New Canadian Exchange Rate Effective March 17th

bamelin

Yes I too see some cruises at $1.35 and others at $1.30. I recall noticing that once before when exchange rates were increasing. It was fall of 2015.

What I figured was happening then was the exchange rate changed with the change of itinerary of ships. For example, once a ship transitioned to the Alaska routes the exchange rate of those cruises increased. A ship that had started Alaska runs was higher while a ship that was still doing the last Mexico cruise and then a coastal to the Pacific Northwest was still lower until its first Alaska cruise. This prevented exchange rate competition between two different sailing dates to the same destination.

We were torn between B2B Quebec to NYC and back again or a couple of B2B's in the Mediterranean. The rate was changing from $1.10 to $1.20. Eastern Canada/NYC was at the higher $1.20 rate as the ship had just come from Europe to start Fall Foliage routes where as the ship that was still in the Med at the time was at $1.10 until it got to North America.

I think there was about two months with different rates on various ships then. Not sure if that is what is happening now or not. My two booked cruises in April/May have dropped to $1.30. The ship is leaving Australia for North America the day we board.

AE_Collector

Edited by AE_Collector
clarification and phrasing

Thank you steelers36, that means a lot to me coming from you as I have learned from your informative posts here over the years as well. Also because that was my first post here in over a year and a half. Why, let's just say that another member didn't appreciate my posts quite as much and decided to attack me online for a typo. I took it until they began attacking the credibility of my opinions in another unrelated topic because of that previous typo. I logged out and stayed out until now.

So, to keep,this informative (for Canadians in particular), why do the cents of the cruise price indicate the Princess exchange rate? Because almost all Princess cruise prices in $US end in 9 (dollars with no cents). Princess multiplies the US price by exactly 10% or maybe 20% or at the moment 35% depending on what they have decided they need it to be at that time.

$999 US X 10% exchange = $1098.90 CDN thus .90 cents confirms the Princess rate is $1.10

$1659 US X 20% exchange = $1990.80 CDN thus .80 cents confirms the Princess rate is $1.20

$2379 US X 35% exchange = $3211.65 CDN thus .65 cents confirms the Princess rate is $1.35

See the chart previously posted by canadarocks.

As I previously mentioned, there are anomalies since Princess $US prices don't always end in $9. And CDN exchange rate percentages that end in 5 such as the current 35% can produce cruise prices that end in .15 cents rather than .65 cents. But you get the idea.

The key thing to consider is that if you booked cruise in $CDN rather than $US and if that exchange rate now looks appealing compared to the current bank exchange rate as you get close to boarding, pre purchase a load of OBC to get the same rate on your spending money onboard including gratuities etc.

Incidentally, to be able to book in $CDN with Princess you have to hold a Canadian passport. But Canadians also have the option to pay in $US.

AE_Collector

Thanks for explaining this so clearly, as I really didn't understand the chart before.

I am glad you came back to post, as I am sorry to hear what happened before. I hope cruise critic can be kept positive as I have sure appreciated help I have been given. It is too bad when a few rotten apples spoil things.

Sadly I don't know what's is happening with princess today as I decided to book based on the prices today but when I went to book they changed on the agent in the middle of booking a back to back. Then The call was lost and when I called back the price had doubled. I feel like I wasted nearly 6 hours today and got nowhere. I am hoping they can resolve their issues. Wondering if it was just me?

Thanks for explaining this so clearly, as I really didn't understand the chart before.

I am glad you came back to post, as I am sorry to hear what happened before. I hope cruise critic can be kept positive as I have sure appreciated help I have been given. It is too bad when a few rotten apples spoil things.

Sadly I don't know what's is happening with princess today as I decided to book based on the prices today but when I went to book they changed on the agent in the middle of booking a back to back. Then The call was lost and when I called back the price had doubled. I feel like I wasted nearly 6 hours today and got nowhere. I am hoping they can resolve their issues. Wondering if it was just me?

I have a feeling something funky was going on with their website/bookings today. I checked one of my bookings and there appeared to be no change on the advertised price online, but if you went in to actually book a room the price that came out was significantly lower than the price showing. I called Princess and got an AMAZING rep who said the price he was seeinf was the price that I had originally booked under (no price drop). He wasn't able to find the price I was seeing when I went all the way through to book a cabin. Instead of just leaving it at that, he suggested that I book the cabin and put it on hold at the lower price so that he could then access the booking and find out what the deal was. I did as he suggested. So weird - the cruise was on an "Asia rates" promotion even though it wasn't going to Asia. He couldn't explain it either. BUT he was able to cancel my original booking and then transfer this held booking at the lower rate into my orginal cabin and save me almost $200!!! He was the best rep I have ever spoken with - apart from going the extra mile with this, we chatted about cruising, etc for about an hour!!!

We have pretty much stopped cruising and vacationing in the US because of the exchange rate. There are lots of other travel opportunities/destinations that we have been enjoying over the past few years. Prior to that we had been doing several cruises a year. This is a nice break for us and we very much enjoy land trips and AI's as much as we do cruising.

