Ft. lauderdale to POM on day of or better to be in Miami on day of

LeDemonBlond

We booked a NCL cruise that leaves on a Sunday from Miami. Were going to fly in on Friday so we have a Saturday to explore. It looks like it will be an easier travel day for us to fly into Fort Lauderdale than Miami.as most likely we would be flying out of Toronto.

My question is if we stay in Fort Lauderdale and take transportation to Miami port on the Sunday, is that just too hectic. We won't be driving but using a shuttle or a car service but I'm wondering about Traffic, delays,etc. Is it just not worth it!

Thanks

We booked a NCL cruise that leaves on a Sunday from Miami. Were going to fly in on Friday so we have a Saturday to explore. It looks like it will be an easier travel day for us to fly into Fort Lauderdale than Miami.as most likely we would be flying out of Toronto.

My question is if we stay in Fort Lauderdale and take transportation to Miami port on the Sunday, is that just too hectic. We won't be driving but using a shuttle or a car service but I'm wondering about Traffic, delays,etc. Is it just not worth it!

Thanks

Shouldn't be a problem at all. We have flown in/stayed overnight in FLL for cruises leaving from Miami. We had pre-arranged transportation from the hotel in FLL to the pier at Miami. The trip should take you around 30 minutes, and since it's a Sunday, there is no "rush hour" traffic to deal with.

1000's of cruisers make their way from the FLL area to POM every week. Lots of shared shuttles available for about $15 per person each way or you can Uber for about $40 for the car

Its not hectic at all. I would stay in whichever area that 1. Make most sense for your budge and 2. You want to stay in. Downtown Miami/Miami Beach is typically more walkable dense for staying here with no car. It won't be an issue landing in FLL and staying in the Miami area. Remember, Port Miami is extremely close to Downtown Miami/Brickell and still pretty close to Miami Beach. Short taxi/uber rides.

You could also have no issues staying in the Ft. Lauderdale area and then taking transit Sunday down to Miami. If its not a large group an Uber is usually the best and cheapest choice. You can also take an Uber from FLL airport to the Miami area. Both rides will be around $40.00

Thanks

Your shared shuttle options will be limited on Friday afternoon and you don't want to waste time changing hotels, so it's better to stay in Ft Lauderdale and then transfer the day of the cruise. That will give you all day and night going to the beach, riding the Water Taxi, dinner or all of the above on Saturday. Traffic is just not an issue on Sunday morning.

You see the shuttle, uber or cab to POM will be no problem.

What you have to decide is what kind of things interest you for that day and a half. If interested in spending time in South Beach, then head to Miami on your arrival. We have spent lots of days in Ft. L , so if cruising from Mia, prefer to head there the day of our arrival. But like mentioned, it's up to you and interests and budget.

If you stay in downtown Miami/Brickell area everything you'd need is in walking distance. And a short uber or cab to Miami Beach/South Beach. The free Metro mover will take you over to Bayside area to pick up a couple tours including the hops on hop off bus and water tours of the bay area.

Do a little research and then make your decision. Enjoy your stay.

Thanks

Fellow Canadian here, also on NCL. We're doing the same as you, staying in Ft Lauderdale the day before and transiting over to the Port of Miami the next morning. Since we arrive late into FLL, we've decided to stay at the Hyatt House just south of the airport (so not on the 17th St strip), as the Hyatt House claim to offer a free shuttle from the airport to their location. The next morning we are taking a shared shuttle ($15 pp) direct from the Hyatt House to the ship. I've been told that these shared shuttles take 60-90 minutes as they drive around to pick up passengers. Pickup time is 9:30, so we should get to the ship just around the time they start boarding. Have a great trip, eh ;o)

