First cruise for my mom...need help deciding!

momof4girls

Which cruise would be best?  

22 members have voted

1. 1. Which cruise would be best?

• Victory (HMC & Nassau)
    • Victory (Coz & Key West)
    • Liberty
    • Conquest
    • Triumph

I've decided to take my mom on her first cruise, but am having trouble deciding which one. I don't want to start her on a 7-day in case she doesn't like it or feels seasick. She's never really been on any boat except a speed boat or house boat.

I started out on a Fantasy class ship and loved it from the very start. I'm just not sure the smallest class ships would be as enjoyable for her? I'm just very concerned about the seasick issue.

I've narrowed it down to five different cruises. Ports don't matter as much, and I feel that most of these shorter cruises have a "meh" port combined with a better one. Ocean view rooms as I have to pay for it all myself.

1) 4-day Victory out of Miami

Nassau

Half Moon Cay

2) 4-day Victory out of Miami

Cozumel

Key West

3) 4-day Liberty out of PC

Freeport

Princess Cays

4) 4-day Conquest out of Fort Lauderdale

Nassau

Half Moon Cay

5) 5-day Triumph out of NOLA

Cozumel

Progresso

Conquest is a wonderful ship but another important factor is choosing a time when kids are back in school so that your mother may experience cruising without the hustle, bustle and noise.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Looking at late Aug-Oct. I realize this is hurricane season but it's the easiest time for the both of us...

Triumph out of NOLA.

Because New Orleans is a terrific place to visit pre- or post-cruise; the extra sea day will let your Mom relax and get to fully appreciate Sea Days and the activities, spa, etc.; Cozumel is an easy port to explore on your own ($10 taxi fare, at most)...and you can try a ship excursion in Progreso.

At 101,000 tonnes, the Triumph shouldn't cause seasickness in that long stretch across the Gulf of Mexico. The sail down the Mississippi is actually quite interesting, too!

Looks like you are going to have to fly to the port - correct? I would definitely do a 5 day. If she is older, she may really prefer a smaller ship - less walking to get to things and less crowds. Have you thought about the Fantasy out of Mobile? It sails to Cozumel and Costa Maya - 2 beautiful ports.

Good luck in whatever you decide.

Yes, we would be flying into whatever port I choose. My sister lives in Biloxi so we both have been to NOLA multiple times.

I personally wasn't a fan of the Triumph (the layout) myself, but I was thinking more about her when I was looking at that cruise. I think she would enjoy a Fantasy class ship since most (if not all) will have the upgrades by the time we take this cruise (fall 2018). It was more about the seasick/motion issue I was worried about. I'm actually realizing that end of October/beginning of November will be better for the both of us.

I know she would enjoy Cozumel, and I've been to Costa Maya. I might just have to look at Mobile now!

Yes, we would be flying into whatever port I choose. My sister lives in Biloxi so we both have been to NOLA multiple times.

I personally wasn't a fan of the Triumph (the layout) myself, but I was thinking more about her when I was looking at that cruise. I think she would enjoy a Fantasy class ship since most (if not all) will have the upgrades by the time we take this cruise (fall 2018). It was more about the seasick/motion issue I was worried about. I'm actually realizing that end of October/beginning of November will be better for the both of us.

I know she would enjoy Cozumel, and I've been to Costa Maya. I might just have to look at Mobile now!

We are doing a 5 day on the Fantasy in early May. I've never been on the Fantasy, but love the Fascination and I believe they are somewhat similar. I can let you know how we enjoyed it when we return. We always thought we enjoyed the big ships more, but have come to realize when we aren't taking the kids with us we really prefer the smaller ships. Seems like it's just more intimate and the crew is less stressed!

We are doing a 5 day on the Fantasy in early May. I've never been on the Fantasy, but love the Fascination and I believe they are somewhat similar. I can let you know how we enjoyed it when we return. We always thought we enjoyed the big ships more, but have come to realize when we aren't taking the kids with us we really prefer the smaller ships. Seems like it's just more intimate and the crew is less stressed!

Thank you! I'd love if you would let me know how you liked it. I agree about it feeling more "intimate". Even though I've cruised on much bigger ships than the Fascination, I still desire to cruise again on a Fantasy class ship. I enjoyed running into the same people throughout the cruise, and I felt like the crew was more personable.

I've decided to take my mom on her first cruise, but am having trouble deciding which one. I don't want to start her on a 7-day in case she doesn't like it or feels seasick. She's never really been on any boat except a speed boat or house boat.

I started out on a Fantasy class ship and loved it from the very start. I'm just not sure the smallest class ships would be as enjoyable for her? I'm just very concerned about the seasick issue.

I've narrowed it down to five different cruises. Ports don't matter as much, and I feel that most of these shorter cruises have a "meh" port combined with a better one. Ocean view rooms as I have to pay for it all myself.

Nassau

Half Moon Cay

Cozumel

Key West

Freeport

Princess Cays

Nassau

Half Moon Cay

Cozumel

Progresso

Which ever cruise you decide get cruise insurance and have a good time.

Gary

Nassau

Half Moon Cay

Cozumel

Key West

Freeport

Princess Cays

Nassau

Half Moon Cay

Cozumel

Progresso

I voted for whichever ship stops in Coz and Key West..but mainly because I kind of love Cozumel. :-)

IF you decide to take the Triumph out of NOLA, unless you're going to the ruins of Chichen Itza, I would suggest not even getting off the ship. Progresso is a backwater pit and not worth it, IMO, because the vendors are suuuuuper aggressive.

I voted for whichever ship stops in Coz and Key West..but mainly because I kind of love Cozumel. :-)

IF you decide to take the Triumph out of NOLA, unless you're going to the ruins of Chichen Itza, I would suggest not even getting off the ship. Progresso is a backwater pit and not worth it, IMO, because the vendors are suuuuuper aggressive.

Consider your Mom's mobility if you're considering touring Mayan ruins. The ruins obviously are not handicap accessible. We went to Uxmal instead of Chichen Itza at our Progreso stop. The bus ride is about 1/2 hour shorter each way, and the site is not as crowded at Uxmal. The ruins themselves are fantastic!

Of your choices, you might want to consider the Key West/Cozumel itinerary. Your Mom might like touring the Hemingway house and/or Truman's Little White House. Cozumel has something for everyone and constantly entertains cruise guests.

No different than the ones in Cozumel. It's stupid to tell someone to stay on the ship because YOU don't like a port.

Looks like you are going to have to fly to the port - correct? I would definitely do a 5 day. If she is older, she may really prefer a smaller ship - less walking to get to things and less crowds. Have you thought about the Fantasy out of Mobile? It sails to Cozumel and Costa Maya - 2 beautiful ports.

Good luck in whatever you decide.

I was just about to say this. We specifically picked Fantasy over Triumph because of Costa Maya instead of Progreso

I say the 4 day to Nassau and HMC.

Two years ago I took my Mom on her first cruise who also wasn't sure about sea sickness. We did a 4 day out of Miami to Nassau and HMC and it was fabulous. Miami to Bahamas is hardly on the water which was reassuring in case of sea sickness and HMC is a great port. She's now as addicted as I am, 3 cruises in two years.

Have a great time!

I appreciate everyone's input. I'm still undecided and now I see that we could sail out of Tampa on the Paradise for a 5-day cruise with stops at Cozumel and Mahagony Bay (LOVE that port).

My mom will be 64 at the time of sailing, and at this point doesn't have any mobility issues. She will be flying out of Denver so I'm also looking at the easiest port to fly into from there. She would prefer a non-stop flight as she hates to fly (but does it for family).