Having said that we did take a Crown Princess cruise in Feb. It was a surprise to us however Princess had a sale for Canadians, in CAD. It was only the second time in many cruises that we have booked in Canada. The sale did not last long but it was essentially an at par sale. The cruise price for our balcony was identical to the price we paid three years ago-same cruise, same ship, same time, same itinerary. Alas we did not end up going since we were offered, and accepted, an incredibly generous 'move over' offer from Princess.

Great deal Iancal, you have turned your good deal cruise into a great deal cruise with the move over offer.

As to weird things going on with pricing, I still can't figure out what the deal is with our upcoming Australia to LA cruise on Emerald Princess. I had been watching it for about a year to see if there would be an opportunity to grab a deal that would make up for the $1.35 exchange rate. Then it happened about the beginning of February and even logging in today the same deal is still there. Initially I see pricing in the $4500 to $7500 range but when I get to the point of picking a cabin prices are in the $3000 to $4400 range (inside through balcony). So we grabbed a full OV cabin for $3508 which has now dropped to $3375 with the exchange rate change.

With any booked (in $Canadian) cruises I would suspect that you will have to call to refare at the new price if it is lower which means that the current promotions and perks versus when you booked come into play. In other words, I don't think the price on a booking will just change due to the exchange rate change.

AE_Collector

Great deal Iancal, you have turned your good deal cruise into a great deal cruise with the move over offer.

As to weird things going on with pricing, I still can't figure out what the deal is with our upcoming Australia to LA cruise on Emerald Princess. I had been watching it for about a year to see if there would be an opportunity to grab a deal that would make up for the $1.35 exchange rate. Then it happened about the beginning of February and even logging in today the same deal is still there. Initially I see pricing in the $4500 to $7500 range but when I get to the point of picking a cabin prices are in the $3000 to $4400 range (inside through balcony). So we grabbed a full OV cabin for $3508 which has now dropped to $3375 with the exchange rate change.

With any booked (in $Canadian) cruises I would suspect that you will have to call to refare at the new price if it is lower which means that the current promotions and perks versus when you booked come into play. In other words, I don't think the price on a booking will just change due to the exchange rate change.

AE_Collector

Yes, that sounds like what happened with the cruise I had booked which, on the surface, didn't seem to have changed. I always go all the way through and make a fake booking to compare pricing to what I have already booked at. I had to jump through a few hoops to get the lower pricing as the rep couldn't find it but I did finally get it. This morning, that "glitch" has been fixed and the pricing is back up to where it originally was - glad I called immediately yesterday!

I just re-priced our upcoming Jan 2018 cruise and the price has fallen $700CDN for the both of us. This is still $1000CDN more than what we paid for the cruise in December. The usual Princess marketing as the cruises get closer to leaving.

Happy Cruising

The key thing to consider is that if you booked cruise in $CDN rather than $US and if that exchange rate now looks appealing compared to the current bank exchange rate as you get close to boarding, pre purchase a load of OBC to get the same rate on your spending money onboard including gratuities etc.

AE_Collector

Just to clarify, if we booked at an exchange rate of $1.30 are any OBCs I make to ourselves or excursions we purchase, we'll get the same rate and not the higher current one?

Not that I expect that to happen in our time frame, but I'd guess we'd be better off waiting to pay in advance should the rate come down. In other words, are we locked into this rate no matter which direction our dollar goes?

Thanks in advance,

Ruth

Yes, what ever the exchange rate was that determined your Canadian price of the cruise is the same exchange rate that will be used if you pre-purchase anything else including OBC for your cruise.

In my case my final payment date was 1 week before the March 17 drop in the Princess Canadian exchange rate. My only choice was to cancel and rebook a week later hoping the price (in $US) didn't go up, cruise didn't sell out or the lower Canadian exchange rate didn't fail to happen. So, I paid at $1.35 on final payment day now I am only able to pre-purchase OBC at the same $1.35 rate while everyone booking now gets the $1.30 rate. That is how it works.

AE_Collector

Well, as I mentioned, their are some anomalies! I have no idea what rate you are booked at but since you are booked it is a simple task to go look at some of the items you can pre-purchase at the same rate to determine what the actual exchange rate is.

AE_Collector

I'm really confused............ The cruise I booked Nov /17 on the Royal ends in 2409.21

so what exchange rate would that be???

Another way, is to call to make an OBC on a Canadian credit card and ask how much an OBC for $100 USD would cost.

We did this a couple of years ago and it worked.

We were careful NOT to add our US fund credit card to our registration until just before we sailed. That way there could be no slip ups when purchasing OBC at Princess' favourable rate.

Ruth

I'm really confused............ The cruise I booked Nov /17 on the Royal ends in 2409.21

so what exchange rate would that be???

Does your $2409.21 include the taxes & fees?

The exchange rate "decoder" only works on the cruise fare only.

Another way, is to call to make an OBC on a Canadian credit card and ask how much an OBC for $100 USD would cost.

We did this a couple of years ago and it worked.