Fellow Canadian here, also on NCL. We're doing the same as you, staying in Ft Lauderdale the day before and transiting over to the Port of Miami the next morning. Since we arrive late into FLL, we've decided to stay at the Hyatt House just south of the airport (so not on the 17th St strip), as the Hyatt House claim to offer a free shuttle from the airport to their location. The next morning we are taking a shared shuttle ($15 pp) direct from the Hyatt House to the ship. I've been told that these shared shuttles take 60-90 minutes as they drive around to pick up passengers. Pickup time is 9:30, so we should get to the ship just around the time they start boarding. Have a great trip, eh ;o)

Good plan. You might want to check Uber. Cost should be between $35.00 / $40.00 and you wouldn't have to pick up anyone else or drop them off at different ships. ( would be for two people )

Fellow Canadian here, also on NCL. We're doing the same as you, staying in Ft Lauderdale the day before and transiting over to the Port of Miami the next morning. Since we arrive late into FLL, we've decided to stay at the Hyatt House just south of the airport (so not on the 17th St strip),)

Since the OP will be arriving on Friday and not cruising until Sunday, I wouldn't advise staying out at the airport. They will end up spending transportation money and time to get into and around town. Not a convenient spot for two nights.

Since the OP will be arriving on Friday and not cruising until Sunday, I wouldn't advise staying out at the airport. They will end up spending transportation money and time to get into and around town. Not a convenient spot for two nights.

Agreed. In our particular case, we are arriving late the night before the cruise, so it makes sense for us. The OP is arriving 2 days before, so the Hyatt House would not be an optimum location.

Good plan. You might want to check Uber. Cost should be between $35.00 / $40.00 and you wouldn't have to pick up anyone else or drop them off at different ships. ( would be for two people )

Thanks for the advice, but we don't do Uber.

Uber is very simple to use and would be your best option.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Thanks, but please note I said we "don't" do Uber, not we "can't" do Uber. Where we come from, Uber is an unregulated taxi service taking advantage of wide loopholes in local laws to operate an unregulated taxi service in direct competition with taxi services who are under massive and onerous government oversight. While I have zero love for the taxi industry, that, to me, is patently unfair. Once Uber is regulated, or better yet, the taxi industry in de-regulated, so ALL such services are on a level playing field, then will we consider Uber-type services. Just our opinion....

Thanks, but please note I said we "don't" do Uber, not we "can't" do Uber. Where we come from, Uber is an unregulated taxi service taking advantage of wide loopholes in local laws to operate an unregulated taxi service in direct competition with taxi services who are under massive and onerous government oversight. While I have zero love for the taxi industry, that, to me, is patently unfair. Once Uber is regulated, or better yet, the taxi industry in de-regulated, so ALL such services are on a level playing field, then will we consider Uber-type services. Just our opinion....

IMHO I also have a more general concern re: Uber. The concept seems to assume that the revenue the driver nets will cover increased fuel, maintenance and insurance costs. I've worked with cost allocation in the past and this underlines my concern.

To each their own.

Never used Uber. Going from Port Everglades to Port of Miami they say around $40. How much more would it be to just grab a taxi at the port? More convenient than Uber and we don't have to use our cellphone which is crazy expensive in the US for us Canadians I guess.

Thanks,

Tony

Never used Uber. Going from Port Everglades to Port of Miami they say around $40. How much more would it be to just grab a taxi at the port? More convenient than Uber and we don't have to use our cellphone which is crazy expensive in the US for us Canadians I guess.

Thanks,

Tony

It's probably going to be around $80 to $90 US one way by taxi, so about $3200 in our Canadian dollars ;o( It might be cheaper to do one of the shuttle buses which should be about $15US per person, though it won't be as quick and direct. We will be doing a shuttle in two weeks from our hotel near the airport down to the Port of Miami.

As to the phone, it depends on who your provider is up here. Bell has a type of roaming plan that runs $5 per day and I believe it's available on a day by day basis. I plan to use it on only embarkation and disembarkation days to connect with our transport drivers.

Not sure why you felt the need to make that point, but yes, it's a personal decision. Thanks for the input.

No need to be rude. Was just trying to give you information on how you can save money by using Uber, which by the way, has a quite user friendly phone app.