Disembarkation From Southampton

JB9302

Just looking at sorting the return train journey home when Q720 arrives in Southampton on 10th June this year , ideally would like to book the 10.17am train from Southampton Central to Manchester .

Anyone with any experience can indicate whether we would be better self disembarking to achieve that train and is it achievable ?

Earlier/Later trains are 9.18/11.20am

Thanks

If you self embark you might make the 1017 train but that is if the ship docks on time I have been on a few cruises where we were late docking due to various conditions i.e. engine trouble and bad weather/sea conditions so it does happen. I certainly wouldn't entertain the 0918 and if I was in your position I would choose the 1120. Leisurely breakfast vacate stateroom and then you have plenty of time to disembark collect your suitcases go through customs and to get a taxi.

I recommend self-help disembarkation. If all is well that could start at 7:00 and you could leave the ship any time at your convenience. If you take the regular disembarkation, you might not be leaving the ship until 10:00 depending on your category (Grills or Britannia) and your deck.

With self-help you might even catch an earlier train if your tickets permit that. Several years ago we disembarked with self-help and caught a train to the north around 9:00. We have never had a problem getting a taxi for the 10-minute trip to the station.

We will be traveling to London after disembarking. Trying to decide the best way to get there - private car service costs a bundle, the Cunard transfers are sort of pricey, too. We'll be in no hurry since we cannot check in to our flat until mid-afternoon. Is the train a good option?

We will be traveling to London after disembarking. Trying to decide the best way to get there - private car service costs a bundle, the Cunard transfers are sort of pricey, too. We'll be in no hurry since we cannot check in to our flat until mid-afternoon. Is the train a good option?

Direct trains from Southampton Central to London (Waterloo) are very frequent. Check out times at National Rail Enquiries: http://ojp.nationalrail.co.uk/service/planjourney/search

Direct trains from Southampton Central to London (Waterloo) are very frequent. Check out times at National Rail Enquiries: http://ojp.nationalrail.co.uk/service/planjourney/search

With South West Trains, who offer the fastest journey to London there is an offer on

for £14 single adult against usual fare of £41.20 single

Travel between Saturday 14 January and Sunday 9 April 2017 and explore with South West Trains. Just £14 for adults and for £3 kids, with an advanced Off-Peak single ticket.

You can travel any day between 14 January and 9 April (apart from 4 / 5 March due to significant engineering work on the network).

All you need to do is travel off peak and pre purchase ticket before 2359hrs before day of travel. All day Sat and Sundays are off peak. The first Off peak train weekdays is 0955 The journey is between 1hr 20mins and 1hrs 40mins depending which fast SWT train you get,

Tickets can be bought on line for collection at Southampton Central Railway Station ticket machines.(Or whichever South West Train Station you are using)

Fast Trains usually depart from Platform 1 at Southampton Central

This ticket is not specified for a particular train other than off peak.

You will need the Credit Card you used to purchase the tickets when collecting them from the machine

book through

https://buytickets.southwesttrains.co.uk/journey

see

https://www.southwesttrains.co.uk/offers--days-out/offers/promotion/

images from

https://www.londontoolkit.com/travel/southampton_train.htm

and

http://www.winchestertoday.co.uk/2014/09/wifi-arrives-on-south-west-trains-through-winchester-at-last/

529831174_LOLimage.jpg.51157592ca1e8ccdbb09ef7a463a59a1.jpg

1644884366_LOLStationimage.jpg.1b2d375995c2e7277d1d59145d4ca868.jpg

Edited by Pennbank

But they want to go to Manchester.

I'd just book an off-peak single (£109.60, or £20 extra for first class as it's a weekend train) and make a reservation on the 10:17. If you miss it then you can still use your ticket on the 11:20 (but not the 10:30 as it's not valid via London).

I do this type of thing all time as I frequently travel from Euston to Chester during the week. I book a full fare ticket, always make a reservation but sometimes I I'm my booked seat, sometimes I get an earlier train, and sometimes a later one, just depends on how my business has gone during the day.

Just looking at sorting the return train journey home when Q720 arrives in Southampton on 10th June this year , ideally would like to book the 10.17am train from Southampton Central to Manchester .

Anyone with any experience can indicate whether we would be better self disembarking to achieve that train and is it achievable ?

Earlier/Later trains are 9.18/11.20am

Thanks

Have you looked at cruise connect coaches? we just booked a one way for after our crossing, £57pp to Stoke much easier than the train and no luggage to maul in a taxi and on a train..

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

You can't complain for £50 each 1st Class (but no brekky on weekends !).

Yes quite happy with that price for a weekday ticket , drink and snack only on return trip as its weekend , good brekky on board ship should see us through .

Thanks for the replies , I think we will book the 11.20am to return to M/C , just booked the journey down 1st class £50 each .

Did you book the Cunard fare? If so coach travel would have been a free option, especially good when joining a ship if any delays they will wait for official coaches, they won't wait for a delayed train..

Did you book the Cunard fare? If so coach travel would have been a free option, especially good when joining a ship if any delays they will wait for official coaches, they won't wait for a delayed train..

Yes we did , thought the train journey would be a bit more comfortable than a coach (but no experience of long coach journey) .

Travelling down by train on the Friday just to be on the safe side .

Yes we did , thought the train journey would be a bit more comfortable than a coach (but no experience of long coach journey) .

Travelling down by train on the Friday just to be on the safe side .

We think it's the easiest way to travel to and from, once cases are on coach the next time you see them is in your cabin, and the coaches are all executive type used by football clubs for the team, all very relaxed with a few stops on the way..it's worth a try next time..[emoji106]

We think it's the easiest way to travel to and from, once cases are on coach the next time you see them is in your cabin, and the coaches are all executive type used by football clubs for the team, all very relaxed with a few stops on the way..it's worth a try next time..[emoji106]

Do you have to travel far to the pick appoint ? , just had a look for us and nearest would be Services Nr Barnsley M1 or Knutsford Sevices M6 27/30 miles away .

Do you have to travel far to the pick appoint ? , just had a look for us and nearest would be Services Nr Barnsley M1 or Knutsford Sevices M6 27/30 miles away .

Keele services just a few miles away using the rear service entrance.. not much good for you then really..!