We were careful NOT to add our US fund credit card to our registration until just before we sailed. That way there could be no slip ups when purchasing OBC at Princess' favourable rate.

Ruth

You can also log into your cruise personalizer, go to onboard reservations to buy OBC, which wiil be shown in Cdn$ (at the exchange rate you booked the cruise).

If you call to buy OBC, confirm and re-confirm it will be charged in Canadian dollars (on your C$ credit card).

Ruth

Well they can still slip up by charging $100 US to your Canadian card as $100 US for the credit card company to convert at the current rate plus exchange fees. I had this happen twice on different cruises in the 2014/2015 time frame. Then, surprise, when you get it all cancelled and reversed the credit card companies usually have a clause where they keep the exchange fees out of the refund in this situation. In the cancel/refund transaction with Princess I immediately spun the wheel and purchased OBC again (successfully this time). This saved the day with the credit card company as I was able to point out that Princess had simply messed up the first time as evidenced by my immediate repurchase after the refund. The CC company refunded the fees to me without a further argument.

AE_Collector

Well they can still slip up by charging $100 US to your Canadian card as $100 US for the credit card company to convert at the current rate plus exchange fees. I had this happen twice on different cruises in the 2014/2015 time frame. Then, surprise, when you get it all cancelled and reversed the credit card companies usually have a clause where they keep the exchange fees out of the refund in this situation. In the cancel/refund transaction with Princess I immediately spun the wheel and purchased OBC again (successfully this time). This saved the day with the credit card company as I was able to point out that Princess had simply messed up the first time as evidenced by my immediate repurchase after the refund. The CC company refunded the fees to me without a further argument.

AE_Collector

Our last Princess cruise was a couple of years ago and on a similar thread some kind poster had a similar experience. So when I called to make an OBC I confirmed a couple of times the amount to be charged in Canadian $ before giving a credit card number, thus avoiding your hassle.

Recent cruises have been on HAL and Celebrity, neither of which offers this deal.

Ruth

Our last Princess cruise was a couple of years ago and on a similar thread some kind poster had a similar experience. So when I called to make an OBC I confirmed a couple of times the amount to be charged in Canadian $ before giving a credit card number, thus avoiding your hassle.

Ruth

The very long running "Canadian Princess Cruisers" thread. Almost for sure it was me. I had many discussions there trying to determine what occasionally caused this even to happen even AFTER confirming the amount in Canadian that would be charged to my card. A couple other people reported this unexpectedly happening as well.

What I never did come back and report there was that I did finally along with the help of an excellent Princess Rep uncover what occasionally caused the charge to revert to US$ on your credit card.

If you chose the $25, $50, $100 or $500 OBC options they were coded to check the rate in Canadian that you were booked at, do the conversion and charge in $CAD to your credit card. BUT, there was also an option they could use where you picked your amount of OBC and they did it in one transaction. Easier for the rep to use that option if you wanted...say $2000 rather than doing $500 four times. This one option was incorrectly coded and resulted in the $US amount being charged to your Canadian card.

I don't know if it was ever "fixed" in their computers but it was for me, I always chose multiples of $500 after learning this.

AE_Collector

Edited by AE_Collector
correcting a typo

• 3 months later...

Does Princess calculate Canadian rate at certain times of the year or is it random? The reason I'm asking is because of the last 2 weeks our Canadian $ has made steady progression . The rate yesterday was 130.20.We booked our 2017 TA at 1.30 w/Sip & Sail promo. That is fine. I,m wondering about the 22 day Baltic / British Passage TA. We have that cruise booked w/the Sip & Sail at 130 CAD. rate.

Ciao

Ollie

Does Princess calculate Canadian rate at certain times of the year or is it random? The reason I'm asking is because of the last 2 weeks our Canadian $ has made steady progression . The rate yesterday was 130.20.We booked our 2017 TA at 1.30 w/Sip & Sail promo. That is fine. I,m wondering about the 22 day Baltic / British Passage TA. We have that cruise booked w/the Sip & Sail at 130 CAD. rate.

Ciao

Ollie

My understanding is that the exchange rate at the time of booking remains, whether our Canadian currency rises or falls. When we booked at $1.30 it was a great exchange rate but I fear no matter how far our dollar might rise, the currency is fixed for our winter cruise.

I'm not sure if one could negotiate a new price if a lower one is posted when they adjust the exchange rate.

We had planned to give ourselves OBC but certainly won't now.

Ruth

My understanding is that the exchange rate at the time of booking remains, whether our Canadian currency rises or falls. When we booked at $1.30 it was a great exchange rate but I fear no matter how far our dollar might rise, the currency is fixed for our winter cruise.

I'm not sure if one could negotiate a new price if a lower one is posted when they adjust the exchange rate.

We had planned to give ourselves OBC but certainly won't now.

Ruth

I am also booked at the $1.30 rate. I went online to CIBC today and it would cost me $130.32 for $100 usd. So Princess is still the better option for buying OBC (which I did before the Cdn dollar rose).

Sent from my LG-H812 using Tapatalk