PHOTO PRICES?? Love 'em or hate 'em!?!!

PammyHound

Ya know, in the age of digital cameras. I don't see why they don't take the pictures and some how make them available on your TV in your room. Maybe take your folio number each time you have one done?? You could view them at your leisure instead of wading through the crowds and if you like them you could order the print and pick it up in the Photo shop. Better yet, they could have the room steward deliver them at the end of the cruise with your final bill. No more piles and piles of wasted pictures being throw away. Also, if they were a tad more reasonable, I would buy more pictures. I just think $20 for an 8x10 is a bit high.

pammyhound.gif

Atom.gif

GROUP BOARD FOR ROYAL HOUNDS ON CARIBBEAN PRINCESS 9/17/05

PRICING & BOOKING INFO FOR CARIBBEAN PRINCESS

Group board for the Royal Hounds 9/19/04

For pricing and booking info click:Royal Hounds

Miracle 2/13/05, Royal Hounds 9/19/04, Conquestadors 1/11/04,

Glory Hounds 9/13/03, Triumph 1/03, Fascination 5/02

royalsmallwide.gif

If lifes a beach... then I want to cruise there!

I agree. The 5x7 casual shots are $10, which is also too high. I hate to see all the photos that aren't purchased, too. That is a good idea. We often find the best photos of us are the ones we ask a fellow cruiser to snap with our camera. We did purchase 2 casuals, but only because we had a voucher from the TA for them. I especially dislike the ones taken at the table with half-eaten food in front of you.

Gloria

Grand Princess, Eastern, April 2001

Grand Princess, Western,April 2002

Regal to Hawaii, April 5-20, 2004

You'd think that someone would figure out that reducing the price might result in more sales. What really irks me, though, is that if we find a good shot we like and decide to buy it, we are often asked, "Why don't you want the rest?" Sometimes the tone of voice used is, shall we say, less than professional.

Completed:

Sea Princess, Royal Princess, Grand Princess (3X), Caribbean Princess, Golden Princess

I wonder if the prices are set so as not to undercut landbased photography studios. If you can get formal portraits on board a cruise for cheap, why go to a studio at home?

Jackie

I know i'd buy more if they lowered the price. And what is Princess's deal with all of the 8X10's and only a few 5X7's. Do they really think i'm going to buy a 8X10 that nothing more than a 5X7 with a border around it??

Scott

I was bummed about the pics on our last cruise. The prices have gone way too high. I used to buy a lot more--so in total I spent more, but I had plenty of pics. I loved getting the port pics holding the life preserver...this time each port had the same blanket over the railing and they added a custom border. I will be trimming some of the borders off the pics before I frame the pics.

And how many 8x10's can you have of yourself anyway???? 5x7 can even be a bit much when you've been on a few cruises.

pammyhound.gif

Atom.gif

royalsmallwide.gif

I wish they could get rid of the photographers all together. I haven't run into one yet that wasn't rude or obnoxious. I don't need them coming around while I trying to enjoy dinner or stopping me on the deck etc. To me it is an annoyance and I don't buy the photos on principal regardless of the price.

Next Cruise: 6/27/04 Sapphire Princess

The only photographers I mind are the ones on the ramps when you're trying to get off in a port. Really slows down the process, why can't they set up an are near the ship as you're walking away and only take pics of the ones who want them?? oh yeah, I forgot about the "show girls" that Carnival has outside of the dining room. Like I want a picture of my husband with a woman who has a perfect body??! Please.......

pammyhound.gif

Atom.gif

royalsmallwide.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by PammyHound:

And how many 8x10's can you have of yourself anyway???? 5x7 can even be a bit much when you've been on a few cruises.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

ITA Pammy! Naren and I were saying to ourselves that we'd buy so many more photos if they were cheaper! But there's no understanding why things are the way they are!

We bought four pics. One from each formal night, the embarkation photo (for our wall collection) and our waiter photo. We liked many more photos from the formal night, but couldn't afford them, and now we have no where to put them. We have 800 wedding photos, and no where to put them either! LOL

Happy Sails,

Mrs. Tulpule

133608185PLovjY_th.jpg133602221JczsZh_th.jpg133602907kMhHvb_th.jpg140692313aCZuBP_th.jpg

Naren, "But I can't help falling in love with you."

Click here to see more wedding pictures

icon_smile.gif CCL Paradise 9/23/2000 #U161 - icon_frown.gif CCL Holiday 3/5/2001 #M32 - icon_cool.gificon_wink.gif RCCL Explorer 9/1/2001 #7298 - icon_smile.gif CCL Ecstasy 12/7/2001 #R171 - icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif CCL Pride 3/2/2002 #6194 - icon_biggrin.gif RCCL Vision 10/11/02 #4521 - icon_biggrin.gif CCL Ecstasy 12/27/2002 #E135 - icon_smile.gif CCL Ecstasy 1/20/2003 #U197 - icon_biggrin.gif RCCL Monarch 12/19/03 #9580 - icon_cool.gificon_wink.gificon_wink.gif CCL Ecstasy 2/6/04 #M209

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=4169e1&cdt=2004;5;13;09;00;00&timezone=GMT-0800 ... until our Star Honeymoon

time98.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by PammyHound:

Like I want a picture of my husband with a woman who has a perfect body??! Please.......<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

lmao, Naren wanted me to get my picture taken with her! Yeah dear, that'll happen!

