middle people could swap with the outside folks on the way back - we couldn't change the front to back arrangement though.

. But they said on the way back we could shuffle around from side to side if we wanted too. The middle people could swap with the outside folks on the way back - we couldn't change the front to back arrangement though.

You likely had even weights for most of these people? It becomes more difficult with big ranges, a 300lb and 100lb. Then there would not been any offer to "swap".

You can not count on changing your seat.

You need to be accepting of not being able to do this.

No big deal. We have four of us going; so we all weigh about the same. The scenery alone will be awesome.