Harvest Cay - Can I Leave the Confines of the Private Port Area?

abisha

I am cruising on the Escape end of May, and Harvest Cay is one of the ports of call. About a year ago, my cousin gave up her hectic life and business in San Francisco and moved to Belize and absolutely loves it there. Says she found heaven and paradise (and pics of her proove it!). She and I would love to see each other, but I wasn't sure I was able to leave the private island area. She seems to think she can also walk into the area where the passengers are. I am doubting that, but maybe I am wrong. She was hoping she could find a meeting point at the port, and she would take hubby and I (by boat..I believe she has one) to where she lives (which I believe is in Placencia) and spend a little bit of the day together.

Anyone know if this could work? Again, I am skeptical as I've been to other private islands (think along the lines of Royal's Labadee, Haiti port, where no one could leave the "private area" as it is too dangerous, nor could the locals enter it, except for the vendors working).

It's an island & I don't think they let random boats just dock. But I have an idea...have her call The Coldwell Banker Harvest Caye office - (855) 723-5493. I don't think they live on the island so maybe they will help with ideas on how to meet up.

I'm super jealous of your friend. My retirement plan involves a house in Belize...

I don't see how. There were several no trespassing private property signs posted at points that could have been used to land a boat. And Belize City is a long way from Harvest Cay, even if you can get over to the mainland.

Harvest Caye is a private island, from what I've figured out around 45 minutes from the southern mainland. Belize and NCL intend to keep it private, not even the local press has been allowed to come to the island without an invitation. I also read a local blog from Belize and some of the residents of Belize are very upset about it's exclusiveness! Your friend in Belize should be well aware of this if shes in tune with local news. So no, unless you take a NCL tour to the mainland could you possibly meet up, if you can figure it out.

Harvest Caye is a private island, from what I've figured out around 45 minutes from the southern mainland. Belize and NCL intend to keep it private, not even the local press has been allowed to come to the island without an invitation. I also read a local blog from Belize and some of the residents of Belize are very upset about it's exclusiveness! Your friend in Belize should be well aware of this if shes in tune with local news. So no, unless you take a NCL tour to the mainland could you possibly meet up, if you can figure it out.
I think that is your best bet..........book a tour to the main island and meet up with her. Just have to find out if you are allowed to leave the tour and you will have to make sure you meet back up with them to get back to the ship.

I think that is your best bet..........book a tour to the main island and meet up with her. Just have to find out if you are allowed to leave the tour and you will have to make sure you meet back up with them to get back to the ship.

I very much doubt they will be cool with you leaving the tour. They have head counts and responsibility to get everyone back to the ship.

OP, your friend lives in Belize so hopefully she can figure it out. She may need to try to get to harvest caye prior to your trip to figure out the logistics of it; but if she can great.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Harvest Caye is a 45 minute boat ride from the closest mainland, and your friend WILL NOT be allowed to dock. Best thing to do would be find out where the NCL only tours dock on the mainland and meet there. However from the previous post I highly doubt they will allow you to deviate from the tour group. Maybe you can plead your case to the ship personnel and catch a ride with a tour group and spend the time with your friend. That's at best a c**p shoot and all being said your friend doesn't live far from the dock. I suggest next time book a flight to Belize, hopefully that will be your only cost as you should have a place to stay and transportation in-country. Beautiful country, great people, but from Harvest Caye for maybe a couple hour visit.....

Harvest Caye is a 45 minute boat ride from the closest mainland...

Isn't that the mainland right behind the island? Or are you saying it's a 45 minute ride to where the ferry for excursions docks on the mainland?

39b415d99af5187280d35260b9549d24.jpg

831d919c32c33952770f028816599c11.jpg

Btw, I'm not disagreeing with anyone else's point that it would be quite difficult to meet up.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I appreciate everyone's input. As far as her getting a boat, I don't think that's an issue for her. She knows many people who have them. She, herself, has her captains license. She could also have her own boat by now. I'm not sure.

I agree with others making a comment whether or not she can dock at Harvest Cay. I would tend to think she cannot.

Booking a tour and then leaving the group is not an option.

She may be visiting her parents here in Massachusetts who live 5 minutes from me in the next two months. So I'm waiting to see if she is coming, and if we can get together to discuss the possibility.

Either way, I'll let you all know.