Embarkation Day Restaurant Question

HermmyGranger

Eurodam Alaska September 2017. This will be my first cruise in well over twenty years. I'm traveling with my mom, who is a 3* Mariner, but she hasn't traveled on HAL in quite a few years. I've heard that we'll have the option of a Mariner lunch on embarkation day. I've also heard that it can be a mob scene. Any other recommendations for lunch on embarkation day that won't include a mob? What do "people" generally do?

Eurodam Alaska September 2017. This will be my first cruise in well over twenty years. I'm traveling with my mom, who is a 3* Mariner, but she hasn't traveled on HAL in quite a few years. I've heard that we'll have the option of a Mariner lunch on embarkation day. I've also heard that it can be a mob scene. Any other recommendations for lunch on embarkation day that won't include a mob? What do "people" generally do?

From all reports, the Mariner Lunch has been discontinued. Lunch is available in the MDR, Dive Inn, Lido Market, Explorations Cafe (snack sandwiches), and Pizza Inn on the aft Lido Deck. If you want to miss the mob scene in the Lido Market, board early or just take your lunch back to your stateroom for consumption. We usually bring our lunch and eat on our verandah while all passengers are embarking.

ALL passengers can eat in the main dining room on Embarkation day. It is no longer restricted to just Mariners.

The main dining room is open from Noon until 1:30 PM.

A few times for our Alaskan cruises the dining room was closed for special events. Other embarkation ports we have not had a problem.

If it is closed you have a choice of the Lido buffet, the new Dive-In (replaced the Terrace Grill but still has hamburgers and hot dogs and chicken burgers -- many with special sauces), pizza and room service if they are not too busy with other duties.

When the dining room is closed on embarkation day, we fortunately have to Neptune Lounge to get snacks -- for Neptune and Pinnacle Suite passengers.

Pinnacle Grill and Tamarind are closed.

We went to the Mariner lunch on our most recent (Jan 13) cruise. It was not crowded at all. We went to the desk and were seated right away. Very nice lunch, give it a try. Otherwise, up to the Lido, that's good too! :)

Unless they change it for Alaska, everyone is welcome at the embarkation lunch. It changed a while back.

This was the case for us in December on the Zuiderdam. The lunch in the main dining room is a very leisurely way to wait for the cabins to be available. Food was good and we didn't have to stand in a line like the Lido Buffet. There was no crowd.

The lunch in the main dining room is a very leisurely way to wait for the cabins to be available.

Except for unusual circumstances, the cabins are available when you board. No need to "wait".

Room Service is available for lunch on embarkation day. I have had a sandwich delivered while I unpacked.

But I really prefer the MDR luncheon for that relaxed feeling of Welcome Aboard time after the "push" to get to the ship; it really begins my vacation! Last time I ordered a nice fish lunch (salmon or tilapia maybe?), and DH had a steak sandwich. There was a starter and I think they poured a complimentary wine for us; a selection of desserts was offered but we passed. It was leisurely and calm. m--