Captains Club cabin upgrade not available with TA lower "group" rates

clojacks

I called our TA last week inquiring about pricing on a SE Asia cruise that we were interested in. They had a price that was advertised on their website that was significantly less than the same cabin listings on Celebrity's site. I was interested in booking a C3 and using my Captain's Club enrollment to upgrade to a C2. The representative for my TA said that because they were advertising or showing a group rate, we would not be eligible to upgrade at that rate, but we could at the Celebrity rate that was a few hundred higher. I have NEVER been told that their price didn't apply for an upgrade? Anyone else run in to this? Have I just been lucky in the past?

It is a 'group rate' through a travel agency and many 'benefits' may not apply, such as cabin upgrades and the like.

Were you to book a X published rate through X or a TA, then benefits will apply. Is it possible that your previous bookings through TA's were at X's published rates, thus you enjoyed the added benefits?

bon voyage

if you are still saving a ton of money, and the cost between those categories isn't substantial, I wouldn't look at it like you are being short changed. Like mentioned, the TA has the power when offering a group rate. Sometimes we have been offered the upgrade, sometimes not. As long as we are saving hundreds of dollars...shrug. :D

We upgraded ours a couple of weeks ago. Our TA had booked us with group rate and we used the Captain's Club upgrade. I think it must vary from one TA to the next and doesn't have anything to do with the cruise line.