Happy Sails,

Mrs. Tulpule

133608185PLovjY_th.jpg133602221JczsZh_th.jpg133602907kMhHvb_th.jpg140692313aCZuBP_th.jpg

Naren, "But I can't help falling in love with you."

Click here to see more wedding pictures

icon_smile.gif CCL Paradise 9/23/2000 #U161 - icon_frown.gif CCL Holiday 3/5/2001 #M32 - icon_cool.gificon_wink.gif RCCL Explorer 9/1/2001 #7298 - icon_smile.gif CCL Ecstasy 12/7/2001 #R171 - icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif CCL Pride 3/2/2002 #6194 - icon_biggrin.gif RCCL Vision 10/11/02 #4521 - icon_biggrin.gif CCL Ecstasy 12/27/2002 #E135 - icon_smile.gif CCL Ecstasy 1/20/2003 #U197 - icon_biggrin.gif RCCL Monarch 12/19/03 #9580 - icon_cool.gificon_wink.gificon_wink.gif CCL Ecstasy 2/6/04 #M209

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=4169e1&cdt=2004;5;13;09;00;00&timezone=GMT-0800 ... until our Star Honeymoon

time98.gif

We don't buy any. We take our own we do get a picture on every cruise with our waiters, but either another waiter or sweet passenger will take it for us. icon_smile.gif

Sue

7 days on Star Princess 10/24

GROWING OLD IS MANDATORY..... GROWING UP IS OPTIONAL

We have found when sailing with our extended family, only one of us buys the 8 x 10 of the group of choice. Then back home our local photography developing store will reproduce as many & in what ever size reprints we want. THerefore, everyone in our group recieves the size they want (usually 5 x7).

We have even had wallets made of the kids to put in Christmas cards!

Enjoy!

Laruie

I always budget it in. I usually buy 6-8 depending on how they turn out. I know they are high but I figure my DH and Kids are never really dressed up and this is my chance for a nice family portrait. I would like it if they lowered the price, but will continue to budget in pictures.

Kathy

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=ff0000&cdt=2004;11;21;17;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500

Until we Celebrate Turkey Day on the Star!!!!

Voyager of the Seas 10/3/03

Ecstasy 9/01, 9/02

Holiday 9/98, 9/99, 9/00

I guess I'm the only one that thinks the photo prices are quite reasonable. On land we have to pay a sitting fee and then the cost of the pictures on top of that. I do wish they had a package option available, though (where you could order several different sizes of a pic, including wallets). Of course, it’s only when we cruise with our kids when we buy lots of pictures. Since parents are used to paying $50 for so-so school photos, and around $100 minimum for a good portrait, the cruise prices really don’t seem so bad.

Another bonus...on our April cruise on the Diamond we had the kids sit for individual black and white portraits one night, and we were able to use some of them as head shots for our acting daughters. These usually cost around $150 (sitting and contact sheet...the prints are extra). So it all depends on perspective.

I seldom buy pictures.......our first Princess cruise after 7 RC cruises is this November. Does Princess have a routine they follow?? Every night on the first night RC comes around with a pirate and a parrot to take your picture. Once is cute, twice is ok, the third time get lost.........how many pirate pictures does one really need?? I'm hoping this is one area that Princess is different.

Jim

Nordic Prince 8/88

Viking Serenade 3/93

Enchantment 3/01

Rhapsody 9/02

Splendour 4/03

Rhapsody, 9/03

Brilliance, 4/04

Until Our Caribbean Princess Cruise

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=0000ff&cdt=2004;11;06;17;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500

Until Hawaii on Inifinity

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=dc143c&cdt=2005;4;6;23;59;00&timezone=GMT-1100

Until Vision/Mexican Riviera

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=4169e1&cdt=2005;10;23;17;0;00&timezone=GMT-0800

Warning: Long...possibly boring story. icon_smile.gif

I was at Harrah's in Las Vegas last November with my wife, parents, and mother-in-law. It was the first time that my parents had ever been to Vegas and will probably be the last. It was the first time I was there with my wife. Of course, it was the 1st time we were all there together.

One night we decided to eat at the steakhouse that looks out onto the strip (The Range). We normally don't eat in places that are $50-$75 a person without drinks, but we had plenty of comps so it wasn't costing us anything but the tip.

Sometime before the appetizers arrived a photographer came over and wanted to take our picture. Pretty much everyone at the table was not interested, but I piped up and said yes...definitely.

