Are pool hours being restricted now with lifeguards

MAHA

On Oasis earlier this month, I went up to the Solarium to read and get a clamshell chair. It was pretty warm and all I wanted was to take a dip in the pool. It didn't open until 10am. The hot tubs were open though. Then I figured out you could open the Solarium window and had a nice breeze.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Back in June when I was on Anthem with my grandsons. The whole kids swim area was closed at 5 pm every night.There were a lot of disappointed kids being told they had to leave. 5 o'clock is way too early for a pool to be closed on a nice hot day. The main pool was still open.

The Solarium pool was closed (roped off) early. I noticed later it was open and the lifeguard was there. I did wonder about the need for a lifeguard. The pool lists the depth as 3 foot 11 inches. The Solarium is restricted to 16 and older. Does the lifeguard just say "please stand up"? He looked REALLY bored.

It's been the result of a couple of drownings on Royal and other ship's recently. They do seem really bored. On Majesty the one lifeguard stayed near the kids water zone and it was clear his only task was to act if a severe situation occurred. I'm from a time when lifeguards were also rule enforcers and disciplinarians. I watched kids pushing/shoving/fighting, and running all over the place and they just watch. At least my hottubs are staying open 24 hours now!

Back in June when I was on Anthem with my grandsons. The whole kids swim area was closed at 5 pm every night.There were a lot of disappointed kids being told they had to leave. 5 o'clock is way too early for a pool to be closed on a nice hot day. The main pool was still open.

That was true on Liberty last October as well.

One problem with them "closing" pools when life guards aren't present, is they can't actually close off access to the pool. So kids/drunk people could still get into and hurt themselves, potentially with less people around that if the pools didn't close. Not that I think they should install chainlink fencing, I just think they should have "unguarded" times.

I believe the boy that died on Anthem had gotten into the pool when no one else was around. IIRC it was estimated that he had been in the water for ~10 minutes before anyone saw him.

It's been the result of a couple of drownings on Royal and other ship's recently. They do seem really bored. On Majesty the one lifeguard stayed near the kids water zone and it was clear his only task was to act if a severe situation occurred. I'm from a time when lifeguards were also rule enforcers and disciplinarians. I watched kids pushing/shoving/fighting, and running all over the place and they just watch. At least my hottubs are staying open 24 hours now!

When I was on Anthem they were correcting kids. I saw may kids getting told not running, no splashing, no horsing around. Also saw lots of parents being told their kids in diapers couldn't go in the kids wave pool, and sent them over to the little splash pool. I also saw them kicking out adults that were trying to sit at the edge of the pool with drinks.

That was true on Liberty last October as well.

One problem with them "closing" pools when life guards aren't present, is they can't actually close off access to the pool. So kids/drunk people could still get into and hurt themselves, potentially with less people around that if the pools didn't close. Not that I think they should install chainlink fencing, I just think they should have "unguarded" times.

I believe the boy that died on Anthem had gotten into the pool when no one else was around. IIRC it was estimated that he had been in the water for ~10 minutes before anyone saw him.

Actually the parents were right there but not paying attention.

Know on Serenade/Brilliance the kids pool & slide also has very limited hrs. Some days are like noon-3pm. Repos which have less kids are very limited. Depends on cruise and if in port that day or at sea.

• 3 months later...
Just off Serenade:

Kids pool - closes at 6pm

Main pool - closes at 8pm

Solarium pool - closes at 10

Hot tubs were listed as 24- hours.

I'm all for the lifeguards but would like a swim at your own risk option for the solarium pool after 10. This was pretty disappointing.

I agree, glad you brought this up again. I think, like other things it may vary ship to ship. Since my last post here I was on Adeventure and one life guard was active well past 11pm at the solarium pool, there was nobody in it, but the lifeguard was hanging around while we used the solarium hot tubs.

We sailed Oasis back in September and one pool was open into the evening. Not sure of the time, but we took a walk around the ship every night after (late) dinner and one pool was open. That would make it at least after 9:30 or so.

enjoy

M

On our Oasis cruise this past June, the pools were open until 11pm.