New Canadian Exchange Rate Effective March 17th

bamelin

So then you have to factor in the cost of insurance as a loss too? Then also pay for insurance again on the new, rebooked cruise?

I was told that I would lose the cost of the insurance but the refund portion of the settlement was larger than I was told so I am not sure. I am still waiting for the cruise credits from Princess. The Insurance company said it would take several weeks. Note, the new insurance was a lot less than the old insurance because the cost of the new cruise was a lot less.

• 1 month later...

What should it cost us if we purchase OBC"s ahead of time on our Cdn Credit Card ?

I recently booked a cruise for March/18 and the price in Cdn $ ended in .80 which I thought meant a 1.2 conversion factor of Cdn to US $'s. I had to have my TA get Princess to refund my US FCC that I had and replace it with a Cdn FCC. The cost of the$200 US FCC in Cdn $'s charged to my Cdn CC was $240 thus a 1.2 conversion factor.

Just this past week I called Princess to add $300 to my OBC and she told me the cost would be $360 Cdn on my Cdn CC.

Much to my surprise this morning there was a Princess charge on my Visa for $395.32.

Anyone else have similar issues and if so how were they resolved ?

What should the right amount charged to me be in Cdn $ ?..... Dave

What should it cost us if we purchase OBC"s ahead of time on our Cdn Credit Card ?

I recently booked a cruise for March/18 and the price in Cdn $ ended in .80 which I thought meant a 1.2 conversion factor of Cdn to US $'s. I had to have my TA get Princess to refund my US FCC that I had and replace it with a Cdn FCC. The cost of the$200 US FCC in Cdn $'s charged to my Cdn CC was $240 thus a 1.2 conversion factor.

Just this past week I called Princess to add $300 to my OBC and she told me the cost would be $360 Cdn on my Cdn CC.

Much to my surprise this morning there was a Princess charge on my Visa for $395.32.

Anyone else have similar issues and if so how were they resolved ?

What should the right amount charged to me be in Cdn $ ?..... Dave

Have you called back to Princess? It looks to me like the agent doing the transaction charged you $300 USD, instead of $360CAD to create the $300 USD OBC. Your "friendly" bank/VISA converted the $300 USD, plus usurious exchange rate and fees to the $395. Princess would not have such an odd number. Now, they should refund you the $300 USD and then charge you $360 CAD. But, if that what they propose, don't forget to tell them you will lose again - doubly - as this time the VISA/bank will discount the exchange and your refund will be MUCH less than $395 so, Princess will owe you a difference. (A LONG time ago, I ad a similar situation with Princess where they mischarged the balance on account on disembarking and they had to make me up a credit). At this point, you and Princess will be far better off if they simply offer you some additional OBC posted free of charge.

A similar mistake was made by Princess for our upcoming cruise. I spoke with many agents who kept moving me up the chain of command until someone final said THE supervisor would call. (I had already emailed the THE supervisor a note of explanation and the paper trail.)

THE supervisor called explaining that simply redoing everything was not possible so in the end asked if we would accept a couple of surcharge meals and a bottle of wine instead. Value wise we came out a few dollars ahead though we've since had our TA switch the wine for two cases of water and on this bottle switch Princess came out ahead!

Ruth

Not sure if this has already been posted, but it looks like Princess has increased their exchange rate from 1.20 to 1.25. Cruise that is $499 US is now showing as $623.75 CAD, etc.

I just checked my booked cruise. The price increase reflects a change in currency rate to $1.25 from $1.20.

Yup - Just today. To be honest, it's not surprising since the 1.20 has been below-market for along time. 1.25 is a very fair exchange rate right now. Glad to see they aren't gouging Canada like they used to a number of years back. It also means it is competitive to look at US TA rates.

A similar mistake was made by Princess for our upcoming cruise. I spoke with many agents who kept moving me up the chain of command until someone final said THE supervisor would call. (I had already emailed the THE supervisor a note of explanation and the paper trail.)

THE supervisor called explaining that simply redoing everything was not possible so in the end asked if we would accept a couple of surcharge meals and a bottle of wine instead. Value wise we came out a few dollars ahead though we've since had our TA switch the wine for two cases of water and on this bottle switch Princess came out ahead!

Ruth

Do you have the contact phone # or email of the supervisor that you dealt with ?

I need to follow up as I have the date and time of the Princess CSR who gave me the information at a 1.20 conversion. Especially important now that they have raisded the conversion to 1.25. My TA had mentioned that there would be a change Dec 1st.

Unfortunately not.

I started with an unknown person who answered the phone -- in fact went through a couple, both of whom put me on hold while they contacted their supervisor, a low level one I guess. At some point I was given a generic Email with attention to a higher level supervisor to whom I sent all the documentation.

It was she who called me. I never had access to her phone number but she did reply to my email promising a call.

Unlike so many experts on CC, once my problem was solved I kept no record of the exchanges beyond the new info on our booking.

I am sorry, fellow Canadian,

Ruth

• 6 months later...

The last posting on this thread was nearly six months ago.

We booked our Sept 2018 cruise in October 2017 in CDN$. The price of our cruise ended in .80.

I bought OBC from Princess a few years ago and could see, in advance of paying, the exchange rate I was being charged to buy US$ OBC, the ship's currency.

I looked into buying some OBC today by going online. I only have the option of purchasing $X number of dollars in increments of Canadian dollars... though I didn't take it to the final step... that I think means I would be charged today's exchange rate and not the rate that the cruise price was set with. Has the website changed? Has the ability of being able to buy OBC online, at the same exchange rate that you paid for the cruise, no longer available?

When I try to add OBC to my booking, it still offers me the OBC at the same rate I booked.

I booked at 1.20 exchange rate. I am offered 3 categories for adding OBC - $30, $60 or $120 Cdn. These amounts equate to adding $25, $50, or $100 US OBC to my shipboard account.

Don

When I try to add OBC to my booking, it still offers me the OBC at the same rate I booked.

I booked at 1.20 exchange rate. I am offered 3 categories for adding OBC - $30, $60 or $120 Cdn. These amounts equate to adding $25, $50, or $100 US OBC to my shipboard account.

Don

Same with all 3 of my bookings that were done at the $1.20. I am going to pre-buy all of my gambling money as OBC. It means I'm already a winner! ;p

Don

Good answer, lol!

I have some non-refundable OBC that I must spend on the cruise, use it or lose it, no problem, even though our tips are pre-paid.

If I buy additional OBC online and don't spend all of it, I believe it would be refundable?

Good answer, lol!

I have some non-refundable OBC that I must spend on the cruise, use it or lose it, no problem, even though our tips are pre-paid.

If I buy additional OBC online and don't spend all of it, I believe it would be refundable?

Yes.