Not sure why I really even done it at the time. Of course I knew that after dinner the photographer would be back with some pictures and the would probably cost a LOT to buy. When she came by later she had 8x10s and said $20 a piece. Everyone at the table but me was thinking the price was too high and wasn't going to buy any. After inquiring about quantity discount (there was none) I bought 3 of them for $60 without blinking an eye. I got 3 so that I could give 1 to my parents and 1 to my mother-in-law.

My dad asked why I just spent $60 on 3 photos. I started to explain that when again (if ever) in our lifetime will the collective group of us be sitting at a nice dinner on the strip in Las Vegas. (we live in different parts of the country) As soon as he thought for a second he flipped out a $20 and said he wanted to buy his own. Mother-in-law did the same.

I lost a lot more than $60 in Vegas and even with the free flights and rooms it cost plenty to be there. Over time, I'll forget all about the details of that trip to Vegas, but I'll always have that picture and when our parents are long gone I can look at it and remember that wonderful dinner we had.

Could I have brought by own camera and snap a photo of us and save $50? Sure. Did I think of it? No

I'm glad that photographer came by.

Carl

hopping-bunny.gif

Time until Sailing

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=4169e1&cdt=2005;04;10;17;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500

Lauire, I am surprised that your local photographer would make copies of another professional's pictures...it just isn't done. Our local WallyWorld won't even let you reproduce a professional photograph on their "do it yourself" machine! icon_eek.gificon_eek.gif

Cruising! It's like being in the Garden of Eatin'!

The only type of picture that can NOT be reproduced is a copyrighted one. If you look closely at both the front and back of a Princess photo there is NO copyright.

In this day and age of the digital camera, it is hard to tell in many cases if a "professional" took the picture or a family member. My brother took a picture by the piano of DH and I on the Coral on Formal night that actually looks better than the one Princess photographer took. Also with the large number of scanners out there and no copyright, there is nothing preventing you from making a copy of a photo, no matter who takes it.

Vicki

12/26/04 Caribbean Princess to Eastern Caribbean

Princess Star 8/03 Alaska

Princess Coral 3/03 Panama

Disney's Wonder 12/01 Bahama's

RCC Majesty of the Seas 11/99 Southern Caribbean

I rarely have my picture taken by the ships photographers. Yes, I'm one of those who, upon embarkation, walks right by.

However, we had a family group on the Coral last summer and arranged for a family portrait. It came out great! We each bought one, mostly because at the time, we thought it would be quite a while before we were all together again.

(Naturally, a week after we got home, my daughter got engaged so we are going to be together again in August from all over the country.)

Song of Norway & Song of America, 1986-88; Royal Princess 2/99; Sun Princess 1/00; Ocean Princess 12/00; Royal Princess 4/01; Grand Princess 12/23/01; Sea Princess 2/9/02; Explorer of the Seas 12/21/02; Coral Princess 8/9/03; Nordic Empress 12/27/03; Regal Princess (4/20/04)

-- Caribbean Princess (12/26/04) -- Roll Call

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=0099FF&cdt=2004;12;26;12;0;00&timezone=GMT-0800

-- Royal Princess (4/21/05) -- Roll Call

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=0099FF&cdt=2005;04;21;12;0;00&timezone=GMT-0800

Ditto w/Vicki . . . unless the back of the photo states "no copyrighting" You can copy away!!

As I menioned we will buy one 8 x 10 of a practicular pose & get home & make 5 x 7's wallets & even 4 x 6 off of the one photo.

We do like the opportunity to have our family professionally photographed. We usual choose a background that is simple & we always coordinated our outfits to look good together (on each of the formal nights). I have to say we also have some very nice memories taken on several cruises of everyone all dressed up in Tuxes & formal wear that would never have happen back home.

I might add that after you buy 10 photos you get one FREE! Which will now give you some indication on how much we spend!

Again the memories of our kids, grandparents & siblings are preserved in time with some pretty amazing pictures we will have for a life time.

Lastly, this last cruise we had some awesome black & white casual pictures taken of our daugther that turned great!

Laurie

I thought the pictures taken by the cruise photographers were on the higher side but it didn't keep me from buying them.

On the other hand, if you're still on celluloid and want to get rolls of film developed on the ship:

1. You don't have to worry about x-rays at the airport destroying the film leaving white or grey clouds what some paranormal phsyic ghost hunter might describe as an "apparition" thereby making your basement haunted

2. You can bring your freshly developed photoes to the dining room and share them with the people to the left of you, the people to the right of you, your waiter, your assitant waiter and the guy who rolls that booze cart around trying to entice you into buying a shot of Wild Turkey Flambe w/ that keepsake glass w/ the colored ball for a stem

3. It's only $6.95 for 26 exposures.

Or something like that.

Be very careful when having pictures copied. PPA (Professional Photographers Association) takes a very dim view of pictures being copied. There are laws covering the copying of professional photos and they are working hard to see those laws enforced. DH is a professional photographer. Yes, we do buy picures on board the ship and feel they are reasonable in price. After all, I don't usually pay $1.56 for a can of soda, but I do so on the ship.

Archived