How fast is the WiFi on Queen Mary 2?

BoiiMcFly

This summer on a WB T/A crossing it was terrible, at all hours.  I am self-employed and need 30 minutes in the AM & again in the PM to check in with my staff to see if any clients have questions that may be too complicated for them to answer.  Get on to my email-get dropped - get back on - get dropped. Use up all my minutes because when it dropped me it didn't log out. Get Cunard to restore the minutes and repeat again the next day.  Every day I would try - and then  give up and just call the office on my cell phone and pay roaming rates.  I came home to a $300 phone bill. It was worth it not to waste the entire crossing fighting with the internet just to read and answer emails.  When they fix this I will be able to take more frequent and longer Cunard trips.

If you really need to stay in contact with people back home - bring a phone. The phone works great even in the middle of the Atlantic. 

• Like 1

On 12/7/2018 at 11:34 AM, CABINET said:

I didn't realise any cruise ship could provide decent wi-fi.

Which lines can?

Celebrity and Royal Caribbean have super fast internet, almost as good as a home connection.  I could FaceTime my husband at home from my cabin on HARMONY OF THE SEAS.  It was awesome, just like being at home.  The other great thing is they have reasonably priced unlimited packages, so you stay connected all the time.  Not this constant logging on and off like on Cunard where half the time it doesn't even work.  

Carnival Cruise Lines, MSC, and Princess Cruises have also invested in high speed internet.   More and more cruise lines are following as unlimited fast internet at reasonable pricing is becoming an expected norm, not a one-off rarity.  Cunard really needs to get with the program.  They are coming out with a new ship and if they want to attract new cruisers and increase market share they will have to appeal to a broader demographic.  I'm sure the rationale today is that the typical Cunard passenger is too old or not tech savvy enough to care about fast internet.  There may be some truth to that but times are changing along with expectations.  

6 hours ago, eroller said:

Celebrity and Royal Caribbean have super fast internet, almost as good as a home connection.  I could FaceTime my husband at home from my cabin on HARMONY OF THE SEAS.  It was awesome, just like being at home.  The other great thing is they have reasonably priced unlimited packages, so you stay connected all the time.  Not this constant logging on and off like on Cunard where half the time it doesn't even work.  

Carnival Cruise Lines, MSC, and Princess Cruises have also invested in high speed internet.   More and more cruise lines are following as unlimited fast internet at reasonable pricing is becoming an expected norm, not a one-off rarity.  Cunard really needs to get with the program.  They are coming out with a new ship and if they want to attract new cruisers and increase market share they will have to appeal to a broader demographic.  I'm sure the rationale today is that the typical Cunard passenger is too old or not tech savvy enough to care about fast internet.  There may be some truth to that but times are changing along with expectations.  

Thanks for this reply - very interesting.

I remember a few years ago having a conversation with my OH about staying in holiday properties and him saying that it would become absolutely necessary for there to be good internet access.  At the time I thought he was wrong but I don't now.  In fact these days I get rather twitchy if I can't connect to the internet at all.

If it is possible to have decent internet at sea then Cunard really should start dealing with their appalling service. 

Cunard had the perfect opportunity to dramatically upgrade the internet on QM2 two years ago during her major refit, then QV a year or so later, and most recently QE during her two week refit.  They have chosen not to spend the $$.  I think it's a big mistake.  

• Like 2