Pricing out solo cruisers

Sometimes solos pay more than double because the comparison is between a double GTY booking and a solo cabin specific booking. I have no clue why solos are not allowed to book GTYs on some sailings. Does anyone know the answer to that?

Well, it was my son who is Gold, not Diamond Plus and it was an interior (promenade) room and we were told we wouldn't get double points because the room was discounted. This was several years ago.

However, I will email C&A and see what they say, if they'll apply the extra points after 5 years. If so, it'll bump him up to platinum.

It was only introduced in 2014 I believe it was the double points for solos - so wasn't in place 5 years ago unfortunately!

NCL sometimes waives the charge and singles pay single rates. but only on less demand cruises of course

some people have actually saved money this way. you book a balcony and a solo cabin or an inside guarantee. since no single surcharge you make out better than both paying balcony rates. and you have an extra room to use as a closet or party room :)

Was this prior to October 2013 by chance? That is when they changed solo cruisers from 1 point to 2.

Had to go look up his account information! The 150% cruise with single points was indeed before 2013, it was in Feb of 2011.

The cruise where I paid 200% for him (no discounts, I was confused when I booked and asked and they said full fare) was in Jan 2015. It was quite by happenstance that I found out about the double points too, was at a welcome back event and one of the presenters (loyalty ambassador I think) mentioned it. Good thing too cause when I checked his status later to see if he'd been awarded the correct points I saw they only gave him single and had to email someone to get it corrected.

So there you have it. At least my confusion is cleared up.

Paying 200% is still likely very fair. Solo cruisers only buy single tickets to speciality restaurants, only one drink package, only only ticket per shore excursion, items only for themselves in the shops and so on. Since the RCL pricing model is to have a low starting price with many people then paying considerably more for extras it's likely the case that even at twice the per-person couple's sticker price RCL will be making less money than if there were two passengers.

Paying 200% is still likely very fair. Solo cruisers only buy single tickets to speciality restaurants, only one drink package, only only ticket per shore excursion, items only for themselves in the shops and so on. Since the RCL pricing model is to have a low starting price with many people then paying considerably more for extras it's likely the case that even at twice the per-person couple's sticker price RCL will be making less money than if there were two passengers.

We also eat half of the food, make less mess in our stateroom, only need half of the toilet paper. We probably drink less from our drink package as drinking alone isn't as much fun. As for shore excursions, even with double occupancy they don't always sell two tickets, not everyone in the stateroom may end eating at specialty restaurants and even with two in a room you don't necessarily spend more on shopping if one shops and the other doesn't. [emoji15]

Cindy

Have to disagree/comment. Single cruisers don't eat twice the food, drink twice the number of "free" drinks, cabin is easier to clean, use less soap/toiletries, etc. Also over the years have met lots of people that don't drink alcohol or eat in specialty restaurants so you can't assume that all couples spend more on board. In actuality, probably many solo cruisers do shop, treat themselves to spa treatments, etc.

I don't object to paying an extra fee, but sometimes the up charge is just too much.

All decisions have many facets. Whether you are cruising solo or as a pair or as a family, you have to decide what price you are willing to pay. If the price a company is charging is too much for you, don't buy that company's product. It's that simple.

Gonna have to make up a passport number for the personal details, I guess.

I wouldn't recommend this. Falsifying personal documents is a felony.

Just put drivers license/birth certificate. They don't ask for personal account numbers on those.

Just put drivers license/birth certificate. They don't ask for personal account numbers on those.

You can't do that out of the UK - you have to have passport number. OP can you ask a close friend or family member, for their passport number?

In most cases, when the single rate comes out higher than the double rate, it's because RCCL's computers aren't processing the sale correctly. Usually, a simple phone call to them will correct the pricing and save you the trouble of creating a fictitious roommate.

In most cases, when the single rate comes out higher than the double rate, it's because RCCL's computers aren't processing the sale correctly. Usually, a simple phone call to them will correct the pricing and save you the trouble of creating a fictitious roommate.

You can't do that out of the UK - you have to have passport number. OP can you ask a close friend or family member, for their passport number?

Yes I am following this closely as I am a sole cruiser.

RCCL single rate is higher than their double rate as I found out when I phone them about my recent booking.

Yes I have to give my passport number for booking and it would be troubling for me to have to put in a fictitious name anywhere.

Maybe some RCCL resident posters can chip in here.

I took my man on his first cruise out of Singapore last month (he lives in Malaysia). I think I still have his passport details, maybe I should ask his permission.